Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommendation: Fluro packable road jacket with lots of reflectives
  • SandyThePig
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m after a rain jacket for road commuting that is fairly snug fitting, and packs down into a pocket for optional use. It’s got to be bright and have lots of reflectives on it.

A plus might be detachable sleeves, but I’m probably asking for the world here.

Does anyone have anything of note to recommend? Not really wanting to spend more than £60-70.

matt_outandabout

I have one of these:

Over a proper waterproof. Job Done.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I don’t really want a massive sail though.

jota180
    Free Member

Have a look at Altura Night Vision

druidh
    Free Member

Montane Featherlight Velo. Comes in Flouro yellow and has reflective stripes on body, sleeves and zip.

No zip-off sleeves though.
    [img]http://www.montane.co.uk/repository/documents/images/newproducts/colour/1876.jpg[/img]

tonyplym
    Free Member

This one or maybe this one from Ground Effect might be suitable ?

I’ve ordered stuff from them before – delivery has always been prompt and efficient.

druidh
    Free Member

Ooh, that GE one looks great. I like the zip-off sleeve idea and it’s proper waterproof, not barely showerproof. 295g though – that probably makes it a lot bulkier than the Montane.

CraigW
    Free Member

Polaris jacket, fairly cheap, though maybe not actually waterproof: http://www.polaris-apparel.co.uk/product/rbs-jacket

Or a vest: http://www.polaris-apparel.co.uk/product/rbs-flash

shortcut

Altura Nightvision springs to mind!

snowpaul
    Free Member

polaris RBS commuter – orange / yellow / reflective = light n cheap – great jacket

paul

andylux
    Free Member

Montane Velo H2O, superlightweight, waterproof and packs down smaller than a tennis ball. Really pleased with it and was fifty quid ish.

footflaps

I have the Altura Night Vision Gillet for using at night when I don’t want the full waterproof. It packs up very small as it’s very thin. In winter, I commute using a Night Vision Jacket, but it’s not packable (well compact packable).

timb34
    Free Member

I have a Polaris RBS jacket: Really bright (although the orange strip makes me feel like a Danish policeman – dunno why), good all-round reflective bits (including on the arms), light and reasonably packable.

But it’s definitely a windproof rather than a waterproof, and the shape is “relaxed” rather than “athletic”.

It’s mostly dry where I live, so I didn’t need a full waterproof, and I always beat the breathability of waterproofs anyway, due to sweating like mad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For reflective, it’s hard to beat Altura Night Vision stuff (Although Mavic’s crazy orange kit is pretty good.)

However, I’d suggest getting a good jacket and then going for reflective as an add on. Ankle bands, Sam Browne belts etc, all very effective. I’d rather have my jacket work as a jacket first and foremost, rather than a jacket/reflective compromise.

footflaps

I’d rather have my jacket work as a jacket first and foremost, rather than a jacket/reflective compromise.

Once you get over looking like a motorway worker, the Altura Night Vision jackets are excellent jackets, took me years to get round to getting one, but I can’t fault it at all.

EDIT: Mine is the EVO variant, slightly lighter and more breathable (apparently).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Once you get over looking like a motorway worker, the Altura Night Vision jackets are excellent jackets, took me years to get round to getting one, but I can’t fault it at all.

In that case, carry on! I must admit I’ve not tried one, was basing my opinion on them more on the outstanding visibility side of them.

footflaps

In that case, carry on! I must admit I’ve not tried one, was basing my opinion on them more on the outstanding visibility side of them.

That’s what finally made me get one, you can spot people a mile off in Winter with them on, so I finally swallowed my pride, ditched my fashionable Black soft-shell jacket and got one.

Bregante

Conversely I found my Altura night vision next to useless. I sweated so much in it that I may as well not have worn a jacket at all, resulting in me getting cold on longer wet rides. I now wear a gore soft shell which keeps me warm no matter how wet I get.

That montane H2O looks a good buy though from here £40 ish if you qualify for their 10% off first time customer discount – anyone bought from them?

http://www.agoora.co.uk/ShoppingCart.asp

footflaps

Conversely I found my Altura night vision next to useless.

There are two versions: Original and EVO. I’ve only tried the EVO which is made from a more breathable material. It also has huge side vents which keep you from boiling to death.

I now wear a gore soft shell which keeps me warm no matter how wet I get.

You’ll never find a waterproof which breathes as well as a soft shell…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommendation: Fluro packable road jacket with lots of reflectives’ is closed to new replies.