Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommendadtions for a 'pocket sized' torch.
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m after a new torch, something small to use for walking back from the pub either on the road or through the woods. Would like something I can stick in a jacket pocket. runs on AA batteries and will run for around an hour. Had fenix before which was good but I can’t find it, also have a cheap one I bought off eBay for in the house which is also fine although when the beam is ‘zoomed’ it’s a bit rubbish.

Budget around £30.

cheers

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve got two of these – Takes a AAA battery. I attach them to my bike helmet with a loop of innertube through two of the vents and they sit nicely but unobtrusively on top.
    Ideal for seeing what you’re doing on a night ride without blinding your mates. Also set them to flash when I’m riding on the road back from the trails for increased visibility.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/miniature-cree-led-torch-a93kf

Gary_M
    Free Member

looks good, although 85lumen may be a bit dim for going through the woods, maybe not though.

I do like the look of this on the fenix site although it is overkill.

The fenix e12 looks good too.

So USB rechargable would be great too, not a deal breaker but very handy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Olight S20 baton.

iainc

I just use my Joystick…..

nickjb
    Free Member

Any particular reason you want AA batteries? If you go for an 18650 battery there are literally hundreds of cheap chinese torches with loads of lumens. Run times will be better than a couple of AAs too. Will need a charger and probably a spare battery but that’ll be a tenner all in.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I could take the joystick, which would be fine when I don’t need it on the bike. But as I use mine for commuting I’m screwed if I forget to bring it home.

iainc

I’m after a new torch, something small to use for walking back from the pub either on the road or through the woods.

But as I use mine for commuting I’m screwed if I forget to bring it home.

well if you forget to bring it home when you’re using it to walk home from the pub you’re either very pissed or you’ve been murdered in the Killie woods 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Olight S20 looks good but it’s not AA.

I’d rather use AA’s as I know its always got power, or I can just stick a spare AA in if not. I don’t want a separate charger ideally. Plus a torch with a 18650 is a bit bigger too.

well if you forget to bring it home when you’re using it to walk home from the pub you’re either very pissed or you’ve been murdered in the Killie woods

Ah it’s not for home use Iain, its for our caravan and the walk back from the Anchor.

Stoner
    Free Member
    jam-bo

i just use my phone.

chewkw
    Free Member

Olight S20 Baton LED Torch 550 Lumen Output – half price!

Ya! Blind you!

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s the one I’ve got at home stoner and it’s likely the one I’ll buy again. Just wondering what else is out there.

i just use my phone.

For an hours walk, or do you use it to phone a taxi?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just get another fenix. Big fan of the pd35. Totally nothing like your request for ideas though, in true STW (I have this so it’s brilliant and everyone must buy one) fashion.

Got a wee nitecore single aa on my key fob which is super bright, easy to get batteries and has lasted

Stoner
    Free Member

crikey, how much light do you need to get back from the pub then? 🙂

jam-bo

For an hours walk, or do you use it to phone a taxi?

if it were an hours walk back from the pub through dark woods, then yes I’d use my phone to call a taxi.

or go to a closer pub.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh and 85l is more than enough for walking through the woods.

Gary_M
    Free Member

if it were an hours walk back from the pub through dark woods

Well I wouldn’t walk back through the woods, I’d use the road. I might walk through the woods to the pub though.

binners

I’d go for something a bit more dramatic in case you encounter any werewolves in the woods

And no batteries to worry about

chewkw
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

crikey, how much light do you need to get back from the pub then?

You need the torch to produce temporary blindness … 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wouldn’t fit in my pocket.

superleggero
    Free Member

I like the build quality and performance of the LED Lenser torches. They do the job well and and should last the course. I’ve been using a couple for a few years now and they are good.

The LED Lenser P6.2 at £32.95 fits your spec. It’s 16.3cm long, takes 2AAs and is rated at 200 lumens: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Led-Lenser-LED9406TP-P6-2-Torch/dp/B00HZRDIFK

Also worth checking out the consumer reviews on Amazon which are quite favourable.

CountZero

These are excellent little keyring torches:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThruNite®-T10T-Flashlight-Single-titanium/dp/B00JZOZBBK
    162 lumens from a AAA, the glow worm function is surprisingly handy at 0.5lm, if you just want to see a keyhole, or find your way around a very dark room without dazzling yourself. Very floody light, with even spread and no centre hotspot, perfect for walking along a road or woodland path.
    I’ve got a bunch of 18650 torches, and they’re great, but they’re also big and bulky, usually, and can almost be too bright.
    I’ve recommended this one a whole bunch of times, and it just gets cheaper, it’s a fantastic little light, takes a AA/14500 Li-ion, and puts out 230lm. Really well made, I’ve got three, I’ve used them on my bike with a Twofish block, and on my crash hat as well, had them for years, and they’re pretty reliable.
    One of mine has gone missing, but as I only paid around £12 originally, and they’re now down to £8.50, I’m going to buy three more, they’re that good!
    http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120912#.VvAT-PDfWK0
    A bit more of a centre spot, ideal on a bike with the outer ‘halo’ picking up verges.
    Really unbeatable at the price.

CountZero

Putting my money where my mouth is, I’ve just completed an order for three more of those little TrustFire flashlights.
    Been using them for six or seven years, worth every penny.

Alphabet

What Stoner recommended +1

I’ve got a few of them knocking about and use them in all sorts of wet and muddy conditions without any issues.

CountZero

I really can’t see the point of ‘zoomable’ torches, they’re a complete waste of time; zoom in too much and you get a glowing square that’s the actual LED chip, when what’s needed is a nice smooth bright circle fading into a dimmer outer ring to pick out the edges of paths, etc.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My £12 Aldi ones do that, but just set them to 95% zoom and it’s fine 🙂

BillMC

Those rechargeable Chinese ones are amazing vfm, just make sure you order one with a charger. About a tenner all in, obscene really.

I’ve got one of these for work, plenty bright enough, takes AA’s, has a dual mode with side emitting led’s and a handy magnetic base. £20 from my electrical wholesaler. Used it loads and still on first set of batteries…

slowoldman

I would go for a head torch to leave both hands free in case a badger jumps out at you.

CountZero

I like the idea f the flashlight with the COB worklight built in, I was looking at getting one of those worklights for when I have to burrow inside machines at work, but having it along with a regular flashlight is really handy.
    Maplin?

I like the idea f the flashlight with the COB worklight built in, I was looking at getting one of those worklights for when I have to burrow inside machines at work, but having it along with a regular flashlight is really handy.
    Maplin?

I got mine off the trade counter at Edmundsons Electrical, but guessing they are available elsewhere

CountZero

Just had a look around, Amazon have it for £21.98, which is pretty good. Handy for the car, too.

Northwind

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7W-600lm-CREE-Q5-LED-Zoomable-Mini-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-AA-14500-3-Modes-/162011010370?hash=item25b89bd542:g:u0gAAOSwoBtW16Yg

I have a couple of these- they cost bugger all, they’re reasonably bright, and zoomable, and titchy. Not much bigger than a C cell battery.

The catch is, they don’t run on AAs, they run on AA-sized lipos. But a pair of IMR cells and a decent charger is just over a tenner. AAs are pretty limiting, they make everything heavier and bulkier.

(actually, I think it would run on an AA, just not very well)

bones
    Free Member

I’ve got a fenix e12. Bout the size of my index finger, single AA, decent brightness n runtime, not bad price.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the fenic e12 and the led lenser P5.2.

The cheap ebay ones are fine but I do find the zoom feature a bit irritating, particularly the way way you see the led chip as mentioned above.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommendadtions for a 'pocket sized' torch.’ is closed to new replies.