Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • recommend WordPress or similar?
  • jamiep
    Free Member

My aunt has set up as a part time consultant and is working but is yet to sort a website for promoting her services to new clients.

Any suggestions such as WordPress? It will need to be VERY SIMPLE for her to use, but the content won’t change – a few intro paragraphs and a way to get in contact. No shop required.

WordPress is only £2.50 / month for one’s own domain name.

And she’d need help with organising etc emails. Cheers

Cougar

WordPress is about as simple as it gets. Though if the content won’t change, I wouldn’t bother. No-one will visit it, ever.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wix, Weebly and others are even simpler. Just drag stuff about where you want rather than be restricted to the design of a template and the columns and sidebar structure of WordPress.

WordPress is nice but I find it’s more faff these days to get a nice looking site than other options and you have to pay for some good templates or get down and dirty with CSS to do it yourself. Also WordPress is still primarily designed around blogging.

As for a static site, depends what it is. Plenty of sites I go to that never change. I’m just looking for the contact details or a particular thing to download and it’s always there.

Sandwich

If she has her own domain then hosted Exchange or similar for email will look more professional than joe.bloggs@gmail.com or consultantforhire@outlook.com. I hesitate to say hosted exchange is easy to set up as it took a while for MS to get our DKIM certs generated, I would recommend using a partner if your aunt doesn’t have mad tech skilz or the patience to plug away direct with MS or a similar provider.

Any SEO or similar consultant sending email from addresses like this go straight in the bin here.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wordpress is about as simple as it gets. Though if the content won’t change, I wouldn’t bother. No-one will visit it, ever.

But it still needs to be there for when potential customers want to check her out.

WordPress is good for me, but you need reasonable CMS literacy. Are you helping with the build?

It’s fine for static sites BTW, my company one came out very nicely.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Or just get Office 365 Business. Essentials package gets you email with option to use your own domain (basically it’s Office 365 Exchange), 1TB OneDrive and online Office apps (via the web). 365 Business Premium gets you same plus desktop installable Office suite.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/business/office-365-business-premium

But the original question was about web hosting not email, but a fair point about professional look with email.

rossburton
    Free Member

The problem with WordPress is that it’s a security nightmare. My blog was hosted on WordPress with strong passwords, no plugins, and automatic security updates: I still got two emails from the hosting company alerting me that my account was running password crackers and spam senders, installed via 0-day exploits in WordPress.

I’ve heard good things about Squarespace: they host it, the editor is all drag and drop, and they’ll also register domains and presumably handle email forwarding too.

jamiep
    Free Member

Thanks a lot, the email bit is very relevant too. A hosted email is necessary, to remove the ‘@gmail’ bit from her address. Is there an all in one sevice that includes hosted email AND hosted wordpress or similar?

She just needs a basic site so that she has a web presence with a few stories on

chakaping
    Free Member

Give TSO Host a bell, they are very reasonably priced and also have good customer service (which it sounds like she’ll need).

Who’s building the site though? It does require a modicom of ability/experience.

AlexSimon

Another vote for TSO Host for hosting.
    I still can’t believe how good they are for the price. Every time I phone, I get a human almost instantly!
    Their cheapest package is fine. I use it for microsites all the time.

Sandwich

Fasthosts (I think I recall) have a dodgy reputation. Google whoever gets chosen to make sure they are not going to play silly buggers with Terms & Conditions. There are some sharks in the hosting business.

jamiep
    Free Member

TSO Host looks entirely suitable 8)

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Wix is really simple to set up and edit, I used it for my own site a few weeks ago, had a good looking site within a few hours. (Well, I think so, lol)

upshift
    Free Member

My company would be happy to help. We won’t be the cheapest option, but we’ve helped a number of owner-managed businesses with security-concious WordPress website builds, hosting and email set up, plus we have in-house graphic design for branding, business cards and polishing the overall look.

Feel free to send a direct message and I’ll arrange for one of the team to get in touch to run through some options.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘recommend WordPress or similar?’ is closed to new replies.