Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend – Veggie meal for Mr & Mrs FD & Jnr FD (1 year old)
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We currently make quite a few stews etc using chicken/beef etc but dont want to overload ourselves or jnr with too much meat.

So recommend me some easy to cook veggie meals that will be good for us all. However must not include peppers, or nuts!

Ta

aP
    Free Member

This may have something for you
    The Leek fritters are verr verr nice. HIs new restaurant isn’t too shabby either.

aP
    Free Member

Alternatively Baked Beans on toast also meets your criteria.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

You could make the same stew using Quorn chunks instead of chicken?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is an Annabel Karmel recipe for a secret vegetable pasta sauce that our girls go mad for (and is very nice for adults). We sometimes give it to them as a simple veggie meal, sometimes add bits of diced chicken.

In fact Annabel Karmel does lots of really good recipes that are equally nice for adults.

Here you go – found it…

aP
    Free Member

Quorn? Have you no imagination? or soul? Mould, grown in starch waste products, processed in a big factory and then textured so that it tastes a bit like chicken. hhhmmmmmm…..
    or maybe this?

brassneck

Still rather eat Quorn than a chicken. Mold Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Chickpea, carrot and leek curry – haven’t go the recipe to hand but basically lighlty fry onions, add curry powder (for ease) to taste, add the other stuff (pre nuke carrots for speed) and add cocnut cream/milk to make up the sauce.. little veg stock if you like the sauce runnier.

Lush, and brassneck jnrs like it too – it’s quite sweet after simmering a while.

BigJohn

I make a beautiful curry.

Blanch chunks of sweet potato, then add in chunks of cauli. Then drain.
    Fry chopped onions, garlic and halved mushrooms. Half a jar of Tesco green thai curry paste (use no other! – and I’m a spice snob who usually does his own) Chuck in the sweet potato and cauli and cover with coconut milk. (I use packet, but a tin is good).

We usually have it with chapattis.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I have no kids/no idea about kids- but this courgette lasagne recipe is extremely easy and tasty

Junkyard
    Free Member

Quorn is so processed it cannot be eaten by chldren under 2 years of age – this is Quorns own advice
    Curries
    Chilli using beans – make sure they are cooked properly
    Pastas but have big shapes so easy to grab by hand
    Just cut up raw veg and go all macrobiotic easy to eat for bairn.
    Refired beans and Pitta breads
    TBH I cant recall I just had what I normally made and gave some to the baby- I assume most veggie food is the same tbh.
    Nuts?? allergy or fear of it? Risk of allergy if eating early was bad advice and retracted – search Google for this unless they have changed their opinion again 🙄 Ignor eif actual allergy obviously.
    any food that goes soft/mushy [ mushroom aubergine] seem to be least favoured.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Cook some kidney beans (Don’t ever use tinned ones – they are nasty: squishy, salty, expensive). Cool. Dressing is knob of ginger (grated), couple of garlic cloves (grated), nice olive oil, tamari, splash of balsamic, some cumin, any herbs you’ve got. Our little girl was scoffing that since we was teeny.

And why not nuts?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh, our two also like egg noodles – sometimes boiled then fried along with veg/meat then tossed in honey (okay after 1yr old apparently) and soy. Sometimes we just boil them and toss in the honey and soy.

We also regularly do Spanish Tortilla and Italian Pizza Pie. Essentially both the same thing – lots of veg fried up (whatever you have) and meat too if you fancy it. For Spanish version you fry veg with lots of potato, for Italian you boil some pasta and add it after veg is cooked. Then turn heat down and add whisked egg to cover it all and cook slowly so it is cooked through.

Great finger food and any left-over keeps in a fridge for a day or so.

Cougar

Quorn? Have you no imagination? or soul?

Sorry, I didn’t realise that a prerequisite for having soul was hacking lumps out of animals and then processing them to make them unrecognisable for the squeamish.

Quorn is so processed it cannot be eaten by chldren under 2 years of age

Good spot, didn’t know that.

spooky_b329

Courgette lasagne recipe seconded (if its the one with grated courgette, I suspect it is)
    Also, leek crustade, vegetable stir-fry, lentil Dahl, lentil Shepards Pie.
    If you are just trying to vary from meat, how about some fish?

Harry_the_Spider

Bean pasta – A winner in our house!

1 x large potato
    1 x large carrot
    1 x leek
    1 x carton of pasata
    1 pint veg stock
    1 x 440g tin borlotti beans

Dried herbs to taste

Rosemary
    Sage
    Thyme
    Basil

Pasta

200g wholewheat fusilli

Dice the carrot, spud and leek and fry off in olive oil in a large saucepan pan with the herbs until soft.

Add the stock and pasata and simmer with the lid on for 20 mins.

Add the beans and simmer for a further 20 mins.

This makes a load. We divide it into 3 and freeze it, each portion serves 2 adults and 2 small kids.

Cook the pasta and stir in the sauce. Add a bit of grated cheese on top and serve with garlic bread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend – Veggie meal for Mr & Mrs FD & Jnr FD (1 year old)’ is closed to new replies.