Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend somewhere to stay in New York
  • jimr80
    Free Member

So we are going to New York in May for the first time and looking for somewhere to put our heads down for 5 nights. We intend to do all the normal touristy things so we will probably need somewhere to make that as hassle free as possible. Budget wise we are not minted so something that offers fare value for money whilst not being a hovel. We have done all the usual google searches but not knowing anything regards location and getting about we are struggling. So any recommendations welcome plus if yo want to recommend things to do and see feel free.

gallowayboy

Stayed here for a few nights last summer – suited us fine, plenty of shops/diners nearby etc. Its in Upper West side, so not central, near top end of central park, subway nearby as well.

Broadway hostel

Accommodation in NY is not cheap, and it does get booked up long time in advance. Good luck!

Edit: we did a lot of walking – its a great way to see the city. Our one concesion to spending was the Top Of The Rock (rockaffeler centre) which was worth it.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

belvedere hotel (midtown).. close to time square and most places you need. very good stay here with the family and very reasonable price but we got it in a promo, we booked way ahead of time … if you have to choose which to climb between rockefeller and empire state.. choose the rockefeller and have pics of empire state as background.. go to brooklyn there is a place there where you can walk and see the NY skyline.. i changed £100 to all $1 bill in tesco prior leaving, trust me its very handy for tipping (seems like its their way of life there for any service provided) and buying bottled water (plenty of walking)

PS dont forget to leave a tip for the cleaning lady in your hotel room everyday before you leave maybe $3-5 (they appreciate it and give you more coffe or biscuits whatever

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not cheap but we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue midtown.The public rooms are very grand but the guest rooms (or at least the one we stayed in) need redecorating – looked like they hadn’t been touched since the late 70s. Breakfast was amazing though.

I think it’s been bought by the Chinese so refurb is probably already underway

Nearest subway was at 53rd & Lexington. $2.75 per journey no matter how far (Nov 2015)

dmck16
    Free Member

Only been to NYC once and stayed here – https://www.stewarthotelnyc.com

It’s was OK, good central location opposite Madison Square Gardens.

If I were to visit again I’d consider staying over in Brooklyn – hopefully make a saving on the accommodation, plus the subway is great to get around so Manhattan is still accessed very easily.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

as a curve ball, check out AirBNB. We booked a complete apartment in New Jersey, 10 mins by Metro from World Trade centre. We paid £600 for 10 days.

matt10214
    Free Member

I stayed at the Sailsbury on 57th Street. Very well placed for all the attractions and was clean and reasonably priced when I was there.

http://www.nycsalisbury.com/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is my usual spot in NYC.

http://www.hotelmela.com

Rooms aren’t massive, but very comfy all round. Excellent location, too. Crawling distance to Virgil’s and a great bar a couple of doors down too.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

If you just want somewhere clean and comfy to sleep then pod 51 is an amazing location for the money. There’s a (newer) pod 39 too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend somewhere to stay in New York’ is closed to new replies.