Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend some waterproof trousers for walking please
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello all the waterproof trousers I have decided to leak or give up the ghost so I need some that are

waterproof….not water resistant
    easy to get on and off
    used for walking/hiking so Lakes and so on not for skiing or mountaineering or biking
    light but durable
    as reasonably breathable as possible.

I tend not to wear waterproof trousers that often so these will last a decade plus…. the only pair that I have that have lasted are a pair of Karrimor Alpiniste in very 90-‘s purple

All thoughts welcome

scotroutes

I have some Mountain Equipment Goretex Active Shell that I could recommend.

Lummox

They may seem to be big and bulky but I would 100% suggest Paramo’s cascada trousers.

Use mine in all weather for the dogs walks etc, zips all the way up the legs to allow additional venting and whenever they need a clean bung them in the wash with techwash and theyre as good as new.

also if theyre ripped by a thorn you just stitch it up and theyre as good as new.

Fantastic bits of kit

slowoldman

I have a pair of Arcteryx. Expensive yes, but extremely well made, close fitting enough not to flap around, well articulated knees so they don’t ride up, full length zips up to the hips. The best I’ve had and I anticipate they will last a long time.

ElShalimo

Marmot PreCip full zip.
    Sensible price, full length zip so easy to put on even if you have clown feet
    Waterproof, zips can be used for venting

Simon

Have a look at Berghaus Deluge too, waterproof and full leg zip/press studs.

honeybadgerx

I find Paramo trousers great in the UK, as often I find waterproof trousers a bit ‘too much’ a lot of the time, with Paramo I’ll just wear them instead of a normal pair of trousers if the weather is not looking too hot. Hard to beat on the breathability front as well, plus they don;t make a noise like a crisp packet!

dknwhy

Berghaus Deluge are good and very reasonable in price.

chiefgrooveguru

They may seem to be big and bulky but I would 100% suggest Paramo’s cascada trousers.

They’ve just brought out a new version with a much slimmer cut.

If it’s bad enough weather to need waterproof trousers then I don’t think there’s anything better – very breathable, very weatherproof, warm with good venting, remarkably tough. I’ve worn mine for walking, skiing and even over jodhpurs in horribly welsh weather… They’ll outlast any conventional taped waterproof many times over.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got some HH ski/snowboard trousers from TK Maxx

Not overtrousers they can be worn whatever the conditions. Lightweight, articulated, sensationally waterproof and extremely breathable. There’s a kind of inner gaiter which I guess is to fit over ski boots but it works just as well with walking boots

vondally
    Free Member

thanks so far will have a look at the paramo one……….always seem to get mixed reviews comments.

mwleeds

I have some sprayway all day rainpants and paramo cascada trousers. The sprayways are relatively cheap, reasonably waterproof (they claim fully waterproof but they not) and very comfortable. The paramo cascada trousers are great for proper winter mountain weather but far too warm for me most of the time, in fact I haven’t worn them in years.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m one of those who didn’t rate Paramo, too bulky, too warm . This was in the 1990’s tho so I don’t know much about their current stuff, just be aware about bulk, weight and whether they might be overly warm most of the year. Personally, if you keep them in the rucksack 90% of the time I’d go for the lightest weight, with part zips to get over your boots. I usually add bracers so they don’t keep slipping down.

spacemonkey

+1 Paramo Cacada

Had mine 18 months and they’re just like new. Not sure how they would hold up to a prolonged sitting down on something very wet, but big thumbs up IME re comfort, warmth, breathability and all-round waterproofness.

EDIT: as above, use Tech Wash and the other one for proofing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some waterproof trousers for walking please’ is closed to new replies.