Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend new Spd shoes/any users of Specialized BG sport Mtb?
  • hora
    Free Member

On a budget though, my 3/4yr old Spesh Sport mtb shoes are shot. However they lasted. The latest incarnation of the Spesh Sport shoe just seems really thin and flimsy? compared to my older Sport shoe. Any current users? Ok with them?

Any (stiff) alternatives?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

A stiff alternative….

lol… I must resist

Vortexracing

I've got some BG sports, much better fit than my Shimano ones.

Seem to have lasted 6 months of hard use without any signs of wear.

nuke

Funnily enough just replaced my 8 year old Spesh Sport mtb shoes for exactly the same at the Evans warehouse sale. Tried on all the various versions (Expert, etc) but actually figured the Sport would still be fine. Been riding with them now and they felt perfect straight from the first ride: stiff, light, airy. tbh, like you, I did think they looked a thinner/less hardwearing but, given the cost, I'm happy if they survive half the length of time my old ones did (…and technically my old ones are still going; they are just now spares)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not impressed with the racier Spesh shoes, I'm afraid. They tend to split around a seam at the outer front edge of the toebox. A shame, as they're very comfy otherwise. However, durability just isn't good enough, IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Nuke exactly the same as you. They just look/feel 'cost-down'. How much did you spend? Ive also kept mine as spares and would still be using them if they didnt look and smell soo bad!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I agree that Spesh shoes _seem_ flimsy, but I've got some of the Sport MTB shoes (The racy soled ones with 3 velcro straps) and I've hammered them mercilessly and they still look like new. I wore them for the whole of the TransWales last year and they spent all that time soaked through, covered in mud, without complaint. They are well ventilated, but this works in the exteme wetness because the water drains out in 3-4 pedal revolutions and they are amazingly comfortable. If/when they die I'll get some more, and they seem to be lasting as well or better than my usual choice of Shimano shoes. I've always found Shimano shoes to be very tough, so Im very pleased about this!
    🙂

the_lecht_rocks

shimano AM30.
    cheap, excellent, and ugly.

bargaintastic 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Been riding a Pair of BG Sport shoes for 3 years ish and very happy with them.
    Just got a pair of BG Expert CF soled jobbies and like them a lot. Like the lower weight a lot.

StuF

I went from an 8 year old pair to a new pair last year (only reason was the straps had split) – they're good – the only down side is that despite being the same size (45) they come up smaller so I can no longer fit my sealskins on in the winter without cutting off all circulation. 🙁

ski
    Free Member

Again love the fit of my sports Spesh shoes but found mine are giving up around the heel, splitting and cracking and the ratchet clips are slipping after about 6 months of daily use, at least you can get replacements 😉

hora
    Free Member

StuF – I had to go up a size as well! (now in 45's)

4ags4
    Free Member

Can recommend some Shimano 182N's which are great most of the year though can get a bit warm when the wether is hot. I do have some custom made insoles in them though as the standard Shimano insoles are pants.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend new Spd shoes/any users of Specialized BG sport Mtb?’ is closed to new replies.