Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend my old man a decent tablet
  • MrGrim

The old man has called his tech support line (my mobile) and asked me to choose a tablet for him. Naturally I turn to the STW hive mind as even I’m confused number of options.

He wants to use it for photographing and cataloging music which he can then take to gigs with him and put it on a stand to play back from so it needs to have a decent quality rear camera and the ability to create a folder structure and rename photos that he saves.

He’ll also use it for general interweb browsing, Skype and sending emails so it will need to connect to wifi.

We drew out screen sizes on a bit of paper and he thinks the 10″ or above would be much better than 7″.

I was looking at something like this Asus

Any thoughts or suggestions?

zoo200
    Free Member

ive had a google nexus, samsung galaxy tab and 2 ipads, the iPad is my weapon of choice as oldies (mum & dad) have mastered it and struggled with the others.

redthunder
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrGrim

Cheers zoo. Sorry, I should have mentioned, budget is about £200 max.

iolo
    Free Member

Kindle HDX. Perfect.
    EDIT: here you go http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYR6UTM/ref=fs_so

jekkyl

tell him to increase his budget and get a new ipad air, or keep same budget and get a 2nd hand older ipad. I’ve had a few and messed about with others and the ipad really does come out best. I can 2nd the comment about being old(er) people friendly as My 69yr old mum loves hers.

MrGrim

iolo – Member

Kindle HDX. Perfect.
    EDIT: here you go http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYR6UTM/ref=fs_so

I think in that price range they only have front facing cameras which are great for selfies, but not so great for taking photos of things in front of you.

jekkyl – Member

tell him to increase his budget

The budget is pretty much set. He is looking for a warranty and is also a session musician. He plays in a lot of pubs with usually pint glasses and sticky tables. I don’t think he wants anything too precious.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

These by any chance…

stumpy01

LG G Pad 8.3

A lot more screen than a 7″, good value and easy to use. Battery life is good too.

Camera doesn’t get the best reviews, but none of the tablet ones seem to.

zoo200
    Free Member

oh then the wife has a HUDL thingy which is quite good 🙂

or a second hand iPad 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hudl. The Kindles are locked into Amazon’s app store and cannot access the Google app store.

All other cheap ones have crap screens – at least, that’s what I found.

nickjb
    Free Member

LG G Pad 8.3

This is a great pad. Good size for travelling but a decent screen. Sounds like the portability might not be such an issue so maybe a 10″ would be better. I’m not sure any have a great camera but most have a camera that will do. I’d be tempted to get a £50 camera which will take much better pictures then use it with micro SD card which you can just pop into the tablet

firestarter
    Free Member

In our house we have one kindle hd and three hudls . The kindle is defo not as good as the hudl

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nexus 7. i have an iPad Retina as well but the NExus lets you do lots of simple things simply, like plugging in my DLSR and seeing my photos download. Or connect a harddrive full of movies and music. Or a huge memory stick for back up.

The iPad is a better browsing experience but isn’t so portable (obviously) and I DO have rather a lot of IOS apps.

Olly
    Free Member

Barnes and Noble Knook (Nook?) were in sainsburies for around 100 quid last time i looked. I know two people who have bought them now. Thats silly (less than the Hudl) money for a tablet up there with a PiePad. They went on fire sale cause they didnt sell, they didnt sell because they were tied down, but have subsequently been updated to release them onto bog standard android.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh – one downside of the Hudl is the camera is awful. Not an issue for me tho.

MrGrim

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. In the end I’ve gone for the LG G Pad 8.3. Hopefully he’ll be happy with it.

stumpy01

I love mine. So impressed with it, i treated my Wife to one about a week later.

mps711
    Free Member

I bought the LG G pad for my mum a few weeks ago when they were on special at Tescos, lovely piece of kit she’s really happy with it.

Easy to use, reasonable camera and very nice screen.

I would recommend getting a case as you allways seem to feel like you are about to drop it.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Given the never ending barage of questions I get from my mum about how on earth to work her Android slate I suggest iPad. Apple is easier and more intuative to use. Ideal for the older generation. And for the younger gerneration who want fewer phone calls from parents!

molgrips
    Free Member

My 68 year old naturally technophobic mum got a Hudl about 2 weeks ago. Number of questions asked of IT literate son = 0

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend my old man a decent tablet’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts