Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • recommend me..campsite for a family break with some mtb action also..
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

some where family of four (kiddies are 4 and 6)can camp with some good mtb trails nearby or perhaps a trail centre?? so i can do some riding one day or poss couple of evenings..
    thisis for summer months so near a beach or seaside would be good but not essential.the family bit is the most important and the riding will have to play second fidle to location.
    im in east anglia and anywhere north of scotch corner is to far really.cornwall and the west is ok but again its quite a trek in summer trafic etc
    any ideas? wales perhaps? places you have been and can recommend would be best.esspetially looking for small, family run,relaxed type places that arent too commercial.cheers!

turneround

Hillend campsite, llangennith in the Gower, S.Wales. right on the beach, great riding, all the s.wales trail centres within driving distance and the Kings head pub is the biz in the summer.. My mum may even make you a cup of tea… i loved living there…

flatfish
    Free Member

aberdovey way has a nice enough beach, not sure about camping as we have an apartment out that way. nearby trail is climachx and if you go for half hour ish north or south you've got coed-y-brenin or nant-y-arian

coffeeking
    Free Member

cae du, west coast of wales?

uplink
    Free Member

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=5542

Right in the middle of Dalby Forest & right in the middle of the North York Moors
    the coast Whitby, Scarborough etc is 30 mins away
    There's loads of stuff very close too, steam railway, museums etc.

drain

Halse Farm, Winsford, Exmoor. Lots of natural loops start / go through Winsford (e.g. see various mag routes).

Loads of places for the family to visit both on Exmoor and the coast (about 20 minutes drive away). Not a big site, but has really good facilities such as showers, laundry and recycling.

Often has fellow mountain bikers around who can help out if some unforeseen glitch happens.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Last year I stayed at –
    Rhandirmwyn
    Rhandirmwyn Camping and Caravanning Club Site
    Llandovery
    Carmarthenshire
    SA20 0NT
    The site is in a very quiet little valley just out from Landovery.
    You can ride the ace; Cwm Rhaeadr trail right from the campsite, which door to door or pitch to pitch takes a little over an hour.
    Short but sweet.
    A 20 mile drive away is Brechfa which has a lengthy red and seperate black route, both are great.

Family camping, very quiet, middle of no-where and no entertainment.
    Loads of walking, picturesque stream next to campsite.
    Downsides, nearest shops/supermarket in Landovery 15/20mins in car.
    Nearest decent beach for family 1 1/2 hours.

odannyboy
    Free Member

just to bump this, any one else have any suggestions?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Anglesea?

gusamc
    Free Member

do some googling on Corfe Castle, Dorset (and Swanage) – various sites, nice pubs, ferry to bmouth for shopping, cafes, prom walk, beaches, old harry rocks, beaches etc, couple of nice toutes and I'm sure some poster on here could advise.

http://www.btinternet.com/~burnbakecampsite/

for a family a team bimble along bmouth prom might work (can cycle along prom from nearly Poole (via chain ferry) to hengistbury head, cafe, beach huts etc, small boat ferry to Christchurch)

gusamc
    Free Member

sorry also google symonds yat, river wye, forest of dean

dropoff

Burrowhayes farm campsite, just outside Porlock, All of Exmoor to play on. Pebble beach at Bossington (10 mins) and sand at Minehead. Loads of trails to ride, and good pubs to eat/drink in.

teagirl
    Free Member

We had a good trip with several families and their kids to near Rockcliffe, Castle Point, near Dalbettie. Lovely site, near beach, good biking but prob not for 2 weeks but then you could decamp and go over to Northumberland, amazing beaches, castles, islands, walking… I could go on. And good biking too!

snowslave

+1 for burrowhayes near porlock in exmoor. The riding there is bloody fantastic, and there are stables on the campsite so you can see the rest of the family off on gee gees and get out riding yourself. Love that area. Sorry, disagree re pubs – the beer there is all rubbish but that's true everywhere in the sarf innit, and seeing you live in east Anglia you probably won't even recognise the issue. 😉

low wray nt campsite on windermere and fisherground in eskdale are also good family sites with fab riding nearby. Beer's better there too, hem hem….

headfirst
    Free Member

Around black rock sands and porthmadog on snowdonia coast has beaches and mountains. Will google for name of nice campsite we've stayed at (tents, no touring caravans)
    Found it: tyddyn llwyn

wheelz
    Free Member

We stayed at Hendre Mynach Campsite just outside Barmouth. The beach is literally 2 minutes walk away from the campsite.

You can ride down into Barmouth with the kids along the virtually traffic free seafront, where you can pick up the Mawddach Trail for some family cycling (to a nice pub).

Coed-y-Brenin in about 20 minutes away by car and the Pont Scethin route can be started from the top of the campsite.

Kids loved it, as there was plenty around the area to keep them occupied during the inevitable British summer rain!

odannyboy
    Free Member

ok can anyone add more to this as im getting close to booking/aranging something.
    any tips or ideas in devon/cornwall perhaps? or any more yorkdhire way etc etc?
    Cheers in advance peeps!

yetidave
    Free Member

we were thinking of going to Kielder later in the year, some kids things, nice lake to hire boats, walking, cycling, mountain bike trails of sort, midges if the weather is right.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘recommend me..campsite for a family break with some mtb action also..’ is closed to new replies.