• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me…a fixie
  • lunge

I’m starting to commute to work a bit more and so, obviously, want a new bike.
    Now I have got a geared bike that, with some tweaks, would do the job perfectly but by doing this I wouldn’t get a new bike would I? So I’ve decided I want a fixie, acknowledging that my hilly commute doesn’t really suit it, but hey, why not.

Requirements are:
    Drop bars
    Proper road bike like brake levers
    Cheap ish
    Ideally have fixings for guards but I could be persuaded otherwise.

Err, that’s it.

Any suggestions?

steelycraig
    Free Member

Pompoino, steel frame, generous clearances and mud guard mounts.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Genesis Day One.

Garry_Lager

I’m on a precursa at the mo and far prefer it to the pompino I had – however, my commute is a flat 5 mile blast. For something longer or hillier I think I’d prob go with the pompino or similar steel equivalent.

Dolan do a similar bike to the precursa which is drilled for guards, the fxe, but guards on a track bike are a foolish affectation IMHO. If they’re important to you then best do it properly with a more sedate bike.

TiRed

Used Kona Paddy Wagon. Buy cheap and spend £250 on some handbuilt wheels. Meets all your requirements. Plenty of space for guards and comes with deep drop dual pivots.

Frame is a gem.

EDIT: and you want a fixed wheel road bike. Not a fixie. I hate that term!

JoB
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – Member
    but guards on a track bike are a foolish affectation IMHO. If they’re important to you then best do it properly with a more sedate bike.

but guards on a fixed-wheel road bike that’s going to be used all year round are a good idea, which is what people were doing for years on their winter fixed bikes before the fixie thing became fashionable and will continue to do so now the fad is fading….

my favourite fixed wheel that no-one really knows about so is always on cheap is the Fuji

mickyfinn
    Free Member

A Pompino is a wonderful thing, but get an older frame if you can, tried the new tweaked geometry version and it doesn’t feel like a Pompino it felt kind of generic. The Original Pompino is the epitome of should be 100% wrong but is really 100% right.

flange
    Free Member

CFH – that isn’t fixed, and unless you buy a flippin expensive hub that’ll run fixed and disc it never will be.

The Flyer is the fixed that Genesis do, which is nice (and comes with guards fitted) but I found it a heavy old beast compared to my Singular. I really wanted to like it as it has all the mounts I need (and that my Singular doesn’t have) but it was horrible to ride and felt dead slow.

Dolan is always a favorite and as JoB said, the Fuji is a decent steed. Don’t buy Cinelli unless you like scene tax. Pompino isn’t a bad shout either even though its a bit heavy – I loved mine but stopped riding fixed for a while so sold it.

TiRed – post a picture of that PW purlease! I never get tired of looking at it!

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of these frame and forks (though I paid significantly less than that, and it’s in a beautiful white-silver fade): https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/road-frames-c47/big-block-2017-frameset-p17609

Currently trying to decide how much to splurge on the wheels…

tthew

CFH – that isn’t fixed, and unless you buy a flippin expensive hub that’ll run fixed and disc it never will be.

Don’t worry CFH, I think it’s a good shout. I’ve been riding my day one disk fixed for about 18 months now, just has no lock ring. As it’s got 2 brakes I don’t need to use the gear to slow down, so little danger of unscrewing it.

Edit – lunge, if you are commuting, don’t let anyone persuade you there’s no need for mudguard mounts.

qwerty
    Free Member

👿

finbar
    Free Member

Oooooh. Go on, what is it?

qwerty
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

Old 531 roadbike and a new back wheel.

finbar
    Free Member

Ah, nice.

jekkyl

Why would you want a fixie over a single speed? I’m struggling to see any benefit. If there’s any downhill at all you’ll be spinnning your legs like crazy or rolling with your feet in the air off the pedals.

ianbradbury

Older Day One that uses rim brakes and a flip-flop hub

kerley
    Free Member

I have had a couple for Dolan Pre-cursas over the years and they are cheap, fairly light and ride well. If you want 2 brakes (not sure why anyone would) then as suggested the FXE has rear drilling whereas the Pre-Cursa doesn’t.
    FXE also had mudguard bosses and can be had with drop bars, brakes and mudguards for around £600.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Holdsworth La Quelda? Proper fixie but with guard mounts.

For guards, check what brake they use, if it’s a normal road brake then the only stuff that fits is SKS raceblade longs, which are still shorter than chromolastics. Long-drop brakes will fit chromoplastics.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

That Demon is potentially beyond lovely.

kerley
    Free Member

Why would you want a fixie fixed gear over a single speed?

Because it is not the same. I have ridden mainly fixed for over 15 years with periods of single speed in between. Single speed seems to feel like a drag compared to fixed and I never stay single speed for more than a few weeks (just do it for the change I suppose)

And spinning down hill isn’t a problem with practice you will be able to hit 200rpm.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-dolomite-singlespeed-2017-road-bike-EV264164 ?
    It does look like to run fixed, you need to flip the rear hub and remove the rear disc setup, then installing a fixed cassette on to the 6-bolt rotor setup.

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-langster-2017-singlespeed-bike-EV244937

shermer75
    Free Member

I managed to get SKS mudguards on my old Surly Steamroller using P clips, it worked well.

Great bike btw! Fast and comfortable. The only bike I regret selling!

lunge

lunge, if you are commuting, don’t let anyone persuade you there’s no need for mudguard mounts.

I already commute without guards and am happy to continue to do so, but if I’m building/buying a commuter bike I may as well have the option.

kilo

tthew – Member

Don’t worry CFH, I think it’s a good shout. I’ve been riding my day one disk fixed for about 18 months now, just has no lock ring. As it’s got 2 brakes I don’t need to use the gear to slow down, so little danger of unscrewing it.

Should you want the security of a lock ring the old way is to use a bottom bracket lock ring which will screw on

tthew

Cheers Kilo, I’d heard that, but considering the length of the extension bar I used to get it off to change it a few months ago, I don’t think I’m in much danger of it slackening off unexpectedly!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Should you want the security of a lock ring the old way is to use a bottom bracket lock ring which will screw on

Not really any more security there, as there’s no reverse threading.

kilo

Well there’s a effectively a nut locking down on the sprocket so there’s going to be a degree of extra security.

True about the force needed to unscrew a sprocket. The only time I ever unthreaded a sprocket riding without a locking was when the chain jumped on a fast descent and jammed things up, my rapid cadence unscrewed the sprocket, as I had two brakes to stop me this actually prevented a crash as the bike effectively freewheeled

TiRed

Oh all right…
    As bought of Ebay…

Carbon bling and Fizik finishing…

Was thinking of an even nicer Rourke frame to move some of the best bits onto. Honestly, this is a fantastic riding bike that happens to be fixed. I’ve removed the guards for summer now, and the rack. It’s sub 9 kilos, springy and responsive as any 531 road bike. Just fixed. Might move the Ritchey WCS forks over to save even more weight.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me…a fixie’ is closed to new replies.