Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me….a compact digi-camera
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Can anyone that knows owt about cameras recommend me a compact digi-cam?

Was thinking about Panasonic TZ7 or TZ10, but have read they're not great for sports/action shots(?).

Looking for something that'll be good for 'action' biking shots & landscapes. Maybe about 10 megapixel with decent lens. Any suggestions please.

Ta.

CountZero

The Lumix TZ's are as good as any other compact for 'action' shots. They have a continuous shoot function which does around 2fps, the same as the motor drive on my Contax 139 Quartz. There are other Lumix cameras which are much more compact but have less zoom range. I believe the Canon compacts are also very good, but I only have experience of the TZ3, which I've used since '07, and taken thousands of photos with it. It's a terrific camera.

Northwind

I've never got very good action shots from my TZ7 in anything but good light conditions, then again I'm not a very good photographer so it might just be that. I do find it a bit bulky for riding use, I often think I've bought the wrong camera, I really miss the pocketability of my Ixus. Oh, and the ****ing rotating top dial control that moves to a new random selection every time you put it in a case or pocket. And I have to say it doesn't feel at all durable, my old Ixus took such a hellish beating and still worked perfectly, I don't think the Lumix will survive a 10th of that.

But the range is huge, the video footage is great, all in all it's a pretty fantastic bit of kit- it forgets it's a compact camera, sometimes it thinks it's a bridge camera, sometimes it thinks it's a home video camera.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pembo
    Free Member

Casio Exilim should get better coverage for MBing. 30fps burst rate and slowmo video up to 1,000 fps. More details here
    and a mtbr review here.

timwillows
    Free Member

Just got a TZ7 and very pleased with it. Not tried action shots yet but lens, zoom and video are great.
    The rotating dial is not as northwind describes, I think they fixed it mid last year.
    Got mine for <£200 from Amazon which seems a good deal.
    I decided against the TZ10 due to higher cost and few extra features I wanted, I believe the GPS flattens the battery rapidly!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

All Lumix TZs are brilliant!

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I decided against the TZ10 due to higher cost and few extra features I wanted, I believe the GPS flattens the battery rapidly!

Yeah, it's the battery flattening potential of the GPS that puts me off. I'm gonna try and find out whether it can be programmed not to come on every time the camera is switched on. I wouldn't mind having the GPS as a back-up for navigational emergencies though (save carting around my ancient GPS unit). I do like the zoom range and lens quality on the TZ's though.

The top dial on the TZ's sounds a bit iffy aswell. The dial on the TZ10 that I had a very brief go with felt a bit insubstantial. The camera will be used mainly in the 'sport' or 'landscape' presets on the dial – so it'd be good if the dial didn't self-adjust on its way in & out of bags.

p.s. Elixim looks interesting.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My TZ10 arrived from Amazon yesterday!!

grumm
    Free Member

Canon S90 looks very good. Lumix cameras aways seem to produce pretty impressive results too.

My Ixus isn't bad for something incredibly tiny.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

My TZ10 arrived from Amazon yesterday!!

Nice 🙂

Maybe you could le me know if the GPS can be disabled? pleeeeease 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me….a compact digi-camera’ is closed to new replies.