Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me winter tyres for the road bike (long distance commuting) – 28c?
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

As above please – I’m considering 25/28c tyres to fit for training and commuting through the winter – I ride 30 miles each way at least twice per week.

Has anybody used 700×25/28 Schwalbe Marathon on a road bike? The reflective sidewall is appealing after seeing them on my girlfriend’s bike!

damitamit
    Free Member

Didnt know you could get Marathon 25s?

I’ve got some Marathon Racer 30s on my touring bike. They’re quite slow. Thou for commuting I use Stelvio 28s, which I think are now sold as Duranos.

druidh
    Free Member

The Marathons are fine, if a bit heavy and slow-rolling. The Plus version even more so. However, they do provide A LOT of puncture protection, which can be important if it’s 6pm on a cold, dark December evening and you run over a tack.

Check for clearance in your frame though.

I’m currently running 700×28 Conti GP 4 Seasons for all-year round commuting and touring. That’s at least 100km per week. With a few thousand km done this year, I’ve had two punctures.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Marathon plus in 25 are tight on the rim but good and think plenty of puncture protection. Heavy though.

vittoria randonneurs come in a 28 mm and are another good tyre slightly cheaper than M.P. I’ve had the vittoria randonneur on a open sport rim and it was super tight but then /I’ve had another vittoria randonneur on the same rim and it was fine! Good puncture protection.

I’m not a fan of specialized armadillos, I’ve used them loads but they don’t seems to last as long as the other two. Not bad but I only really used them when I have got them cheap.

Bonty Hardcase are ok too. 23 – 25 28 maybe 32 but I’m not sure. Grippier than any of the above but not as puncture resistant. IF your route is not too glass stroon I’d go for these other wise M.P or the vittorias.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll take a look at all of those in the coming couple of weeks

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted Conti Gatorskins in a 28mm and they are light, comfortable and seem to be grippy too. Worth a look?

james-o
    Free Member

2nd the gatorskins – got 2 bikes fitted with them, over 2 years, many winter miles and daily commuting both on 25c gators one slow flat is all i’ve had. very good tyres that don’t feel slow or dead in any way.

rootes1

i ride in from Woking to London once a week as a change from brompton and train..

on 622-28 Gatorskins – good tyre, though piece of glass gashed the rear one on the way back tuesday night just as I was going home and going through Kingston…

grrrr

bought a Conti GP 4 Season as a replacement still in 622-28 size.. as got a deal

will keep the gatorskin on the front – good tyres and I like them.

armadillos are terrible had a few now on other bikes and they seem to like coming apart

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Have a look at the Durano Plus with smart guard – as tough as the Marathon Plus, but should roll better without the tread profile. Only up to 25c IIRC.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me winter tyres for the road bike (long distance commuting) – 28c?’ is closed to new replies.