Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • recommend me windproof jacket that converts into a gilet
  • jairaj

By trusty Berghaus windproof jacket / gilet is coming to the end of its life, its done me proud and given me 8 years of service used regularly for commuting and mtb rides but I think its time to let the old fella rest.

One of the best features of the jacket was the ability to zip the sleeves off and turn it into a gillet. So what transforming jacket do you recommend?

Requirements:
    Price – £70 – £30 (might consider a more expensive one)
    Windproof – don’t need it to be waterproof
    transforms from jacket into a gilet
    A cut that fits a slightly plump rider, I’m no racing snake.
    Mainly for MTB duties but if it comes in bright colours which makes it suitable for commuting then it’s a bonus but not required.

TiRed

Pearl Izumi convertible is very good and not a race cut. Arm removal leaves a gilet (and a bolero if that’s your thing). They size up quite large. I’m a small in PI and a medium in most Italian brands.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sugoi do a couple. I have the Versa which is a bit unusual in that it uses magnets instead of zips for holding the balero style sleeves on. It works and is probably easier than zips but it’s still not perfect as the magnets don’t always line up so you end up with gaps. You also stick to cars etc if you lean against door panels before / after a ride….

dawson

My Gore phantom has zip-off arms. Ace bit of kit.
    Couple years old now. Not sure what current version is like

Dave-j
    Free Member

Craft convert jacket, zip off sleeves, very nice fit on the jacket.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Gore Phantom

Might be a bit over budget but they’re very good. Probably get one much cheaper on the bay.

benp1

Gore phantom is a bit warmer than a straight wind proof, I have one

I have an Altura Peloton Transformer which is ace and lighter than the Phantom. Windproof front and jersey back. Arms are easier to take off and put on than the Phantom too

RichPenny
    Free Member

Gore phantom is a bit warmer than a straight wind proof, I have one

Maybe, I quite like that though as it makes it good year round.

allan23
    Free Member

Endura Convert. As with any recommendation on bike stuff the one someone has is best 🙂

Joking aside, mine’s about 3 years old, keeps the worse of the winds out and hasn’t fallen to bits. Got a size bigger than normal as I prefer a more relaxed fit – not really a salad whippet either.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-convert-softshell-jacket-aw16/rp-prod61512

dahedd
    Free Member

I have an older Endura Convert & an Endura Humvee. I recommend both though the humvee can be a bit of a faff to reattach the sleeves.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Hummvee-Convertible-Waterproof-Cycling-Jacket-AW16_70693.htm

a11y

Altura Transformer (not the Peleton version). Great bit of kit. Got fluoro yellow/black one for commuting and black/white one for gnarr. I’ve tried the Gore Phantom in the past but was far too warm for me in comparison.

XXL in a 6’2/186cm 85kg bloke and a good fit.

jairaj

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will take a closer look at them.

A quick look at the Gore Phantom and Endura soft shell and they look a little too warm for me.

I’m a sweaty bugger so just looking for a shell to keep the wind out. If need something warmer I’d prefer to add extra layers.

mccraque

I’ve a Gore Phanton. I never find it overly warm on hot days (despite being warm enough when chilly)….October to April is a great piece of kit.

jairaj

hmm OK will add it back on the shortlist, hopefully one of the LBS have it for me to try out

househusband

I’ve become a huge fan of Rab Vapour Rise kit and have two jackets; if only they did a convertible top… thinking of getting their Flex vest/gilet and using arm warmers when cycling.

Have a Phantom and agree it is rather warm – cold days only!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve also got an Endura convert; got to be about 8 years old; done loads every winter and countless hours on the bike.

Starting to show its age but it’s been an amazing piece of kit…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘recommend me windproof jacket that converts into a gilet’ is closed to new replies.