Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me: tubeless road tyres for commuting
  • winterfold
    Free Member

Fed up with pinch flats from potholes and need some new wheels for my commuter so want to switch to tubleless.

What’s reliable but doesn’t ride like a hosepipe?

(Dolan Preffissio so not a huge amount of clearance)

TIA

damascus
    Free Member

Tubeless road tyres are pretty much limited in choice. Schwalbe one seems to be the go to tyre but they get mixed results. I guess it depends on the quality of the roads you are on.

Vortexracing

S ones if you have room FTW

TiRed

Seconded now called G One Speed, they are excellent tyres.

If it’s just pinch flats, you might just want a bigger tyre.

winterfold
    Free Member

TiRed – yes 28s might sort it out but anything > 23 is too big for the frame and it’s got a fair bit of life in it.

Anyone tried the CRC tubeless wheels that £130ish?

What else is a decent tubeless wheelset at 120-150?

Reliability and servicing more important than lightweight 🙂

munkster
    Free Member

My preferred winter road tubeless tyre is the Hutchinson Intensive 25mm. Cheap and good for one winter I find – had zero punctures (aside from a few hissers) over two pairs and c.7500km according to Strava. Admittedly not commuting but winter lanes with associated cack are challenging enough.

People report that they don’t have enough grip but I don’t go round corners that cheekily in mucky conditions anyway so I’ve had no such issues.

YMMV, as always!

iamtheresurrection

Just a thought, but if you’re running 23c at a presure that gives frequent pinch flats, then you might find the same pressure on a 23c tubeless set up burps the tyre of the rim on the same potholes…

TiRed

Schwalbe ones in 23c tubeless are also nice tyres to commute on. I punctured one of mine and it holds 60psi. They come up more like a 28c on normal rims. The G Ones sound too big. They are a real 28-30c on standard 19mm rims.

Garry_Lager

Any other recommendations to add to this (yr old) thread? In similar position to the OP and want a tubeless rear tyre to go on a precursa for commuting – so something a bit robust and prob not more than a 25 in size.

DezB
    Free Member

Was gonna recommend Spesh Roubaix but they only come in a 30 width. I liked S-Ones and Hutchinson Sector in the past. Prefer the Spesh though.

TiRed

G One Speeds, although my front failed to seal on a non tubeless rim after a big lump of glass. Fast tyres and 30c too. Very easy to mount tubeless. I like them.

Garry_Lager

Was gonna recommend Spesh Roubaix but they only come in a 30 width. I liked S-Ones and Hutchinson Sector in the past. Prefer the Spesh though.

See that cyclestore have a tubeless roubaix 2017 listed as 23/25 for £60, whereas the pro roubaix tubeless is £30 plus another one half price! But it’s 30/32 width lilke you say. Sheeeiiiiiite.

I do have a spare G-one in 28 which I might be able to wedge in there with the cog set back, but it’s a bit delicate over the potholes IME (esp on the rear).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me: tubeless road tyres for commuting’ is closed to new replies.