Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 184 total)
  • Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The Orphanage – Beautifully filmed, Spanish with subtitles, but dialogue is sparse and slow, and easy to follow.

Great chiller of a film.

binners

Best recent under-the-radar film…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEFj0Pngu_E[/video]

Just topped up my Love Film list with some suggestions on this thread 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Near Dark has been mentioned, so +1 for that.

Also my favourite film ever (which I’ve never heard anyone else rate!):

Miami Blues. Fantastic performances from Fred Ward, Alec Baldwin and Jennifer Jason Leigh. And a cracking Charles Willeford story.

End of Watch is a brilliant cop drama, in the Southland vein.

kilo

La balance, mesrine (parts one and two)

Good shout on Miami blues!!

Sui
    Free Member

Chopper

wordnumb
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywq6MyiiUtE[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Brad Dourif in Wise Blood. A stone cold classic.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

A twist, in so much as I’m going to recommend some documentaries instead.

Riding Giants

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADy8f6t4Ri8[/video]

One Day in September

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230591/ ( can’t find a trailer )

Touching the Void

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65VrYZ2U9s[/video]

Although if you want a film, you could try The Night Porter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071910/

Why ? Because they are all very good films, and worth watching. IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

Riding Giants is fab.

Another documentary recommendation:

The Birth of Big Air. Matt Hoffman = awesome.

fasthaggis

Mud

Human Traffic ( even Danny Dyer manages to do ok)

Submarine

razorrazoo

Forgot Brotherhood of the Wolf and This is England.

razorrazoo

Double post 🙄

IA

A twist, in so much as I’m going to recommend some documentaries instead.

Good shout. This is easily the best thread I’ve ever started, so please, crack on!

Mesrine above is a good shout.

I’ll add the Carlos mini series too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321865/

if you like Mesrine, get involved with that. Pretty epic.

funkrodent

I’ll shove in my two penn’orth:

My Cousin Vinny – Very funny, clever take on the classic courtroom drama. Worth seeing because Joe Pesci doesn’t stab, kill or maim anyone and Marisa Tomei got Oscar for best supporting actress. And Ralph Macchio’s in it (who he?)

Cyrano de Bergerac – The great ex-Frenchman Gerard Depardieu in full-on mystical buffoon mode. Knocks the Steve Martin copy (Roxanne) into a cocked hat

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels & the Housesitter – Both Steve Martin vehicles (back when his acting was better than his banjo playing). The first a tale of French Riviera conmen with Michael Caine. The second with the delectable Goldie Hawne. Both very, very funny.

North by Northwest – Alfred Hitchcock directed thriller with Cary Grant. Not as famous as some of the Hitchcock oeuvre, but brilliant nonetheless.

Les nuits Fauves (Savage Nights) – First (and only) feature length film from writer, director and laed actor Cyril Collard. A savagely real autobiographical look at his life, bisexuality and struggle with AIDS. First ever artist to be nominated for the three top categories of the French “Cesar” Awards — Best Film, Best Director and Best First Film. The film actually won four Awards (incl best film), but Collard died of AIDS a few days before the ceremony. A hard, shocking, viscerally real piece of film-making. Not for the faint of heart.

La Haine – Another very stromg French film, this time dealing with alienated youth’s rage, anger and resentment in a Parisian banlieue that boils over into violence. Particularly relevant given the riots here a couple of years ago

+1 for the Station Agent. Love that film!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The Day The Earth Caught Fire – so bad that it’s good.

zinaru
    Free Member

the holy mountain

by alejandro jodorowsky in 1973 (the year i was born)

the best film ever made in the entire history of this or any universe. 90 minutes of the most amazing involved visual/mental trip ever.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Station Agent + Whatever

Super

wordnumb
    Free Member

Zinaru, it’s all about conquering the mountains horizontally. Great film.

onewheelgood

only one vote for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape so far, so I’ll add another one. Just beautiful.
    And Winter’s Bone – not easy, but a fantastic film.

zinaru
    Free Member

wordnumb! exactly.

zoom back camera…

prawny

Has anyone suggestes Everything is Illuminated’ yet? One of my favourite films, probably mainly because it’s got the singer out of Gogol Bordello in a starring role.

Takes itself a bit seriously in places, but it’s funny and heartwarming, and generally just nice to look at.

Lester
    Free Member

if you like them loud and funny
    try Shoot em up

iolo
    Free Member

I really like Freeze Frame. It’s with Lee Evans. I never realised he could do serious acting so well.

kilo

l.627 and 36 Quai des Orfèvres

Been trying to remember 36 Quai des Orfèvres all day – two more pretty good french crime movies

IA

Just thought I’d bump this for the “looking for a film to watch of a friday night” crowd…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Titan A.E. – Great sci-fi animation, big cast and some laugh out loud funny moments.

+1 for Pluncett and Macleane, I need to watch this again as it’s been years. Alam Cummings at his best plus excellent use of contemporary cockney slang in a period drama and the ball scene is ace (soundtrack by Rob Dougan).

Joan of Arc – for John Malkovich being as crazy as usual 😀

Benny and Joon – more johnny depp being epic

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter – you just have to, right? (only unusual, recent film I think of right now)

edit: and
    Secondhand Lions – very easy to watch but also very moving, lovely.

prawny

Abraham Lincoln – Vampire Hunter could have been amazing. But they cocked it up. It was too serious or not serious enough. They should have got whoever did the Dawn of The Dead remake to do it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m going to say

Harrison Bergeron

and

Robinson in Space

Northwind

Wait a minute… Is this a STW film thread where nobody’s recommended Garden State?

Sanny
    Free Member

Late Night Shopping – a bit of a gem.
    That Sinking Feeling – Bill Forsyth’s first film. genius!
    Comfort and Joy – another Bill Forsyth starring Bill Paterson. It’s a film I always return too.
    Tell no one – a brilliant, taut thriller that proves the French know how to make truly great films.
    Leon – Luc Besson at the top of his game.
    Dazed and Confused – it’s funny how much of a spot the star film it has become but it’s a great film that is well worth a watch.
    Singles – hip comedy from when Grunge ruled. Not seen it for years. Hmmm. Need to watch it again soon.

grum
    Free Member

Just bookmarking the thread. 🙂

heavyman
    Free Member

The aforementioned Once were warriors is a classic along with the follow up, What becomes of the broken hearted

Boondock Saints is brill as is
    Deliverance

Northwind

Sanny – Member

Singles – hip comedy from when Grunge ruled. Not seen it for years. Hmmm. Need to watch it again soon.

So good, that. I’ve genuinely used Singles chatup lines. “I was just nowhere near your neigbbourhood…”

maccruiskeen

Robinson in Space

The film the preceded it ‘London’ seems so perfectly relevant just now. The bit when the gate posts to vauxhall park are stunned into silence by the reelection of john major is an amazing little film moment. One of my favorite bits of film ever. You can get the two together on DVD. Robison in ruins is good too, although you really feel the absence of Paul Scofields voice.

My reccomendations:’Harold and Maude’. About a relationship between a hen pecked teenage boy who repeated fakes his own suicide in ever more convincing and elaborate fashions and a 79 year old woman who gate crashes strangers funerals and then steals their cars.

‘Adaptation’ set during the making of ‘being john malcovich’ the films writer is struggling to adapt a novel into a screenplay and as he does so his life turns into the holywood version of the story that he’s trying to avoid writing. Most disorientating its a good film with Nicholas cage in it.

For feature length documentary ‘the act of killing’ simultaneously jaw droppingly horrifying and dizzingly surreal. Like the mighty boosh turning up in the middle of a war crimes tribunal.
    And
    ‘Hell and back again’ properly good observational documentary, every frame a perfect photograph.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A few (most likely covered already) from my last long haul flight
    Submarine – no actual Submarines but still great
    Senna
    Man On Wire

alaslas
    Free Member

Watched Office Space and Riding Giants last night based on this thread. Top night’s entertainment.

Some recommendations- Fitzcarraldo, the “Sunset” trilogy dir by R Linklater, Seven Samurai, Ghost Dog.

sweepy
    Free Member

Has anyone said “intouchables” watched it last night, very good.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Kick Ass

If you aren’t too bothered by violence and humour mixed together.

It made me laugh, it made me (almost) cry, if made me laugh again.

It made me go ” Yehhh” when the baddie got zapped.

wordnumb
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMZdQC2gn4k[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…’ is closed to new replies.