Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 184 total)
  • Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…
  • jekkyl

Back to the Future 2…this old man steals a time machine from the doc who built it and uses it to make himself rich, marry the hero’s mum and give her huge tits. So the hero and the doc have to go further back in time to stop him, brilliant film.

turboferret

Another vote for Brazil, bizarre and hilarious at times, a somewhat disturbing view of how some version of the future may have been.

+1 for The Angels Share, and in case it hasn’t already been mentioned before, The Guard.

Cheers, Rich

rOcKeTdOg

Once

A film about an irish busker / washing machine repair man.

Lots of good music. Great storyline

Vacuum repairs iirc

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Freebird – probably the finest British film since Withnail and I… and in a very similar vein of humour too 🙂

I don’t think it is on Netflix, but I suspended my account 6 months ago to give it time to refresh a little. Probably do the same with the other services now and go back to it for a bit! At least until The Vikings series 2 is released!

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuxryJ6pv8[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EAqu28Dd-M[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

As a counterpoint to all the testosterone fueled stuff here how about Wendy and Lucy. Great film.

Cougar

Surprised no-one’s said Clerks yet. Kevin Smith’s first film, and arguably his finest moment. Sharp and witty, if you can overlook the fact it’s shot in black and white on a budget of about 40p.

valleyman
    Free Member

Angel Heart

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Anything with Will Hay !

z1ppy

why does it not surprise me to find the Dante-esk Cougar recommending Clerks. Pointed out to my old boss he was the spit, & he’s became a fan overnight.

+1 To Princess bride, [french] Taxi, Zat?ichi, Grosse Point Blank, Moon, Trollhunter, District 9

My own recommendation (not mentioned) would be for Kung Fu Hustle… comedy send up of the everything kung fu, with hugely over the top fights – brilliant.

Off to search out Wasabi (if you like that, try 22 Bullets, no comedy, lots of killings)

jwt
    Free Member

some + as above
    Once were warriors – very powerful film about an awful drunk wife abuser, sounds like something you wouldn’t want to watch, but superbly acted and shot.
    Man bites Dog – black humor surrounding a serial killer being followed by a documentary crew.
    Eat the peach – Two young Irish men decide to build a motor bike wall of death, one of my favorite film lines in this, but I won’t spoil it.
    Wasabi – Jean Reno / Luc Besson in French action film set in Japan.
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead – Two characters from Hamlet where we follow their story as it waves in and out of the play itself.
    Sexy Beast – Sir Ben Kingsley has NEVER been so menacing!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I assume it’s been done, but The Princess Bride.

Downfall is amazing, but do it in one sitting. It’s proper tense.

Platoon.

Munich.

Ronin.

Dredd (new version)

MSP

I assume it’s been done, but The Princess Bride.

Downfall is amazing, but do it in one sitting. It’s proper tense.

Platoon.

Munich.

Ronin.

Surely that’s a list of films most people will have seen.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Surely that’s a list of films most people will have seen.

Did I forget to put Star Wars up there? Silly me.

banks
    Free Member

What’s eating Gilbert Grape?

wrecker
    Free Member

A Prophet

+1. Fantastic film, one of the best I’ve seen subtitled or not.

Very different, but still very good;
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
    A hidden gem which had me roaring.

scud
    Free Member

The Raid – great action if you like people beating ten bales of turd out of each other.

City of God.

Killer Joe (you will never look a KFC the same after)

Killing Me Softly- Last film i think of James Gandolfini

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Cube
    Spirited Away (or any of the Studio Ghibli stuff to be honest)
    Grosse Point Blank
    Clerks

zimbo
    Free Member

As a counterpoint to all the testosterone fueled stuff here how about Wendy and Lucy. Great film.

I’d agree, and by the same director and writer (who also both did Meek’s Cutoff which has been mentioned a couple of times), Old Joy. If you like the slow-moving stuff, that is. If you like car chases, you’ll hate it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Das Boat – Subtitled German U-Boat film makes you really feel like you’re in the U-Boat with them .

wallop

+1 The Lives of Others – superb film.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Blow – Great film!

Cougar

why does it not surprise me to find the Dante-esk Cougar recommending Clerks.

Heh, you’re not the first person to say that. More so now thinking about it, now I’ve cut my hair.

Cube

Oh, good shout. Cube is awesome. Just don’t watch any of the utterly bobbins sequels.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
    A hidden gem which had me roaring.

Stars Alan Tudyk, which fact alone makes it worth the price of admission.

Sancho
    Free Member

+1 for Office space

but I have to urge you to see Love exposure

grantmccall63
    Free Member

The Secret in their Eyes
    Tell No One
    The Lives of Others

Awesome

grantmccall63
    Free Member

The Guard

Irish independent at its best

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Surprised no-one’s said Clerks yet. Kevin Smith’s first film, and arguably his finest moment. Sharp and witty, if you can overlook the fact it’s shot in black and white on a budget of about 40p.

Indeed, I actually think clerks 2 stands up surprisingly well. I was expecting it to be poor but was pleasantly surprised. Equally as sharp as Clerks but with a little more sentiment.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Shallow Grave
    Brassed Off

Ewan Mcgregor oldies with lots of laughs

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

+1 for Love, Honour & Obey. Awesome British gangster comedy
    +1 for Sexy Beast. Ben Kingsley is seriously scary!

Very Bad Things. Things go very bad in Vegas, but very darkly funny. Closing scene has me in stitches

vinnyeh

Being John Malkovich
    Run Lola, Run
    another vote for Diva.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lots of good movies on here already

Intouchable – funny, touching, excellent – now in my top 5

Edukator
    Free Member

The Edukators (of course) and Im Juli.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I don’t download yet to be released films from the PirateBay but if I had, and I didn’t, it would be Pain and Gain.

On paper you’d kick a film with Marky Mark and the Rock straight out of the door but it is genuinely one of the best black comedies (yet a true story) I’ve seen in ages

ski
    Free Member

OK a serious suggestion from me then 😉

The Big Blue

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095250/

If you are a Jean Reno fan, like me, you will love this movie.

danandem
    Free Member

Genevieve- light hearted, a film for a rainy Sunday afternoon

gordimhor

Irreversible. A French film which is extremely dark and unsettling . Intelligent and thought provoking. Be warned though it is so sexually explicit and so violent that I will never watch it again!

jonnyrobertson

Yet another +1 for The Lives Of Others. I’d also recommend Goodbye Lenin, the aforementioned Moon (was on telly the other week), The Hide and Downfall. I know a few Finns and they got me watching The Man Without A Past and Kamome Shodoku, both worth seeking out. Also seek out Kitchen Stories, a really unusual, low key Swedish affair with an odd premise.

pondo

+1 for The Big Blue – you can’t go wrong with a Luc Besson film (Fifth Element excepted)

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Been through the above, but failed to see anyone recommending Donnie Brasco.

Absolutely superb film. Plot kept me gripped from start to finish – and surely Al Pacino’s finest hour. Also Jonny Depp’s finest hour. Forget all that Jack Sparrow crap – the guy can really act. Ooh and and ‘Marge Gunderson’ from Fargo (always forget her real name).

Nice to se Brazil getting a few mentions. My second favourite film of all time (after Star Wars IV, natch).
    Also Amelie. And City of God.

(And no one’s said Fargo?)

razorrazoo

+1 City of God, Kung fu Hustle

Try Battle Royal (the proper Hunger Games), Oldboy, 13th Warrior, Boiler Room, Pans Labrynth

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…’ is closed to new replies.