Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…
  • IA

…ideally on Netflix UK for maximum bonus points.

Name the film, tell me why it’s ace.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Office Space
    Funniest film ever

Klunk
    Free Member

OP how old are you ?

RustySpanner

Dead of Night.
    Genius black and white Ealing horror/comedy film, massively influential, genuinely scary and hugely atmospheric.
    Never gets shown anymore, which is a massive shame.

Alternatively, Green for Danger – same period, wonderful wartime murder tale and it’s got Alastair Sim in it.

Cougar

Best film you’ve never heard of? Offhand, Plunkett & MacLeane. Proper funny, dark highwayman romp with Bobby Carlisle and that prettyboy who was boinking Angelina Jolie.

vorlich
    Free Member

The Lives of Others. Just cos.

edlong
    Free Member

12 Angry Men

Superb cast, great script, atmospheric direction, totally engaging from the first minute to the end credits

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Untouchable, based on a true story. Best film ive seen for ages

Not to be confused with untouchables this is a french film, really moving but also very funny.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Trollhunter
    Daft as a bag of Thor hammers, but very entertaining.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Spies Lies and naked thighs

The best worst film you’ve never seen… best I’ve got at short notice.

Edric64
    Free Member

12 Angry Men

Superb cast, great script, atmospheric direction, totally engaging from the first minute to the end credits

Absolutely ! A brilliant film no special effects just 12 blokes in a room and in Black and White

niallmb
    Free Member

if you are using chrome as your browser, install “mediahint” and you will have access to the full US netflix library.

Lots of films and TV!!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yamakasi – end of argument….

MSP

Les visiteurs

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Seven samurai

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The Guard.

wukfit
    Free Member

The Life Aquatic
    You’ve probably seen it, but it is on Netflix and its a great film

wukfit
    Free Member

Also +1 for Office Space,
    Although I thought it was great, but my house mate didn’t get it at all

rOcKeTdOg

All the presidents men

Redford at his best & 70’s-tastic

dti

cache – hidden

khegs
    Free Member

Primer, a low budget twisty plotted Indie time-travel film, if you like Butterfly Effect, Memento etc you will probably like this, too

Hard Candy very very well acted, small cast home invasion film with a twist.

Can be brutal at times, & will make you wince at least once (not gory though, everything is implied). The subject matter is uncomfortable (& possibly upsetting) so check wikipedia/imdb for the plot precis first.

Wasabi fun french action comedy, set in France/Japan Starring Jean Reno and written & produced by Luc Besson. The english dubbing has terrible lip-synching issues, the subtitled one is far better

arrpee
    Free Member

‘Lantana’, with Geoffrey Rush and Anthony Lapaglia. Starts as a whodunit, but turns into something much more interesting.

Also, ‘In the Bedroom’ with Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkinson. Really stayed with me, that one.

And while we’re here, ‘Miller’s Crossing’. The Coen brothers strangely overlooked prohibition era gangster flick. Albert Finney’s scene wielding a tommy gun to the strains of ‘Danny Boy’ is a highlight.

Dunno if any of the above are on Netflix, but all are worth your while.

IA

OP how old are you ?

30, so not too old, not too young 😉

But you don’t need to go on the age of the film. Pick that film that you really like but was under rated or no-one else you know does. Sell it to me!

In general I like all sorts of films except horror/shock stuff, not a huge fan. However, your suggestion might be good for another reader, so crack on anyhow.

Some good suggestions here, only seen about half, so keep them coming.

Will bookmark this for future reference…

-5 points to those that don’t give reasons ;-P

Paulio
    Free Member

Headhunters, Silver Linings Playbook, Moonrise Kingdom and another recommendation for Untouchable.

Why? I enjoyed watching each one!

zilog6128

Southland Tales, by the guy who did Donnie Darko (and similar in tone). It straddles that fine line between deep genius and utter bollox but after repeated viewings (necessary I think) I still can’t make up my mind… An odd and at times brilliant cast too. Worth a watch though if you like head-scratchy sci-fi.

tenfoot

Once

A film about an irish busker / washing machine repair man.

Lots of good music. Great storyline

Edric64
    Free Member

Probably seen it but Tora!,Tora!,Tora ! about the lead up to Pearl Harbour is very good and makes the film Pearl Harbour look like the crap it is .

YoGrant
    Free Member

Meek’s cutoff.

Western pioneers get lost and it all goes tats-up. Lots of people slated it, probs why I liked it!

And the Informant. Matt Damon in can act shocker!

prettygreenparrot

Betty Blue?
    Blue Velvet?
    The Breakfast Club?
    +1 for Hard Candy [edit] and wasabi
    I guess you’ll have seen Fight Club, Leon, Run Lola Run, The Matrix, and anything worthwhile from this century.
    Split second?
    The Hitcher?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Long shot this, but have you seen “The Princess Bride”?

Safer bet, “Taxi”, the French version with subtitles.

jon1973
    Free Member

+1 for Tora! Tora! Tora! although I don’t think Pearl Harbour needs another film to make it look crap. It does that very well on its own.

The Lives of Others is also very good. Lots of good foreign language films out there that are worth a look.

The Station Agent is a small independent American film which I thought was excellent. It’s been out for a few years, so it should be on Netflix.

gusamc
    Free Member

it was ‘The Hide’, certainly worked for me and the gf

Start of Review: On the windswept Suffolk mudflats creaks a bird-hide, inside which hovers Roy Tunt, a prematurely aged, mildly obsessive-compulsive birder. With one more sighting – the elusive sociable plover – he will have ‘twitched’ the entire British List. Tunt has his shortwave radio, packed-lunch and a portrait of his ex-wife Sandra for company.

I wasn’t going to watch it either.

ps if you like low budget/cult/weird/sci fi try Dark Star *edit – they nicked a bit of the end from R.Bradbury, the bomb debate is classic and the alien fight and lift scene sequence I truly love, it may be surprisingly close to what would really happen if Red Dwarf had been crewed by forum members

prettygreenparrot

I missed out the ‘why’.
    betty blue: the director’s cut – beauty, madness, poignancy and nihilism.
    blue velvet: one of the best movies ever made.
    the breakfast club: everything that was good and bad about the 80s wrapped up in a neat rites of passage tale.
    split second: ‘we need guns. Big f*&%ing guns’. Worth it just for that line from Rutger Hauer.
    The Hitcher: Rutger Hauer!

And I missed out Diva (just brilliant with 80s ‘chic’) and The Big Blue (free diving, rivalry, monomania, commitment and Jean-Marc Barr, Jean Reno, and Rosanna Arquette)

prettygreenparrot

+1 to jon1973’s ‘the station agent’. Very good.
    and +1 to gusamc’s Dark Star. And of course ‘silent running’ (cute ‘droids’, calm footage, meaningful story)

wl
    Free Member

+1 Meek’s Cutoff or Lantana. Thought Silver Linings Playbook was crap. Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (not sure in spelling) is good. Danish film The Hunt is also excellent.

unknown
    Free Member

District 13 is on Netflix now. Not much plot to speak of but far and away the best action film I’ve ever seen. First time I saw it I went straight back to the beginning and watched it again!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s been mentioned but if you haven’t seen the lives of others then you really must. An astounding film, the sort of film Hollywood couldn’t comprehend let alone actually put into production.

Definitely add it to your list.

mmannerr

Internal Affairs (original) – Main characters were well played
    Grosse Point Blank – 80s music, violence and comedy
    Immortal – Based on Enki Bilal comics, far from perfect but I like it’s madness
    Executive decision – Best Steven Seagal movie ever
    Bubba Ho-Tep – Crazy characters and plot

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

To kill a Mockingbird.

You’re there in the deep South in the summer.
    triffic stuff!

rhbrhb
    Free Member

La Haine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me the best film I've probably never seen…’ is closed to new replies.