Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Recommend me stem/bars for a general purpose/winter training bike
  • FieldMarshall

I’ve built up my old Genesis IO as a “Frankenbike” SS for road use/training over the winter.

I’ve never really ridden extensively on road before, so don’t have a clue what to do about reach, bar height etc.

I tend to run all my MTBs with short stems and riser bars and that is what is currently on the IO. But it looks wrong and feels too cramped.

I am thinking of longish stem, flat bars (700mm ish) and maybe some bar ends

Any setup suggestions welcome.

Tasso
    Free Member

Sounds like you are probably half way there with your thinking.

On the road you sit in the same position for much longer and I find being a bit more stretched out with more of your weight taken through the arms than backside is a good start point.

Try adding about 20mm to your stem length and if you want something that gives you options to move your hands about but that is not a drop bar than look at the Fleegle Pro from On One. Have done many miles on my Road Rat with a trimmed version of teh standard Fleegle and find them much more comfortable than a straight bar. If you have shifters/brake levers that have smooth clamps you can also ride with your palms over them and I often do that along the straights (you can still operate trigger shifters and brake levers with outside digits).

I swap whish way up or down the rise of the stem is depending on the type of riding. If off road a fair bit I’ll flip it to positive rise but most of teh time it’s got neg rise for on the road. This only really works with shallow stem rises though.

If you are single speed I guess you still want a wide bar and a standard un cut Fleegle might be the ticket. I miss the width when I’ve tried SS with my cut down versions on the MTB last winter.

I also have some midge flared drop bars and dia-compe 287v levers attached to a Carver SS but they aren’t wide enough for hilly SS off road I’ve decided. Ok for road and tame bridleway.

Hope that helps a bit.

FieldMarshall

Thanks. Thats helpful.

Going to swap some stems around first from a 50 to 80mm.

Like the look of the fleegles but not sure that bar ends would work with those.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me stem/bars for a general purpose/winter training bike’ is closed to new replies.