Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me somewhere to stay in San Francisco
  • keppoch

Three nights in San Francisco will form the middle weekend of a mainly cycling holiday next month. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in central San Francisco?

Four of us on holiday so probably two twin rooms, the rest of our trip is likely to be in B&B lodges, cheap hotels and log cabin type places so probably looking for a hotel for contrast but would consider the better end of hostels.

Don’t want to pay for opulent luxury as we hope to be out enjoying the sights but somewhere comfortable, in a good location would be ideal.

Not sure what a hotel costs there really but would be thinking of max £60pppn if possible.

cynic-al
    Free Member

http://www.sfhoteldesarts.com/index.php#

stayed there in 2005. Pretty cheap, clean, funky.

Have spent a bit of time in the environs if I can help further. Bear Valley Inn is run by a pal.

beanum

I can recommend Hotel Vertigo, it’s probably too expensive though (no prices on website, you have to do a search)
    Hotel Vertigo

A couple of blocks away there’s a Holiday Inn called Hotel California. You get a free shot on check-in. It’s on the edge of the Tenderloin district though…

Finally, there’s the Phoenix hotel, apparently it’s the main choice for bands playing in town so you might see someone famous (and on a budget..)
    Phoenix Hotel

hth

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peterfile
    Free Member

Omni

I stay here for work and holiday. It’s very reasonable and great location.

Staff are wonderful, everyone is personable, not your usual “hello mr peterfile”, they all have character and have good chat. I turned up at Xmas last year and they remembered my name as I came into the hotel and set us up with some drinks at the bar while they checked me in. Then the manager popped down to say welcome back and when I asked for a cab to Gary Danko (and amazing restaurant you must visit) they sent me in the hotel limo.

Considering this is a chain, that’s pretty impressive.

neninja
    Free Member

We stayed at the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square about 10 years ago. It was great value, in a great location and the staff were really helpful.

Having had a quick look on Trip Advisor it still appears to be good value and well rated.

We booked through Trailfinders and they got a really good room rate for us.

http://www.chancellorhotel.com/index.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60713-d115644-Reviews-Chancellor_Hotel_on_Union_Square-San_Francisco_California.html

rewski
    Free Member

w

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at the ignoring of budget/”I recommend this place”

peterfile
    Free Member

hmmm, good point. Omni is coming up at £189 for random date in August, although I’ve never paid more than £150 (probably due to being lower season when i go on holiday).

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

nick1962
    Free Member

http://www.jdvhotels.com/tomo/
    In Japantown,very funky.Cheaper rates available through the various room booking search engines but may be a bit short notice to get a really good deal.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Homepage

Union Square is pretty good, and was reasonably affordable when I stayed a few years back.

aidso
    Free Member

+1 on the Chancellor Hotel. I found all hotels in San Fran very expensive when I went last year and we got much better value for money in Seattle where we had stayed the days before.
    The rooms in the Chancellor were cosy, but the bathroom was ridiculous and felt like a cabin on a small boat. Its very central to everything and the street car is right outside the door.

keppoch

Wow, just popped back to this and pleased with the number of suggestions, I will get on to checking them out.

If there are any more or confirmation of what others have said that would be great.

fatmax

When backpacking round the world wor lass and I stayed in the YMCA…

ebygomm
    Free Member

Fisherman’s Wharf hostel would fit your budget. Very central, free parking (v. unusual in San Francisco). They do twin rooms as well as dorms.

I think you might struggle to find much else within budget. I know that even staying much further out and getting a room for 4 in a hotel was far more expensive than the hostel.

TiRed

See if you can get the suite at the best Western Hotel California. I was upgraded and it has two adjacent double rooms. Not too expensive, authentic old and in the union square district.

weare138
    Free Member

Stayed here in 2006 on honeymoon
    http://www.theorchardhotel.com/

Taff
    Free Member

The radius son on fishermans wharf

beagle
    Free Member

Stayed at Vertigo before and after the refurb. Good location. Nice place with a bit of history. Bit spendy though? Stayed at the Phoenix too in a one night emergency in 2008. Great little place but slap in the middle of Tenderloin so taxi in and out may be a good idea 😉 and a definite at night time.

Also stayed at a whoppin’ place on Union Square. Think it may have been the Handlery? We got a very good Internet room only rate from them and it was good value for money, especially for the central location and the service we got.

phinbob

We stayed in the Wharf Inn last summer – it was cheap (ish), clean with free parking but a bit noisy.

If you are over and want showing round some of the East Bay riding areas, drop me a line, although I’m only just learning them myself….

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If everything in the City is bonkers expensive, is it worth considering somewhere down the BART line? I know it’s not central, but you can get a decent motel in Milbrae for MUCH less than central SF, and there’s some decent riding out that way too I’d imagine. Anyway, appreciate it might not be at all what you want

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me somewhere to stay in San Francisco’ is closed to new replies.