Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me somewhere to ride this weekend, within an hour of Newbury
  • beej

Looking for somewhere different to go. It needs to be:

– Rideable in the (very) wet
    – Within an hour's drive of Newbury, preferably nearer
    – Navigable for a couple of people who don't know the area but who can load a route on a GPS

Um… we're both fairly fit and experienced.

cinnamon_girl

We are due a lot of rain this week so that will limit your choices. There's actually tons of stuff within a reasonable distance of Newbury. In fact I was leading a ride on Saturday not too far from there.

Some of the Wayfarer's Walk will be gloopy so that should be avoided. Shame cos it's a lovely ridge that eventually leads to Watership Down.

Would some gpx routes be any good for you? If so, e-mail in profile.

ajantom

I can email you a route that starts at Uffington Castle on the Ridgeway – about 15/20 miles from Newbury.
    This used to be my favourite sunday route when I lived round there, 21 miles, about 1250ft of climbing and descent. It's nice riding round there on a good day, but can be a bit grindy when it's wet. this route has a nice mixture of bridleway and other tracks.

Otherwise get the OS map for that area – lots and lots of decent bridleways that can be strung together for a ride.

*edit* you can get a pic of the route here – old skool JPEG style 😉

Click here for the route

beej

Ta peeps. I was looking at some of the Hants ones – I know the bit of Wayfarers Ladle Hill/Watership Down way. Test Valley ones might be worth a look.

Emails on the way…

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi was going to recommend starting from Barbury Castle (S of Swindon, os 173)

found this
    http://www.bucksmtb.co.uk/trailguides.htm

piha
    Free Member

We tried a ride out of Wilton in Wiltshire yesterday and it was really really tough because of the mud. Totally clagged our bikes up so much that you had to scrape the mud off your bike with your hand to continue riding. Try to stay away from chalk if you can and that's not easy round that way or you might struggle to put a good ride together. Oh for some sunshine. Good luck.

br
    Free Member

Wantage, up to the top of the Ridgeway using the 'Lark Hill Farm' bridleway (you can park here). Across the Ridgeway, Swindon way – turn around when you fancy?

Or continue until you drop off (just before M4), then take the north road to a cross-roads at the start off Wanborough – look left and there is a great pub – good food.

Could start from here, already on top.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=wantage&countryCode=GB#map=51.5632,-1.34531|15|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.58851:-1.42579:14|wantage|Wantage,%20Woolley,%20Oxfordshire,%20England,%20OX12%208

beej

Lots more options – thanks. What will the Chilterns be like in this weather?

Oh, we'll be singlespeeding too, so slightly more mud resistant.

ajantom

The main problem around that area is that the chalk turns into super sticky gloop when wet. It will literally turn your wheels into the mud equivalent of a tractor tyre in about 20 meters.

I remember taking my brand new 1992 Kona Explosif up onto the Ridgeway when it was really messy – within half a mile there was no paint left at all on the inside of the chainstays where the tyre/mud was rubbing 😥

The only thing to do is ride through lots of puddles to loosen the mud, and try to find grassy bridleways! Makes for a good cardio workout though.

cinnamon_girl

E-mail sent beej. Chilterns will be rubbish cos it closes in Winter (awaits abuse from the locals).

The gpx's that I sent do have some hills in, be warned!

br
    Free Member

Northern Chilterns will be muddy and slippery, the Southern Chilterns more so.

beej

OK, Chilterns idea will be parked until it's drier (sometime 2013 then…). Thanks for all the links and ideas, I've got enough new stuff for the next few months I reckon!

soobalias
    Free Member

i live in the chilterns – it is closed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me somewhere to ride this weekend, within an hour of Newbury’ is closed to new replies.