Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me somewhere to ride near Bristol
  • richc
    Free Member

I haven’t been out on my bike for a while 🙁 …… and I have a pass for Saturday so can anyone recommend anywhere to ride near Bristol (or within 60 to 90 minutes drive).

Basically I am looking for some inspiration, not really interested in trail centers as I can read a map

So where would people recommend?

nickjb
    Free Member

Mendips are good, Quantocks are better but further (but within spec).

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wotton-under-Edge (half an hour North of Bristol not far East from the M5). Check out Westridge Wood. You’ll have an amusing afternoon getting lost and finding interesting stuff.

richc
    Free Member

Never been to Wotton-under-Edge so will add it to the list, and have a read around to build a route up, done loads on the Mendips and Quantocks before so will head there if the weathers bad.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Lancashire – its about 3 hours up the M6

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Email me for a GPX.

(what is it with prople not putting an email in the profile? Frikkin stunt muppets 😡 )

Marko

Over the bridge and into Wales then! Where do you want to start?
    Brecons.
    Black mountains.
    The Valleys.
    The FOD.

How about the Bwlch/Kevin Thomas loop?
    Hth
    Marko

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Mendips (Rowberrow Woods, Limestone Link, Crook Peak, Cheddar Gorge etc)
    Ashton Court / Leigh Woods
    Bourton Combe / Brockley Combe
    Cotswolds (Dursley / Wooton / Lansdown / Bath )
    Wye Valley
    Wentwood

All within 30 mins drive, save yourself some petrol.

richc
    Free Member

How about the Bwlch/Kevin Thomas loop?

wheres this?

Marko

richc.

Must be on the net somewhere, but here’s my version:

Time to get the map out!

Head over to Bwlch (near Llangorse lake).
    Park at 160224 > Nth to trig at 157260. Bandit run down to road 160283 > over road and round to Pengenfford at 172300. >Old road down to Tyisha 182290 > Old road to 185271. (It is considered bad form to use the footbridge to cross stream, but inspection of the best line to cross is acceptable). > Right at Waun Fach and up the road to 160282. > BW south west to Kevin’s grave at around 153266. Look for the old restored Shepards cottage on your left. Pay your respects and enjoy the view.> Up through woods to cairns at 159250 and then right and back to car.
    In good dry conditions 2+ hours. Wet and windy conditions 3+ hours. End of the world is nigh conditions 5+ hours.

Kevin Thomas

Hth
    Marko

richc
    Free Member

I will plot that onto a map and have a look.

How technical would you say the ride is?

redthunder
    Free Member

Wye Valley

MrAgreeable

Weren’t you going to come digging at some point Rich? 😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bristol-trail-day-this-saturday-2

richc
    Free Member

Should do, however (always an excuse) I have promised to go riding for once, with a mate I haven’t seen in ages.

I will bung it onto my resolution list to come at least once this year.

Have they started digging in Leigh Woods yet?

Marko

richc

How technical?

Descent from trig is the most technical. BW to Kevin’s is fast singletrack in the dry. Possibly the second best single track in Wales?
    Old road from Pengenfford is mental fast, with a bit of everything – rocks, bogs, streams and Sheep.
    Hth
    Mark

MrAgreeable

Work in LW is going to start later in the summer. Contractors have just been appointed apparently.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me somewhere to ride near Bristol’ is closed to new replies.