Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • recommend me something to carry essentials on short ride
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

this year i have been mainly carrying my tyre levers, pump, patches, multi tool etc in various pockets of my shorts when doing a ride for 2hrs or less. Today I stacked it and landed on my side and my favourite shorts now have a rip where the tyre lever went through :-(.

What do you lot use to carry essentials on a short ride?

Cheers

gee
    Free Member

Tube, pump, tool, lever, wallet, phone, Mule bar.

In jersey pockets so that doesn’t happen.

johnj2000
    Free Member

it’s a good call gee but only if the darn jerseys had more than one small pocket big enough to hold a single car key :-(.

Simon

Camelbak

neilm
    Free Member

I have an mtb tool roll, a mini tool roll (one for on and one for off road) and a pocket pouch, all from: The Breakaway

neilwheel
    Free Member

Small, discrete saddle pack,
    bottle sized storage container if you have a spare cage, best to have a extra strap on,
    or get all enduro on it and tape stuff to your frame.

kcal

road or MTB?

small sub frame bag (MTB), or seat post bag (road).
    Also, sometimes, little Fuel Pod style bag (top tube) or long, shallow, frame bag under top tube.

Hate carrying stuff on my back, or indeed in jersey pockets.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Kcal – MTB, frame bag could be the answer if i can get one that is neat and doesn’t rattle around, plus fits on the full suss.

Neilm – they look possibilities it’s just how to carry them without jersey pockets.

The small camel bak I have is pretty useless for anything more than tyre levers and the bigger camel bak is just too big.

ceepers

Osprey viper 5l is pretty good as a barely there pack. 2l bladder included £37 from go outdoors when I got mine. Enough room for a tube, lever, pump, tool and phone. You could stash a jacket on it too

Topeak small aero wedge is very discrete and will take a multi tool, tyre lever, co2, patches and a road tube, not tried it with a mtb tube, sure the medium one would take one.

Personally I’m running tubeless so for short rides I just take a multi tool in my pocket and risk it. I’ve had so few issues with tubeless going down and my local rides don’t go that far from civilisation anyway

Jamie
    Free Member

Road/CX, a small Topeak wedge saddle bag with straps. Can get innertube, 2xCO2, CO2 head, multitool, puncture repairs and levers.

MTB, a small clip Topeak wedge 2. It’s a bit bigger than the V1, which allows for the above, plus the bigger 29er tube.

Nowt in pockets other than phone maybe, and possibly a ‘nana.

Pump goes on frame in both cases.

This is all I use up to 4-5hr rides.

Simon

The small camel bak I have is pretty useless for anything more than tyre levers and the bigger camel bak is just too big.

So get one in between. I’ve got a Charge lr that’s perfect for summer riding.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of those little tubs that fit in the bottle cage.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

A saddle roll?

Like this?

simondbarnes

For sub 2hr mtb rides I carry a bottle of water and nothing else. For road I have a small saddlebag with 2 x tubes & tyre levers with pump mounted on frame.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Teetosugars – will that roll interfere with a dropper post?

Multitool, levers and puncture kit in a small saddle bag.
    Inner tube in a plastic bag taped to the frame.
    I don’t like carrying stuff in pockets, so for longer rides where I want extra food, I use a small frame bag.

mogrim

Saddle pack, although I just use a Camelbak – for shorter rides or in cooler weather I don’t bother filling it up completely.

aP
    Free Member

Arkel saddle bag.
    On all my bikes. Road/ cx/ mtb.

naffa
    Free Member

I use a hip pack, like a bum bag used to be.
    Theres enough room for all my tools, jacket etc without being as sweaty as a backpack

duntstick
    Free Member

slofox
    Free Member

I have no room on my full Sus. For bottle cages so use a Camelbak Charge it carries water tools and any waterproof or wind proof I might need later. On short rides I need the same really!

garage-dweller

Shirley all you need is a seat pack/EPMS and frame mounted pump.

Get a slightly bigger seat pack and the phone will fit too so you cannot crash land on that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Camelbak-2014-Rogue-2L-Hydrobak
    Camelbak rogue?

Fits multitool, phone, cash, keys, 2x tubes, light jacket, pump and some food along with 2l of water. Worked well for me.

kayak23

DrP

You want an awesome strap from these guys..

DrP

br
    Free Member

One in-between?

And the stuff you need to carry is easy; go out with nothing and each time you have a problem either add the tools/parts you need or accept you’ll walk home 🙂

Yesterday I damaged the rear rim on a rock about 20 miles from the car, enough for the tubeless to not hold air. Needed a tube, pump and pliers (to get the tubeless valve out). I then punctured that and needed to repair it (snake bite).

Punctured again, it was a light-weight tube, so we put in my riding buddy’s thick 29er (mines 26″) tube. Ran that back; so:

Tube
    Pump
    Pliers
    Patches
    Glue
    French chalk
    Sandpaper

At a minimum.

Plus the weather was very changeable, also at one point needed my gillet and arm-warmers. Along with liquids and food (40 miles and 6000ft climbing).

I use a Camelbak Mule.

Jamie
    Free Member

DrP

I can’t see no flaws in that system. None.

Edit: Ok, I was being a touch facetious there, but given the posts below it seems people actually use them.

Doesn’t all your stuff get caked in mud/fall out?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I use one of the Mt Zoom straps to hold a tube, levers and co2 cylinder on the seatpost anything else like my phone goes in my jersey pockets.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=205

drofluf
    Free Member

I use one of these:

warpcow
    Free Member

DrP – Member

DrP

I’ve got one of those and it works much better than I expected. I tend to use it mostly on the cross bike now. It holds a tube, lever, CO2, and small multitool for me. Otherwise, I also have a Topeak Wedge for longer rides. The clip version should be ok for a dropper. On the MTB I use a Camelbak Lobo a lot in summer. On good-weather days it’ll hold everything I need for a whole day out, without looking like I’m carrying the kitchen sink.

DrP

I can’t see no flaws in that system. None.

Doesn’t all your stuff get caked in mud/fall out?

!!

Jamie – they are fab bits of kit – really are!
    Dead simple, yet effective.
    I sewed a sall pouch type thing that I have a small tool, tyre levers, and change in, then just whack that and a tube (700c -> 29er all fit) in it, strap it to the saddle, and it’s sorted!

Nothing falls or shakes out, yet easy to take off or switch between bikes.

Yes, it can get mud on it, but hey ho…

Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it!

DrP

Del

I have an mtb tool roll, a mini tool roll (one for on and one for off road) and a pocket pouch, all from: The Breakaway

someone has found a way to charge a tenner for a pencil case. genius.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I’m going for the bag hat

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘recommend me something to carry essentials on short ride’ is closed to new replies.