Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me some…Port
  • lunge

Ignoring the fact that this looks like a push for the “most middle class thread on STW” award…

I have every intention of buying some good Port this weekend having just finished a bloody lovely bottle of 30 year Calem Tawny. The easy thing would be to simply buy another bottle of the same but where is the fun in that? Any suggestions?

globalti
    Free Member

Yes. Just buy ASDA’s cheapest then tip in a teaspoon of brandy. Everybody will think it’s a vintage that cost you £200.

(Old Army trick that an NCO taught my brother when he was running the mess bar for a month)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well if you like Tawny buy another bottle of similar. Otherwise a good Taylors should be a safe purchase.

I am little nervous as in a month we’ll be opening a 1963 and a 1970. In truth the older one could well be dead

binners

Anything will do for Cheeky Vimto’s. Surely the only reason anyone buys Port. Get a crate of blue in 😀

lunge

globalti, worth remembering to help get rid of the “cooking Port” that I got bought a while ago.

Jambalaya, Taylors feels a bit of a boring choice, feel like I should try something different. I stumbled across the Calem and it really, really impressed me, it’s absolutely beautiful stuff.

Binners, another fine use of the “cooking Port” I think.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I like Warres Otima 20 year old Tawny. Lovely stuff

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Tawny? Why not proper LBV?

lunge

Tawny? Why not proper LBV?

Because Tawny, well good Tawny at least is a much nicer and more pleasant drink. LBV tends to be quite heavy, a good Tawny is lighter and better flavoured. I like a good LBV but given a free choice I’d take a 10year+ Tawny every time.

gatsby
    Free Member

Grahams is my everyday port… Very good value and lovely smooth taste.

G

wolly
    Free Member

What Binners said, if you’re trying to posh it up a shot of grey goose in the mix 😉

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Dow’s ’66.
    I found a long forgotten bottle of this under the stairs.
    Absolutely sublime…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

LBV tends to be quite heavy

Exactly. The more the better. I want to be smacked in the face by the flavour sensation. Otherwise, you might as well be drinking Lambrini

lunge

Exactly. The more the better. I want to be smacked in the face by the flavour sensation.

ScottChegg, you’re confusing flavour with heaviness. A good Tawny will have as much, if not more flavour, it’ll be less in your face but there will be much more there.

In fairness, I was of the same view until I tried a friends 20 year Taylor’s Tawny, it was a bit of a game changer for me. LBV still has it’s place, in a hip flask whilst on a ski lift for one, but for general consumption I’ll take a Tawny.

DrJ

this looks like a push for the “most middle class thread on STW” award…

Not wrong there 🙂

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What hip flask for port on a ski lift?
    (New thread idea)

verses

mitsumonkey – Member

What hip flask for port on a ski lift?
    (New most middle class thread of the year idea)

binners

wolly – pint glass and a straw? 😀

kiwijohn

I make good port, but you’ll have to come to tassie to get it.

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re lucky enough to live in the North West, get to a Booths store. They have a fantastic selections of wines and spirits from all kinds of interesting producers.

sadmadalan

I’ve still got two bottle’s of Dow ’63 that I should drink

catfood
    Free Member

Taylors 20 year old tawny is nice, their 30 year old tawny is bloody fantastic, their 40 year old is a little better but not worth the extra cash.

wolly
    Free Member

wolly – pint glass and a straw?

is there another way

ransos
    Free Member

OP if you like tawny, try colheita: it’s tawny made from a single vintage and barrel aged. Bloomin’ marvellous stuff.

Mackem

A good quality/price/availability combo is Taylors 20 years.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Ahhhhh Port, reminds me of the first time I purchased a bottle of Graham’s 10yr old Tawny and thought it wise toclimb up on the porch like spiderman to a highrise.

Oh how deluded I was…

Seems £20 on that was well worth it!
    Highly reccomended.

lunge

Ranos, I actually tried a colheita before my last purchase and thought the 30 year Tawny was better. Maybe I’ll try that again next time.

lunge

In the highly unlikely event anyone is even vaguely interested in the outcome of my most middle class of conundrums, I ended up coming away with not 1 but 2 bottles. Firstly another bottle of Calem 30 year Tawny and second a 1985 vintage Taylor’s. The latter will get opened on my other halves significant birthday in the coming weeks.

Mackem

If you fancy a weekend away, go to Lisbon and the Instiute of Port wine. A catalogue of hundreds of ports to try by the glass. Page one is the cheapest, Last page the unaffordable. I used to just open it up in the middle somewhere and point.

binners

How were the Cheeky Vimto’s then?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some…Port’ is closed to new replies.