Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • recommend me some winter spd boots
  • theendisnigh
    Free Member

please :mrgreen:

druidh
    Free Member

MT91

paulevans
    Free Member

Just bought some Shimano MT81’s. Only got them yesterday and haven’t used them yet, but look to be quality.

slowboydickie

Just get some £10 thin wet suit socks and wear with current shoes. Toasting warm and totally waterproof.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

slowboydickie, can you point us in any particular direction? I have had massive success with a rash vest in really crappy wet weather, not dry, but warm, so wonder why I haven’t tried something similar for my feet…

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

MT91’s and some nice marigolds

cardo

+1 for Shimano MW81’s I’ve been using these for the last 2 months and can’t really fault them…

leffeboy

Got some MW81s and love ’em, they feel comfy and warm although you will want to buy them in a shop as the sizing is a bit funny (I ended up a size larger than I was expecting)

The MT91s look really nice though – could be tempted

transapp
    Free Member

First proper cold ride in my MW81’s today. Wore with Seal Skinz socks and I can say one thing – toasty! Actually, I felt my whole body was warmer without the cold feet of doom. Good walking in them as well (hike a bike up a very wet, muddy, rocky steep slope. I’ve put in toe stids and I’m very pleased. CRC had them for £100 recently as well

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

If I was still running SPDs then I would be having a set of these bad boys!

http://45nrth.com/products/category/softgoods

Was having a look at em in DC Cycles here in Ulverston t’other day – they are serious!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

If I was still running SPDs then I would be having a set of these bad boys!

Was having a look at em in DC Cycles here in Ulverston t’other day – they are serious!

druidh
    Free Member

The cost is serious

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Prefer the look of the MW81’s to the MT91, Tweeks at £112 look the cheapest. Not exactly cheap but there you go, we keep on paying mad prices so they keep charging them.

I like the sound of the wet suit socks. They may solve my problem, you see….

….apart from the cold wet feet thing, another reason I like the look of the winter boots, is the added ankle protection. I find that I press/knock/bruise my medial malleolus (presumably into the rear triangle but not sure) when doing any kind of adrenaline descents with switchbacks. I don’t know I’ve done this until I stop.

Wet suit socks sound like they may reduce this, I could even stuff some padding down. I have some in the shed, but think they may be too thick. I’ll have a look for some thin ones.

Cheers fellas!

theendisnigh
    Free Member

£3 for 3mm wet suit socks on amazon. I will check those out first. 2mm wetsuit socks at £15 on ebay.

New post. Which thickness wetsuit socks for mtb?……………

druidh
    Free Member

How much room do you have in your existing shoes/boots? Trying to fit them in could bloodflow and cause your toes to get really cold.

somafunk

I was out t’day in -4 with my Northwave Celsius Arctic’s for 3 hours in the galloway hills the first time in 20yrs i’ve ever had warm toasty feet in winter, and i’ve tried/owned Gaerne Eskimo, Shimano MW81’s, Lake boots of some description – i did size up to a 9, i usually take 8.5 in all footwear.

Now to find some way of keeping my hands warm and i’ll be fine – i have raynauds syndrome and it’s rather worrying when they go white and stay white for hours, and it’s also freaking sore.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Just tried my wet suit boots on and then tried to get foot into existing shoes. No chance in hell.

I might give the northwave boots a whirl, a very positive review above and they seem slightly cheaper than shimano
    http://www.globalbike.co.uk/products/Northwave-Celcius-GTX-Winter-Boot.html?gclid=CJeGk_jn_LMCFSTLtAodR24ATg

somafunk

They are the standard Celsius boots in your link – the Arctics are unfortunately £50 dearer

I’m not exactly sure what the difference is between the normal Celsius and the Arctics but i can heartily recommend the Arctics – i had normal thin merino socks on t’day and i never felt the cold in the slightest which is a first in 20yrs riding, not even after trudging through a burn crossing not long after setting off and having the water freeze on the outer of the shoe all afternoon. They are built extremely well and i’m confidant they’ll last for years.

somafunk

It wasn’t so much a burn crossing, more accurately i guess it could be called a small river and i did manage to cross on the stepping stones but my feet did end up in the water at one point.

FuzzyWuzzy

Northwave Celsius Arctic’s worked great for me yesterday (temp varied from 0-5c) paired with decent thick socks. Have worn them fine at 10c to with thinner socks. I also have Spesh Defrosters & Mavic Frosts (road) but these are much more comfy (and warmer/more waterproof). Not tried the ordinary version but my feet didn’t bake in the arctics on a mild but wet ride so I reckon it’s worth paying the extra as they should cope with sub zero rides assuming you use decent socks.

mauja
    Free Member

Another vote for the Northwave Celsius shoes from me, I’ve got the normal version not the Artic ones though. Only used them down to around zero so far and they’ve been plenty warm enough with regular socks, paired with some winter socks they’d be fine for much lower temperatures.

momo

I’m coming into the second winter with my Northwave Celcius (non arctic variety) boots, always worn with normal riding socks, I’ve never felt the need for thick socks even down to -2 or so.

On these threads I always recommend going and trying boots on before buying, I have quite wide feet and tried Shimano, Specialized and Mavic boots before the Northwaves and non of them fitted my feet comfortably, I was surprised about the Mavic fitting as thier summer shoes are a near perfect fit for me!

It’s a lot of money to throw away if the boots aren’t comfortable for you to wear.

geedub16
    Free Member

I have the MW80’s with cotton socks and ski socks after 4 hours mountain biking my feet were very cold need a solution also the socks soaked in the rain on another day through the neoprene cuff leaving me cold, wet and numb so still looking for a solution to keep my feet warm and dry in the mw80’s

wetsuit socks sound a good idea

oldgwegg
    Free Member

I just wear my normal “summer” Shimano shoes/boots (ankle high) and put a pair of BBB neoprene winter shoe cover things. They zip up snug and have a velcro fastening well above the ankle. Lovely and toasty and the plus side is that I don’t have to wash off any crap from my shoes. Good for any temps here in the Auvergne, France (-10°c is normal, don’t usually go out in colder). With really warm socks (or a pair of SealSkinz if necessary) its doing the multiple layers thing to keep you warm. And of course, its cheaper than owning another pair of expensive boots.

Edit: just saw the problem of getting wetsuit socks into bike shoes. If thats a problem just pay up for a pair of Sealskinz – I’ve had one pair for years. At first, they feel what (I imagine) it must be like wearing a plastic bag for a condom – a bit baggy and shapeless. They don’t seem to hug your feet like normal socks. But doesn’t bother me now and they aren’t any more difficult to get in my shoes than normal socks.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’ve ordered Northwave Celcius (non arctic variety) from bike discount, £90 delivered. Hopefully it will help, if nothing else it will give me more time to dry my current shoes between rides.

mrchrispy

you’ll be fine with the Celsius and some decent socks.
    I’ve had the arctic for 2 winters now and they are ace (I commute pretty much everyday).
    seriously good boots, tried neoprene overshoes with thick socks before the northface and although its okay the arctics knock them into next week.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Wore my arctics last Thu around zero with wool hiking socks and it was too warm. Foot plunged shin deep a few times in puddles and stayed almost totally dry. I reckon they are fine with normal socks in almost anything I’ll ever be out biking in.

A mate has them…now 5yrs old and still good to wear

br
    Free Member

MW81 shoes, sealskinz socks and Stealth tights which zip over the outside of the shoe neoprene – pretty much 100% waterproof/windproof.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

got my northwave celcius boots today from bikediscount.de (ordered sunday night), just tried them on and somafunk was quite right, they are a half size out. Luckily I trusted his words and got half a size up.

Good call somafunk. Thanks.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience of these, really fancy a pair, cheers!!!

GEDA
    Free Member

I have these Rose £88!

for commuting in this..

My feet are lovely and toasty. They are well made and look like they will last.

The new model is a bit more (£122) but has a higher neoprene sock.
    rose winter boot version 2

oxym0r0n

£10 overshoes from on-one – peel them off and rinse them after the ride and keep your shoes clean and mainly dry…

druidh
    Free Member

A mere £235 or so will get you the 45Nrth Wolvhammer

Frankers
    Free Member

I have Shimano MW81 and Northwave Celcius (non artic) and still get really cold feet when around 2 to -2 and below

Like the look of the new Lake winter boot, are they available yet??

somafunk

theendisnigh : No worries 🙂 , glad i could help as there’s now’t worse than ordering something and then finding out after a few rides that you should’a sized up/down for that perfect fit. I originally ordered the Northwave Arctic boots in a 42 but after walking about the house for 3 hours my feet were getting pinched so i parcelled them up for return and ordered the 43, which fit’s perfectly – funnily enough the 43 according to northwave sizing says it’s a 9.5 in UK sizing?, i am a straight down the middle 8.5, erring on the small side of 8.5 if i’m honest in all footwear so i dunno how northwave can justify saying these are a 9.5 in UK sizing?.

I did look at those boots from rose bikes but why make a winter boot with serious design flaws that are going to trap winter mud and general crap as they will with those big velcro wraps?, or why not provide a thin neoprene cover that pulls up over the straps and allow the mud or water to run cleanly off?, the lakes in the upper picture are very similar to the ones i had a few years ago and they were utter crap – very stiff heel cup and poor fitting round the heel cup which made walking impossible without leaving you with massive blisters and the toe guard came unstuck and flapped loads of times, lake wouldn’t replace them as they were worn but what do you expect for something you use 3 days a week for 3 months in winter?, so i eventually took the huff and threw them in the bin, kinda stupid i know but i’d had enough by that point.

somafunk

Eh?, i just posted on here wishing theendisnigh well wi his purchase but where is it?, is there a forum post thief?

somafunk

Ah…there it is up there ^…..Time to step away from the Balvenie i think 😳

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Tredz have the lakes boots at £169!!!

GEDA
    Free Member

serious design flaws

🙂 have you not seen my pictures? It is really cold here and very snowy. Not noticed the issues you are talking about and before that it was really muddy. Why pay twice the price? the tongue of the boot is integral to it so water can’t get in. The neoprene could be higher on the one I got but to be honest l have not got wet feet. My definition of a winter boot would have ability to totally submerge in water and still be dry as a nice to have but not essential as I am not going to try and do that and wearing full waterproof trousers covers water dripping down your legs. I can’t afford to spend twice the price on something I am going to need 5% of the time

If it was really wet then I would go down the route of overshoes and have something that is going to keep my feet warm rather than dry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some winter spd boots’ is closed to new replies.