Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me some winter mountain bike clothing
  • bomberman
    Free Member

I’m struggling to get motivated with the weather being so bad. I have no riding jacket, i have endura singletrack shorts and knee warmers and summer gloves, i have some sealskinz waterproof socks which are brilliant but i am short on the basics.

So can you please recommend me:

Jacket
    Gloves
    Shorts (or alternative…. trousers?)

I’m on a tight budget so i’m looking for good value, stuff that does the job but doesn’t cost a fortune. Even if it’s non-mtb branded i’ll be happy if it keeps me warm and dry.

Not been on the bike for 2 months!!

MarkE25

I find the glacier glove neoprene gloves are great in the cold, wet weather. They are £20ish I think and keep my hands warm in the snow. As a cold hand sufferer this is a good thing!
    Jacket wise, a gore Rex or event jacket is the way to go for waterproofing I think. I bought a nice large Pace event jacket off the classifieds a couple of weeks ago that seems good. However, arms are a bit short for me at 6’4″ so i might stick it back on and see if I can get my £45 back.

jekkyl

A quality baselayer top will see you for years. I have an endura one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

£28 will get you a set of pogies to use with your summer gloves.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Endura II singletrack trouser
    Spesh defrosters

Keep you dry and warm and lasts season after season.

But if I could buy one thing it would be a merino base layer. Layer up with long sleeve top and ride. I’d avoid the winter gloves, tops etc they tend not to breath, you just get sweaty and cold. Layer. Take off put on.

iainc

Worth a look at the Tenn stuff online. I got their waterproof shorts a few weeks ago and they’re only £20. Also got a softshell, not yet tried in bike yet, for under £30 and it looks and feels warm and well built.

bomberman
    Free Member

I have a base layer and you’ve reminded me i have some base pants that i could wear under trousers. It really is a slop fest around where i live right now most of the time it’s under fog or i look out of the window and it’s raining sideways, it’s been like that since the beginning of november!

bomberman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ever wear pogies, what would you do in a crash?!! Definitely not for me.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/100-brisker-cold-weather-glove-2016/rp-prod121141

maybe something like these? i do have some thin gloves for wearing underneath summer gloves but they have got lost in two house moves and i remember they tended to stretch my summer gloves

benp1

Where are you riding? Are you pottering around in cold weather, or going up into the mountains in changeable conditions?

A cheap option would be lots of layers and a windshirt, then a waterproof for emergencies

I’ve been wearing a Rab Vapour Rise Alpine Lite jacket and have been really impressed with it. I’ve been wearing a synthetic base layer, rather than merino, underneath to keep the sweat moving. It’s been remarkably effective and breathable, but if I was going somewhere exposed I’d have more layers in a pack or bumbag just in case

benp1

Keep wearing your shorts, get a pair of unpadded waist tights. They’ll let you wear your shorts right through winter

honeybadgerx

+1 rab vapour rise, available in various weights to suit weather/where you ride. Some waterproof shorts also make a massive difference I find. Have a look at some Marmot XT gloves too (xc ski gloves so they have a nice curved fit).

bomberman
    Free Member

i ride mostly around calderdale and the hills above hebden bridge.

What’s this about unpadded waist tights benp1? any link?

rab jacket looks good

ocrider

A Craft windstopper baselayer.

MarkE25

Craft base layers are great in my experience. Seriously warm and don’t hold moisture like merino does. I can only wear my windstopper one in very cold weather though as it is so warm-happy wearing just this and a long sleeved cycling top down to just above freezing. Waterproof shorts are great, I’ve had most luck with the gore alp x ones, pricy but can often be found reduced and seem to last better than others I’ve tried.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if you are going to ride in more exposed and windy places you will better kit and a stioic attitude, so modify your routes to be less exposed.

I bought some 3/4 MT500 shorts or you could wear some bib tights or similar under your shorts. I hae some Endura thermolite but only wear them rarely as they are too warm ! The 3/4’s seem to be fine for me. I don’t have a proper rainproof cycling jacket as my commuter one got lost. Most of the time I just layer up but I do have an Endura windchill jacket too. If its absolutely chucking it down I either don’t go out or I try and ride in the woods under tree cover. You can look at a jacket which doubles up as casual off to the pub wear.

sweepy
    Free Member

Could you be a bit more specific with your pogie recommendation please scotroutes?

bomberman
    Free Member

Jambalaya i just want to be completely rain and cold proof so i can go out in any weather. I have the stoic attitude i just don’t want hypothermia!

I think i have a jacket sussed, base layer i have i’ll start looking into shorts and gloves and possibly trousers now keep the recommendations coming

bomberman
    Free Member

i ended up buying one of these

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p75049/Madison-Roam-Waterproof-Cycling-Jacket.aspx

Bit trendy and seems to have good reviews, plus i can wear it to the pub. Will let you know how i get on with it.

ninfan
    Free Member

Lots of soft shell on the regatta store nice and cheap, eg: this that IMO are better for most riding as a full waterproof ends up boil in the bag. There’s huge and complex arguments over whether the disadvantages of waterproof shells outweigh the benefits for active sports eg: http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/cut_the_crap1

Personally, I’m far more of a fan of roubaix Lycra tights for winter use eg: these

benp1

Sorry, missed your post. Look at something like a pair of these to wear under your shorts. I ride in the winter in these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-unpadded-waist-tight/

bomberman
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

scotroutes

I just use the basic ones. They make a huge difference to the warmth of your hands and you can just wear thin gloves so you don’t lose any grip/control that can sometimes happen with bulky winter gloves.

It’s fair to say that my Winter Riding might be a bot chillier than many on here. 3/4s? I don’t think so!

crashrash

Another vote for the 3/4 length shorts – I have endura mt500 as well. Genius as when riding the water does not run back up the shorts! Base layer if you like merino then on-one stuff is hard to beat at £20 for the t-shirt. Agree with the comments about soft shell stuff. Good trick is to buy a pot of Nikwax wash in waterproofing and use that on the softshell. Best of both worlds!

br
    Free Member

rab jacket looks good

I assumed when you said you were on a budget, it’d be a small one 😉

bomberman
    Free Member

Just to update the thread, i got the Madison Roam jacket and it has served me very well indeed, it’s NOT a boil in the bag sweat inducer it has vents in the back and it’s very waterproof to the point where you could pour a pint of ale down the front of it and it’d just bounce off. How warm you want to be depends on how many layers you put under it.

The only problem is, it’s now become my main winter jacket as i wear it everywhere.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Unfortunately theres a lot of bullshit and fashion taxes in the outdoor clothing world and no shortage of businesses prepared to relieve you of large sums of money for things that don’t work.

A few things to bear in mind:

1) Waterproofs when doing heavy exercise will always become sweaty inside so vents are a must, no matter how technologically advanced the manufacturer claims the fabric is!

2) The nature of MTB sweat, mud, grit, abrasion, constant washing, crashes etc mean outer layers get trashed and waterproofing gets worn away over time, sometimes very quickly.

3) The reason most gear under performs is because of the compromises required to make practical clothing i.e. weight and bulk for biking, the constant abrasion damaging the fabrics and wetting through from both sides.

4) The big established names often charge way over the odds for their most basic low end ranges, which are no better than other cheapo brands, be careful!

5) Apart from neoprene once a fabric is saturated (including unicorn wool Merino) it’s insulating properties no longer make any difference, think how fast heat transfers through a wet tea towel when you pick up a hot dish from an oven!

Having a well insulated windproof and ventilated core/trunk, dryish crotch, warm (not necessarily dry) hands and feet go a long way to making you feel more comfortable over long periods. You will never be completely dry or 100% comfortable and some of your gear (particularly outer layers) will have to be regularly replaced or re-waterproofed due to washing and damage.

IME A water and windproof ventilated jacket is most important because non of the layers underneath will work if piss wet through! Don’t spend an absolute fortune if you fall off a lot, you will be sick when your 300 quid coat is ripped first ride! having said that you won’t get away with the cheapest non-breathing fabrics when weather conditions are at there worst! Synthetic base layers tend to be more effective and cheaper, although some are not as comfortable against the skin. You can get away with the cheapest polyester ski base layers for a few quid (I do) if it doesn’t irritate your skin when damp! I vary mid layers for temperature control, buying synthetic jerseys etc that can be layered and worn on their own in summer, so in simple terms anything thats not cotton from any sport will do.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some winter mountain bike clothing’ is closed to new replies.