Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me some ….. winter bike boots. Northwave or Spesh?
  • dazzlingboy

I HATE cold toes. And seem to get them easily. I used to ride SPD but have been on flatties for years – now back to SPD but need some winter shoes having tried the summer shoes/sealskins route today.

Looking at Northwave Extreme Winter or Celsius Arctic – possible Spesh Defrosters. Don’t like the look of the 45North stuff – price and zip etc.

Anyone have any experience of the NW or Specialized? What about sizing – normal (room for socks) or go bigger?

ton

loved my defrosters when I used spd’s.
    1 tip, buy big, because they are cold and you will need some warm socks on with them.

mtbfix

I like my Defrosters. They keep out the wet pretty well but not mega warm. Roomy fit too.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Louis Garneau 0degree ls100 shoes

I’ve not used them much so can’t comment in too much detail. They are very warm though, and I find the fit is good (I have a slim foot and take a 42 in a Mavic, and 41.5 when I could get it in a Shimano). Price is good too.

It was the first time I’d looked at Louis Garneau shoes and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. They feel almost as comfortable as my Mavic Rush xc shoes.

z1ppy

I’m still erring towards Lake MXZ303 over any of those, for a proper cold weather boot, even over the 45North stuff.

JCL
    Free Member

Big review of winter shoes in MBR this month.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

How wide are your feet? Mine are fairly wide and Northwave have a good reputation for suiting wider feet. I have both the regular Celsius and the Celsius Arctics – both of which work a treat. As above, go up a size for thicker socks.

downshep

Defrosters are a bit of a misnomer for me. Well shaped, comfy, supportive and fine in grotty mild conditions but **** all insulation. Just bought some Shimano MT91s for winter use. Totally different beast, like lightweight hillwalking boots with cleats.

jag61

been using NW canyon GTX boots for a few years got 45 instead of 44 very comfy quite a low heel makes them feel a bit loose added an extra closed cell foam insole toasty warm lots of padding make them slow to dry will get some overboots soon. Not sure if they make them any more but quality is good and warm and comfy.

jordie
    Free Member

Bought a pair of Lake boots before Xmas after my 6 year old shimano gave up keeping my feet warm. They are very good at keeping water out from the front wheel, not had cold feet yet combined with cosy socks.

iainc

2014 defrosters are a bit different. I have posted in last week if you want to look back. Firstly, sizing, no longer need to go a size up as they are bigger than spesh shoes of same size. I had mine on for first time today and quite impressed. Temp was just above freezing, lots of icy puddles and cold mud. Had a pair of woolie boolies on and feet warm and dry for the 4 hrs I was out. I don’t think they are as good as the northwave ones but if you need BG they are spot on

dazzlingboy

Thanks all – yes read your notes on the defrosters iainc – have mailed evans to check the ones they have in stock are the new ones and hopefully give them a try in their Edinburgh store. However everyone seems to agree they’re dry but cold which doesn’t really solve my problem – I was dry and cold with summer shoes and sealskins today!

Northwaves sounds like they’re worth a check too – hard to get a pair to try though. Maybe order some from CRC and take advantage of their free return if I don’t like what I see.

Didn’t think of Lake – will have a gander at those.

Ta.

jordie
    Free Member

Try some of those tog rated socks with a thinner pair underneath. You need to get your boots big enough to get thick socks in and be able to move your toes around.

dazzlingboy

Mmmmm – reading about those Lakes – they look amazing. Can’t quite work out if they’re waterproof though – built for super cold sub zero but will they keep the rain out? I guess they do but anyone know for sure?

iainc

I found the new defrosters a significant amount warmer than my old 2011 pair. If you suffer from cold feet and don’t need spesh for the ergonomics (which I do) then the northwaves are ace.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I got the Northwave Celcius Arctics in my normal shoe size (I have wide feet) they are amazingly warm!!! I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to buy winter boots.

dazzlingboy

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to buy winter boots

Me too – very excited about warm feet!

bails

I’ve got some defrosters. Had them for a few years, always been warm enough with merino socks, even on minus 8 snowy commutes.

They do stink now though!

manton69

My Lakes are definitely waterproof, but do need to be looked after more like a pair of walking boots. They are very warm as well. Have alook at them and make sure that you try them on if you can. the sizes did seem to be accurate for my small size 41 boots.

samuri
    Free Member

I love my NorthWave Celcius GTX boots. Had them years.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Yep I love my NorthWave Celsius GTX boots too. Quality boots

adsh
    Free Member

^+1 Best kit I bought in 2013 – just brilliant.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I had problems with lakes and shimano m540 pedals. It might just be where I wanted the cleat but the edge of the shoe rubbed on the crank arm with every rotation.
    Switched to northwave arctic and no complaints yet.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Strangely I find the opposite to most on here with my Defrosters (2013, not the new ones that look the same but have apparently better insulation). They seem to be warm enough but let the water in easily from the top, so you then get wet feet, which tend to then get cold. My old Shimano boots with the neoprene ankle cuff were much better at keeping water out. Also had to return one boot as the Boa stopped working after a couple of rides.

MSP

I have commented on many threads about how bad the 2013 defrosters were. I just couldn’t believe when other posters were recommending them, I can only think they have never owned any other winter boots for comparison. The 2014 ones are a big improvement.

iainc

MSP – I’ll second that. I have had a pair of 2011 ones which only gave up last week when I stripped a thread on cleat plate. I had actually bought some 2013 ones a few months ago on back of a PSA on here and I returned them straight away, as far too narrow and tight.

The 2014 ones carrived last week and I really like them – good fit – me size as my spesh shoes, but space for thick socks, good high ankle cuff. They kept me dry and toasty yesterday in temps around freezing with lots of mud and deep puddles.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im gonna try the northwave celcius artic gtx next time look a nice slim non bulky boot

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Northwave celcius are quite simply excellent.

I don’t need thick or special socks in any conditions, just my usual everyday thin cotton ones, even in minus lots conditions. No overshoes, no faff.

chris_db
    Free Member

I got some Northwaves I no longer use (they were a bit too big for me. Size 47; good nick £40 (if anyone is interested)…

Chris

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im usually a size 9 in normal shoes, but in shimano mw81 boots im a 45eu, any ideas what size id need for the northwaves folks?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Mine are bang on my usual size. Go 44 so you can wear thick socks if you need to.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some ….. winter bike boots. Northwave or Spesh?’ is closed to new replies.