Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Recommend me some wartime reading
  • Cowman

Was just getting to the end of the thread thinking I must add Derek Robinson! Ha. Goshawk Squadron is brilliant. I spent far more than I care to admit buying the whole trilogy!

First of the many – Alan Morris.
    Brief Glory – Alex Revelle.
    They fought for the sky – Quentin Reynolds
    Redcoat – Richard Holme.

Hope this helps!

Cowman

For those mentioning Bomber. Radio 4 did a dramatization of it in the 90s. Was broadcast in real time. Think you can still buy it on CD.

Was really well done.

irc

Another vote for Chickenhawk and Despatches. Another good Vietnam book is “A Rumour of War” by Philip Caputo.

I just finished reading “1812: Napoleon’s Fatal March on Moscow” by Adam Zamoyski. Wriiten in the same style as Beevor’s Stalingrad. An overview of the strategic position combined with loads of first hand quotes and description of the conditions both sides went through. Until I read it I wasn’t aware that a battle in this campaign was the biggest one day loss of life until the first day of the Somme.

i_like_food

No read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been posted.

Ray Mears’ “The Real Heroes of Telemark” is great, I’ve just finished reading it for the umpteenth time).

Simon Murray “Legionnaire” is also a brilliant read and a change from the normal military non-fiction.

Duffer
    Free Member

Not too interested in the far east.

I feel a bit of a cock for saying this now. Just finished The Forgotten Highlander. What an unbelievable story.

Shocking in so many ways.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some wartime reading’ is closed to new replies.