Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me some walking boots, please
  • yoshimi

I know I need to try them, but as I don’t really know where to start, canm you point me in the right direction.

Looking for some leather ones upto around £100

Thanks

Nico
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Brasher boots. They are quite old now – 20 years or so and I see they are now trendy:

https://www.puckerclothinguk.com/footwear/men-en/boots/brasher-boots-mens-gore-tex-lace-ups-en.html?gclid=COeh8v6C-8QCFYrJtAodRXkAHA

The main asset is that they are very light, yet stiff and waterproof. Possible not ideal for K2 but otherwise all most people need.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lightweight (low level) or heavy duty?

Can recommend Grisport for lightweight leather, Vibram soles, seem to go forever and feel like slippers, or so Mrs Rider tells me. She’s had two pairs of Hurricanes in about ten years. I think the men’s equivalent would be something like the Fuse.

spawnofyorkshire

Best advice is to go to a shop like cotswolds and try lots of pairs on.
    Keep your eye out for sales where you can often get 50% off.
    Vibram soles are good. Lightness is a factor you need to keep in mind.
    I have some incredibly light Meindl boots that look f***ing horrible, but are comfy as slippers.
    Factor in keeping them waterproof as well. Leather means waxing, goretex (like mine) means treating. Both are easy but need to be kept up
    Edit: I got my Meindls very cheap because they look rubbish but are in fact very good boots, Cotswolds sold them off cheap because they weren’t moving off the shelves like they should have done.

midlifecrashes

No use if they don’t suit your feet, but Brasher Supalite are fantastic, and sneak into your budget if you shop around. The light weight really makes a difference in my experience.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Fit is the most important aspect so get yourself to an outdoors shop and try some on. A good shop will guide you to the type of boot misted suited to your needs.
    Low boots such as Brashers are great for walking foot paths and well trafficked routes. If you are going to be walking over rougher and loose ground you may want more protection and support from a full boot. Some boots work better with gaiters than others, again if you are going to out in bad weathers then keep this in mind.

I have Brasher Hillmasters Goretex boots which the rand split. They were exchanged and split again. They are lightweight and comfy getting used for all sorts now although the sole is worn to nothing. I also have a pair of Meindl Vakuum GTX boots which have a memory foam lining and are as comfy as slippers but these are very strong supportive boots and the leather took a lot of breaking in. These are total overkill for walking on hardpack routes.

benji
    Free Member

Gooutdoors do brashers, and several other brands, I’ve got thin feet and went for mammut, very comfy.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Bought a pair of Meindl Responds from Cotswolds yesterday. Very impressed with the care they take in measuring your feet to get the right fit. The Meindls I got are very light and very comfy. Hopefully they will be a good summer boot for trekking and low level fell walking, only time will tell.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Altberg. They can repair them when necessary and can also accommodate individual needs on fit to an extent. They have a shop in Richmond and the factory is on an industrial estate above the town.

Actually I see they now have stockists nationwide and can do factory fit too. A bit over budget for the bespoke ones (as opposed to shop stock) but they really are a boot for life.

Felofagen
    Free Member

I agree with comments about Cotswold Outdoors. Very good fitting service. The boots they recommended for my very wide feet still feel like the best slippers I ever had – after a great many miles of hiking

DaveRambo

I also got a pair of Meindl boots from Cotswolds, probably 5 years ago now. Took about 3 hrs for fitting and trying of different boots so go on a weekday afternoon.

I would highly recommend Meindl, mine are not light but they felt the best when I bought them and are fantastic to wear.

yoshimi

Thanks for the advice guys, but as I expected, it all came down to fit and comfort.

I had help with the fitting and tried quite a few boots from Scarpa, Berghaus, Brasher. The Meindl ones sarted far more expensive than I was prepared to pay – I really liked the Scarpa boots but I couldn’t get away from the fact that the cheaper Hi-Tec ones were the comfiest – so ended up with these (approx £90 with discount codes)…

Hi Tec Altitude Pro RGS WP

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

worked in climbing shops for more years than I care to remember. Brasher boots are the fault brand for many years. Can’t go wrong. They used to come up a little small so most users had 1/2 bigger. Also look at In0v8 walking boots. Really lightweight if that’s a priority.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If you’re in the right end of England, go to Alt-Berg in Richmond. Standard fits in 5 widths, custom fits available.

They’re bloody lovely. Buy direct from the factory. Whats not to like?

Edit -just seen they’ve been recommended already. So that’s a +1 then.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some walking boots, please’ is closed to new replies.