Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me some walkie talkies
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Need to have decent range +5 miles and work in mountainous (ish) terrain. The ability to link 4 or more units would be useful.

nickc

mobile phones.

walkie-talkies that you can buy and use legally have about 1km range. Almost nothing in the woods and mountians. most are useless IME.

CaptJon
    Free Member

We want something more reliable than mobiles.

GrahamS

Range isn’t very good, but the styling is great.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bought some terrain 550’s from maplin online. Quality little bits of kit, they were half price at the time tho, range of 8km I think. I’ve never used them in the woods tho.

Harry_the_Spider

We tried all sorts at HtN to communicate between marshals etc. None of them worked in the woods.

The only people with any success were the medics who had pro kit.

nickc

nods at GrahamS.

liking ’em, worried they might clash with…well…everything really.

hels
    Free Member

Terrain 550s have a range of about the size of your average supermarket carpark. If you can wave to the person then they are within range.

Lots of variables, hill curve, trees, cloud cover etc will impact on usefulness, but I have found these babies to be most awesome and Santa will be getting my letter soon:

http://www.farnboroughcommunications.com/icom-ic-f15-ic-f25-two-way-radio-112-p.asp

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s funny hells as we used them in Scotland quite easily! Kids an mrs back in the farmhouse whilst I went for a wander up over the hills a good mile and half away!! you tried em or just spouting sh¥te??

CaptJon
    Free Member

Thanks all.

hels
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain, I’ve used loads of different types of radios running DH XC etc races and comms are crucial.

If you are playing around I am sure the small ones are fine. If you need to get medics somewhere fast don’t mess about, use the proper ones. Can recommend a hire place if you want ?

Wrightyson – I know lots of people in t’internet spout rubbish but I am talking from experience here. Nothing happens until we have comms in place and confirmed. Mobile phones as back-up.

pacemaker
    Free Member

We got some of these when were in the US, the range was amazing, BUT i don’t think there uk legal. 😯
    These

wrightyson
    Free Member

Fair do’s! Ventures into the woods with cheap walkie talkie 🙄

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Mitex

Click Here

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some walkie talkies’ is closed to new replies.