Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me some V-brakes
  • nammynake
    Free Member

OK OK, try not to vomit, or accuse me of being clinically insane. I am converting a 2005 Hardrock into a winter singlespeed/runabout bike and would like to replace the tired stock v-brakes. I want something with decent stopping power (compared with other v-brakes).

Reviews seem to gravitate towards either Shimano XT or Avid Single Digit 7.

Opinions please (excluding telling me to buy discs / new bike).

Thanks

clubber
    Free Member

I have some xt v brakes I’m about to sell… They work very well…

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you can get hold of some old xtr parallel pull v brake you’ll be golden.

nicko74

Avid SD7s are great in my experience; I’ve run them both as a full set (front and back) and just on the back when I had a disc brake up front. Couldn’t fault them really; combine them with some KoolStop mixed-compound pads (pink and black) for great stopping power. And simple as fudge to fiddle/ fix.

billyboy
    Free Member

just get Deore….

they work

The Avid I’ve used broke after a year, and the XT/XTR I’ve used more recently had the screaming ebeejeebees (older original XTR V’s were good mind you)

fasthaggis

Yup ,Avid 7s are fine.

Wished that I had gone half and half at Kielder,when a guy with an old Kona ( Vs on the back,disk on front)went past as we all tried to get our brakes working 🙁

Water
    Free Member

If you can track down a pair of the parallel pull XTR’s then they’re about as good as you can get.

Source = My dad who refuses to change to ‘these new fangled discs.’

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Avid SD Ultimates, inc matching levers.

Ooh! Like the set I’ve got here…. 8)

XTRs are bloody nice too I reckon.

perthmtb
    Free Member

+1 for SD7s, and a pair of speed dial levers to go with them. I’ve been real happy with the RW2 pads that come with them too, and haven’t felt the need to change.

cookeaa

Deores on my SS are bob on…. your after solid and functional for a winter SS right?

parallel pull just ain’t worth it…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just bought a set of xt v brakes for my cx commuter from rose bikes for £38 for the pair.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Although technically not vbrakes, the Magura Hs33’s use the v mounting points and provide heaps of stopping power.

Can get them pretty cheap off the bay.

I have a set to fit to my commuter once I can get me act together and lengthen the rear hose.

mattbee

Got Avid Single Digit Ti on one bike which are pretty good and the 1st gen XT parallel push on the other. Prefer the XT as they have more modulation but will still merrily lock up a wheel covered in slimy chalky mud.

Ashley
    Free Member

Okay – I know you said not to tell you to put discs on – but an 05 hardrock frame has disc mounts and if you want to use this for winter – putting disks on is the much cheaper option.
    I remember many a ride going through a whole set of v-pads in a single go, and rims being destroyed in the grinding paste.

but you could get a set of 6 bolt disc brake wheels from CRC for £69.99 and a set of Elixr disk brakes from Merlin for £89.99, sell your old stuff on e-bay and have something much more suitable.

hazeii
    Free Member

Avids definitely – all models work well, but the cheaper ones just feel flimsier.

Later model XTR parallel versions (as pictured above) were notorious for squealing, and before buying any 2nd hand XT/XTR parallel push you’d want to check they don’t have worn pivots and wobbly pads.

nammynake
    Free Member

Discs would require new hubs and a wheel rebuil too. I don’t want to spend loads.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have XTR/XT on my 2000 Hardrock and they’ve both been great. I also used to have some Avid Arch Rivals which I rated as well.

Dickyboy

Pad choice is the main thing – upgraded XT vees with KoolStop dual compound (salmon & black) as nicko74 & not looked back, otherwise deore, LX, XT vee brakes are much the same. Levers with the adjustable leverage are worth the money too – personally I prefer LX m580 & m570 over XT levers.

nas50
    Free Member

Been using XTR v brakes for years with fibrax pads, shimano pads work well but don’t last as long

MarkyG82

LX here upgraded to cartridge pads. At the time this was the only difference between them and XT (apart from colour). 10ish years old and just put them on their 4th bike.

nammynake
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys, doesn’t seem much in it between Avid SD7 and Shimano XT. I’ll see what prices they come up at after Christmas. My Hardrock is currently in the LBS and will have its singlespeed conversion done next week (32×16, DMX conversion with chain tensioner).

Rather than starting a new thread, I’d also like to replace the stock RST Gilla forks. They are truly horrible forks and weight a bloody tonne. I’m not sure how heavy but I’ve heard reports of 7lbs. I’ve also become accustomed to the FOX FIT 32 forks on my full suss, so they feel even worse now!

I’ve seen these, any good for general XC riding?

RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air 100mm Fork With Poplock:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRECGLDAIR/rockshox_recon_gold_tk_solo_air_100mm_fork_with_poplock

flashes
    Free Member

I have Avid Arch rivals on my every day and race bike, no complaints..

perthmtb
    Free Member

Those forks came standard on my Giant XTC hardtail. As the bike shop said to me, they’re not as ‘plush’ as the Fox ones, so you’ll notice a bit of difference on rocky technical stuff. But for general XC and at that price they’ll be fine…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some V-brakes’ is closed to new replies.