Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • recommend me some soft grips – rigid 29er content
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’d be lying if I said I got numb hands when riding but it’s borderline…..

I’ve bought some sponge Crank Brothers cobalt grips but before I fit them I thought I’d check my theory?

Don’t sponge grips end up as errrrr sponges in the rain???

I like the look of ergo grips but when I go down steep stuff I need to get off the saddle won’t the angle of the ‘wings’ of the grips reduce my fear grip on the bars?? 😆

ska-49
    Free Member

Im using ESI race grips and they are very comfy. I imagine the chunky version would soak up the chatter nicely. Its part of their marketing BS.

http://www.biketart.com/17985/products/ESI-Chunky-Grips.aspx?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

geordiemick00
    Free Member

do they become sodden when it rains??

ska-49
    Free Member

Not at all. They stay dry as a bone and dont move either. The grip is still superb (unlike conventional rubber grips). They are also light if that helps.

rewski
    Free Member

oury lock ons are pretty soft.

HarYuken
    Free Member

+1 for ESI – they are brilliant

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Lizard Skin Lock on North Shores are nice and comfy.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

ESI Chunky grips made a huge difference to my comfort levels riding rigid. They don’t soak up moisture or swell up to any noticeable degree. Maybe not as robust and impact-resistant as other grips but a lot more comfortable. Cheap enough to replace as well.

Recommend these with Ragley Carnegie bars – I haven’t looked back since fitting them to my 29er and only miss the suspension forks on very long rocky or rutted descents.

will
    Free Member

Running Decathlon £3 sponge grips, not that bad, do move around a bit and are a sponge when wet. So infact probably not that great but they are £3

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got some ritchey roam grips, couple of drops of glue keeps them still, they’re on my winter bike so either they don’t soak up water or I’ve never noticed it as a problem, just bought some for my hardtail and they’ll probably end up on the pitch as well they’re so comfortable.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Another vote for ESI chunky grips here.

Rode the Spam Blast 110km on the rigid 29er this weekend; shoulders and a**e were a bit sore at the end but hands were fine.

Softer still? I wrapped my grips with some old Cinelli Gel bar tape that I use on my road bikes for a 24hr this summer. Worked a treat.

wwaswas

try some Ergon ones? Not that soft but spread the load across the whole of the pad of your palm.

audiophile
    Free Member

ODI Rogues are soft and thicker than most, use these on my hardtail and find them great on big days out.

bentudder

Another vote for ESI. I have Racer’s Edge on one bike, and chunky on the other, and they are both very, very comfortable and do not move about.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Race Face Good’n’Evil are pretty chunky as rubber grips go

OCB
    Free Member

Maybe have another look at ergonomic grips …

They aren’t especially ‘soft’, but I find the small-sized Specialized BG Ergo-grips to be very comfortable indeed. They used to do them in three sizes, so you can fine tune them pretty well.

I’ve not noticed the flat section gets in the way either …

For completeness, I’m using them on fully rigid bikes – with Jones Bars.

johnnystorm

Oury good and squishy, KCNC firmer but loads lighter.

Northwind

I like the Renthal Kevlars… They’re not actually that soft but they somehow feel soft, if that makes any sense. Result is pretty similiar to the ODI Rogues I use on other bikes.

They’re an orrible colour though!

fr0sty
    Free Member

KCNC are an option. Have them on my rigid 29er SS

continuity
    Free Member

ESI are great apart from gloveless in the wet. Just. Don’t. Do it.

FuzzyWuzzy

Are you wearing padded gloves already? If not I’d go that route…

charliedontsurf

I have some damage going on in My hand, wrist and shoulder, and now use these on all my bikes.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/esi-chunky-silicone-mtb-grips-2234-p.asp#

ska-49
    Free Member

I always ride gloveless using my ESI grips. Ive not had any issues in the rain.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Oooh, Half a percent off the RRP at Charlie’s, who can resist? Now, what to spend that 9p on?

c_klein87

bit extreme, but i changed from nukeproof alu handlebars to Enve Composite bars on my 12 hour rigid bike and the difference in comfort was great

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another ESI convert here (having used Bonti’s lock on’s for a good number of years)
    I like the fact that ESI’s come in different colours, those blue ones match MrSchmancy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some soft grips – rigid 29er content’ is closed to new replies.