• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me some safety specs..
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

After getting berated by stw yesterday and a trip to A&E..
    Any recommendations for some eye protection..
    Cheap and cheerful or more expensive nice and non distorting lenses…

gobuchul
    Free Member

There are loads available.

What type do you want? Clear? Yellow? Tinted?

Personally I like Bolle ones, decent quality, smart enough to wear as sunglasses and fairly cheap.

Bolle glasses

nickjb
    Free Member

For DIY work or biking? For DIY is worth having some specs and some goggles. Nice lightweight specs that you are happy to keep on all the time for general diy. Bolle online or dewalt are often a couple of quid in screwfix. Goggles for grinding and heavy duty work.

swavis

Our company provides ours but they’re crap so I buy my own Bolle Silium’s. Far better than any other cheap rubbish I’ve been provided with, I wear them all day so have to be comfy without any distortion or I get headaches.

moose
    Free Member

Dude, I have a set of revision sawfly if you want them?

kormoran
    Free Member

We are using frameless wrap around clear glasses for work, they are very good. You don’t realise you have them on. They’re a generic brand, couple of quid each bought in bulk.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bolle.

I use the Contour for riding. Clear at night, ESP generally (cuts blue glare), shades for shades. There is polarised one also, though is more expensive. There’s no real need for polarised when riding, and shades I find are too dark in the trees anyway.

Probably good for DIY also. Have used them for the odd bit of sanding/cutting. Doesn’t seal round the eyes, but depends what you’re doing if that’s necessary.

£6 Amazon. Cheap as, has all the UV standards to meet safety regs for outdoor use, likewise tough to withstand impacts people may get working outdoors.

They scratch easy though, but hell, they’re £6.

fozzie
    Free Member

http://beeswift.snssafety.co.uk/shop/head-face-protection/b-brand-nevada-sh2-yellow-spec/

Comfy, cheap, arm length and arm angle adjustable. I tilt the lenses down so that I do not steam up.

Also clear and grey.

I paid £21.95 delivered for a box of ten, six years ago. Gave some to friends and colleagues and still have some left.

maccruiskeen

Ones that fit on your face. Things like nose pads tend to be moulded in so you need a pair that sit well on the bridge of your nose. If the sit too high or keep slipping down then stuffs more likely to get in.

Ones that have adjustment in the arms… those adjusters canl work loose pretty quickly and they’ll always be out of adjustment so better they are fixed and fit to start with. So if you can buy from a shop where you can try them on rather than online.

Slim arm (usually metal rather than plastic) can be more comfortable if wear them with ear defenders

kormoran
    Free Member

^ Yeah that is the sort of thing, only in clear. perfect for DIY, i’d keep a pair in each tool box. Goggles for the grinder though

ChrisL

What’s good in the world of prescription safety glasses? I have long thought that I should have a pair for trailbuilding.

revs1972
    Free Member

Face shield with safety glasses or goggles when grinding.
    Even those little bast**d grinding wheels can inflict some serious damage when they shatter !!

Northwind

For riding I use Bolle BL10s mostly, but also Decathlon’s cheapest riding glasses

thecaptain
    Free Member

One big advantage of contacts (which my wife has recently started using occasionally) is that you can get any old safety specs or goggles, doesn’t matter. She used to have fancy prescription specs for cycling, usually a pain in the arse to find the right size/shape/style and get updated prescriptions etc…

ChrisL

The last time I tried out contacts I didn’t get on very well with them. I already have prescription riding glasses, I’m hoping that prescription safety specs don’t cost as much as they did!

Northwind

Nobody gets on well with contacts the first time they try- you’re putting a bit of plastic in your eye, that’s obviously orrible. It takes a little time.

(and yesterday was literally the second time ever that I’ve had trouble with contacts in a ride)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I was surprised/impressed with the quality of Decathlon’s clear cycling specs for £4.

jonba
    Free Member

Bolle are good. UVEX are also good. So are 3M. USe them all at work, at home or on the bike. Tinted ones are good for mountain biking if you want cheap sunglasses.

ChrisL

Northwind – Member
    Nobody gets on well with contacts the first time they try- you’re putting a bit of plastic in your eye, that’s obviously orrible. It takes a little time.

It wasn’t discomfort, it was an issue with disposable lenses not handling my astigmatism properly I think – my eyesight would swim into focus intermittently but spend most of its time blurry. (Plus I had contact lenses for most of primary school, I had no fundamental issue with the concept or handling of them).

slowster
    Free Member

The last time I tried out contacts I didn’t get on very well with them. I already have prescription riding glasses, I’m hoping that prescription safety specs don’t cost as much as they did!

If you’ve already got prescription riding glasses, then I would wear them, unless the tint is too dark to use them for trail building. Although the lenses of my dhb riding glasses do not have the EN mark that is stamped into my safety spectacles, Wiggle do use the term ‘highly impact resistant’ in the product description, and I think most riding glasses are polycarbonate like safety spectacles. Oakley used to advertise their sunglasses by saying that the lenses would stop shotgun pellets.

Safety spectacles are typically cheap and cheerful products, whereas riding glasses which cost a bit more are often more comfortable to wear. I found this especially true with prescription safety spectacles, which were noticeably heavy and uncomfortable to wear. I suspect you need to spend similar money on prescription safety spectacles as precription riding glasses to get something that is comfortable to wear for long periods.

Northwind

ChrisL – Member

It wasn’t discomfort, it was an issue with disposable lenses not handling my astigmatism properly I think – my eyesight would swim into focus intermittently but spend most of its time blurry.

Ah fair dos- I never got on with toric lenses either, I just wear a plain one and ignore the astigmatism but that might not be an option for you

CHB

I was going to say Bolle, but it looks like 10 other people beat me to it! 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some safety specs..’ is closed to new replies.