Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me some roadie wheels please
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I am considering upgrading my road bike wheels and tyres from the standard Giant p-sl1 wheels. My budget is about £500. What can you suggest? Will I notice much of a difference? Is it worth upgrading these wheels? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

aP
    Free Member

I like Campagnolo Eurus as they’re reasonably light, reasonable aero and very reliable.

shedfull
    Free Member

For that money, I’d go for Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Several places seem to be selling them for around £420 a pair You didn’t say whether you’re Campag or Shimano but they’re available with either freehub.

simondbarnes

I went for Ksyrium Elites. Lightish, stiff, reliable, look good. The new red version for 2015 looks ace.

stabilizers

wheelsmith

mrblobby
    Free Member

They are a pretty decent set of wheels for training (I’d stick with them for winter.) What you looking to improve on?

Cheaper option consider a set of nice 25mm open tubular tyres and some latex tubes. Feels nicer and is faster. Certainly for summer roads.

captain-slow
    Free Member

all depends on what you are trying to achieve, aero for high speed, lightweight for hills, robust for commuting, etc.

but ksyriums are very nice…

edward2000
    Free Member

This is my ignorance, I wasn’t aware that aero wheels were available and specifically designed to reduce wind resistance! I may well consider lighter tyres/tubes etc as a cheap alternative. I’m using Shimano.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I would have said wheelsmith too….race23’s – they are impressively light and taut for the price….

However, it seems that after every wet ride, the freehub needs taking off and cleaning/drying out to stop the ratchets either sticking or seizing.

So probably not the best/most carefree choice just before winter.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

That said, Derek at Wheelsmith was pretty decent and sent me a new freehub no quibbles f.o.c. when the original started making a twanging noise under load.

And I think they do a “free spokes for life” deal, they’re that confident you won’t break them.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cero AR 30 wheelset from cycle division. 1400grms for £350 .
    Bought them, bloody impressed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ksyrium elites will be a good upgrade from those giant wheels, but maybe not earth shattering. I own both.

There may be better options, but I think you really need to know what you want. Eg. Wide rims, deep profile, light weight, stiffness.

Not a straightforward subject!

shedfull
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with aero wheels unless it’s for specific application. They’re relatively heavy for a given cost (unless you spend a lot) as the deep section is a fairing stuck onto an aluminium rim and they’re not nice to ride in crosswinds. People who buy them tend to run them as a second set of wheels and they use them when they won’t encounter crosswinds but need to go quite fast.

For your budget, an aero rim is going to add weight that will make them slow up hills without giving you much on fast, flat roads.

njee20
    Free Member

Unless you get Chinese carbon ones…

martinxyz
    Free Member

What do you weigh?

edward2000
    Free Member

Any other suggestions?

turbo1397
    Free Member

Campag zondas.. ive got the same giant wheels as you and i tried a pair of a friends zonda’s.. great set of wheels and can be had for £249 at ribble. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some roadie wheels please’ is closed to new replies.