Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • recommend me some road wheels please
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

must be disc ready clinchers and 142×12 and 15×100…

been looking at Hunt wheels, (clicky) so £370 (ish) is my budget

go!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope 20five?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Oooo… Hope… I can get them for £307 from merlin too… I think we have a contender…

Any more for any more?

jimdubleyou

My LBS built some Hydra rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs for £380.

Nice wheels.

rob2
    Free Member

Just riding along wheels. I have their non disc wheels and they’re lush. About £400 from memory

robgclarkson
    Free Member

thanks for all the recommendations (even the ones that emailed me directly 😉 ).

In the end I went the Hunt ones from the OP; they are the lightest, tubeless ready (tape and valves in the box) iso disk mounts (again in the box)… just can’t beat the Hunt ones for the complete package AND price.

Wouldvery liked the Hope ones to be lighter, but they’re 300 grams heavier *I know!!! Right!* they don’t come with the hub adapters, tubeless tape or valves, once you add all that in they’re no better value, for a heavier wheel set 🙁

Ben_H

For balance, I recently bought some of those “heavy” Hope 20Five wheels. To be fair, they’re on a Surly Straggler with Knard tyres – which is not exactly a weight weenie favourite. 🙂

However, I do also have some lighter Kinesis Racelight 700 Disc wheels, which I run as a second pair with skinnier tyres. I know they’re not Hunt wheels, but they’re a similar weight and seem considerably more delicate than my 20Fives.

The thing that swung it for me was my experience of Hope products to date. I am still rolling after many, many miles on original bearings with my 2009 Pro 2 hub for instance. I’m also confident that I’ll be able to adapt and maintain the Pro 4 hubs at the heart of the 20Fives as the years go on, whereas I’d be less confident with other brands.

I’m pretty sure that Hope wheels come with both 9mm QR and 15mm thru axle adapters, too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some road wheels please’ is closed to new replies.