Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me some rims for my Curtis
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Too many choices of rim so have now got a wee bit overloaded so looking for some assistance from the STW massive.

These are going on a wheelset with 32 hole Hope Pro 2 hubs in red and will be fitted to a Curtis Freeride hard tail which is raw with clear lacquer (this is going to change to Battleship grey soon).

It's going to be used for singletrack, messing about in the woods and possibly a bit of trail centre action. I'm 6'4" and weigh 110kg so XC rims ain't gonna work.

The headset and seatpost clamp are red Hope and the stem and seatpost are black Thomson bits

I'd like to use silver spokes and black spoke nipples if possible.

Performance is the primary factor but they've got to look good and match the bike too

What suggestions does the massive have? Backed up with pics too if possible

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I've even thought about these

nickhart
    Free Member

i've used mavic 729 to really good effect. i'm now the right side of 16.5 stone used to be 17.5+ never had a problem. they also let you run tyres at lowish pressure so you can get better traction/comfort etc. having said that i've just built some 823 tubeless and they rock but then i'm on full sus and can dial in some comfort/traction through the shock on the back.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thanks nick. I'm trying to avoid black if possible

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nick's suggestions are all fine rims but man they're heavy. I'd be using them on a DH focused bike but not for trail riding.

I am more or less the same weight as you and I find the Stans Flow rims are super stiff and strong. I've been using them for four years for everything from messing around in the woods, trail centres, rocky Peak District rides and I've even run them on my DH bike for relatively light courses.

You can get them in powder coat white and they seem to be pretty popular with peeps on STW.

ken_shields
    Free Member

geetee

Certainly Stans are on my list but getting them seems a bit difficult at the moment as nowhere has any stock

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I am using a sun mtx rim and its really good. I have been using it for 10 years and only been trued once. so +1

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ken – I believe Freeborn might have them. Have you tried contacting them? Call and speak to James – 01403 251 252. If you could also say that 'Greg was trying to help you rep his brands' he will know what you mean (it's a long story!)

thomthumb
    Free Member

get the rims that you want powder coated prior to building. lots of cool examples of this on mtbr (particularly fat bikes)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

White Syncros DS28s. I've been using a set now for 18 months in and around Calderdale where I live (my type of riding is rockier, the better), loads of trail centre work and a week in Verbier. Laced up with red Hope Pro2s on a black bike and they're awesome. MUCH better than I was expecting. Ed-O on here rates his too…

ken_shields
    Free Member

geetee

Checked freeborn and found some on Tredz as well. Freeborn were a fair bit dearer than tredz

Still quite fancy the pink camo MTX's tho 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some rims for my Curtis’ is closed to new replies.