Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me some riding kit (on the xc side of trail)
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Not done much mtb over the past couple of years but plan to do get back into it a bit more this autumn and winter. Had a rummage through the kit box and it’s all looking a bit old and boring and in need of a refresh. It’ll mostly be for local stuff, xc training rides (no gnar to shred here so no DH pyjamas required.) More race cut that leisure. Jerseys with pockets as I don’t bother with a pack most of the time. And must be aesthetically pleasing to a middle aged roadie 🙂

So what you got?

Thanks all.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not enough info, we need to know how wealthy you wish to appear, how many Strava KOMz you have, whether you’re fully into teh ENDURO and also moar importantly whether you’ll be sneering at slower people on better bikes or faster people on shite bikes. These things are important.

mrblobby
    Free Member

we need to know how wealthy you wish to appear,

Moderately.

how many Strava KOMz you have,

All of them.

whether you’re fully into teh ENDURO

Occasionally. But not what I’m looking for here.

and also moar importantly whether you’ll be sneering at slower people on better bikes or faster people on shite bikes.

I’m not much of a sneerer, but am in the fast(ish) on a shite(ish) bike camp.

Enough info?

lunge

For your intended use, just use your road kit (or buy some more road kit), as you well know, Lycra works well on a bike and for XC usage it does the job better than anything else. If you must, get a pair of fitted shorts, Giro and Rapha do such things, but really, just stick with Lycra.

mrblobby
    Free Member

For your intended use, just use your road kit (or buy some more road kit),

It’s the sort of thing I’m after but I’m not trashing my nice road kit by riding winter xc in it 🙂 I’d rather have separate sets of kit.

get a pair of fitted shorts

Don’t see the point of baggies for this sort of riding, though I might pick up a pair for when I’m mincing around a trail centre.

Some of the Endura MTR stuff is promising and available locally. May check that out. Though had some poor experiences with quality of Endura stuff a few years ago that put me right off it.

lunge

It’s the sort of thing I’m after but I’m not trashing my nice road kit by riding winter xc in it

In that case, for cheap, almost disposable kit for winter use I would suggest Decathlon (700 series, top and bottoms for £30 ish each) or Planet-X (the clubman tops are basic but good for the money, the Pro-Line stuff is OK too).

djflexure

I wear Gore baggies over lycra and they have lasted incredibly well.
    The road stuff has largely not been trashed, although some full length winter leggings now have small tears.

There is a Gore online shop TG store, or Wiggle can be competitive.

I too have had mixed results with Endura.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Decathlon or Planet-X

Not that cheap 😉

I too have had mixed results with Endura.

Is weird. Some stuff really good, other stuff just seems to fall apart quickly.

Shall check out Gore stuff, never had a bad bit of kit from them.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want baggies, look at the Troy Lee Skyline.

Yes they’re Troy Lee, but they’re very well cut, very light and available in non-enduro colours probably (mine are safety orange tho).

Yak

Just more road kit imo. Roubaix and the like is tough and stands up to the odd crash well. DHB for reasonable stuff and not too expensive. Gore too has been good for me and has lasted well.

IA

Some of the Endura MTR stuff is promising and available locally. May check that out. Though had some poor experiences with quality of Endura stuff a few years ago that put me right off it.

It’s pretty good. I particularly like the MTR bibs I have. They give good sensations.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They give good sensations.

I’m sold 🙂

lunge

Decathlon stuff is good mrblobby, really good. It’s not a posh brand but it is very good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Decathlon involves a trip to Reading 😕

lcj

There are some good deals on the Intrepid Apparel site at the moment if they’ve got your size.

More baggy than xc but really nice stuff. Haven’t had any sensations from their shorts though, so a bit disappointing.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Moderately

Bugger, I can only do pleb 😉

FWIW I was just using DHB roubaix tights and a Rapha Cross long sleeve jersey (base layer to suit) last winter, I’m a soft lad and need to stay warm though. DHB stuff is actually rather good and I wouldn’t cry when I crashed in it, Endura is a bit meh in comparison.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do quite like the dhb stuff. Got some nice bibs and wore their Vaeon Roubaix tights a lot last winter.

sparkyrhino

Can recommend the endura mtr shorts,not too baggy and great if you wear bibs,the sticky patch on rear wasteband means they don’t shift.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i just wear my Rapha stuff

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

+1 Endura MTR

mrblobby
    Free Member

i just wear my Rapha stuff

8)

I picked up the CX jersey in the sales last year, I’d wear that.

guystabler
    Free Member

Endura mtr is good. Only problem I have had is the baggy shorts which wear out quickly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

but really, just stick with Lycra.

Thought I’d bump this as I’m now a few rides into getting back to some proper XC training. Been a while since I’ve ridden an mtb and not worn baggies and it’s refreshing! So much better. Getting a comical amount of hate from my trail riding buddies though 😉

kilo

Pactimo do some nice stuff, we used them for the mtb /cx version of our club kit

Kryton57

Op, for winter / social riding I just ride my Endura Singletrack outers over my road bibs. Bibs for MTB are as great as they are for road, the outers take any abrasion / surface mud in the forest trails I ride.

The shorts I have are from 2005 or similar, and are shorter (mid Quad length) than today’d flouro garments, not sure if thats true of the 2015 model year 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Op, for winter / social riding I just ride my Endura Singletrack

My usual social riding configuration. I may pop them on when it gets properly filthy out there. For now, as it’s getting chilly, I’ve got some padless bib tights to go over my road bibs.

The shorts I have are from 2005 or similar, and are shorter (mid Quad length) than today’d flouro garments, not sure if thats true of the 2015 model year

Give it a few years and they’ll be back in fashion 🙂

matt_outandabout

DHB and Aldi /Crane seem to work well in a ‘doesn’t cost too much, doesn’t look Oik’ kind of way in our household.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some riding kit (on the xc side of trail)’ is closed to new replies.