Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me some new chainrings….
  • mrh86

Going to have to replace the chainrings on my bike soon as all starting to get a bit worn out. Using a xt770 crankset.

Should I stick to shimano rings or try middleburn, blackspire or someone else. I seem to wear out granny rings quite quickly –> chainsuck.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Chainsuck sucks.

I’ve a brand-new set of SLX M660 chainrings (very similar to XT, what with the composite middle ring and all) that I took off in order to make the chainset single ring. Been meaning to eBay them for a while.

Retails for blah, blah, blah, £60+? (a quick googling tells me). If you fancy them, posted by SD, for £25 my email’s in my profile. 🙂

z1ppy

After years of using middleburn SS/HC, I’m giving up and going to buy a deore crankset, swap the rings, keep the BB as a spare and try and sell the crank arms (still cheaper than buying the ring individually).

As a m8 asked me when I gave him the option, are the Middleburn’s (which are double or more the price of the deore’s) twice as good?
    I couldn’t tell him they were.. he went for the deore’s.

Edit: To extend the life of your rings, & stop the chainsuck for a while – get a file and take out the hook that starting to form on your rings. Just done this (again) to some Middleburn and XT rings that had been driving me crazy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peachos
    Free Member

deore steel rings all the way, unless you are one of those weight-obsessed people…

takisawa2

Deore steel for granny/middle.
    Something posh for outer.

bigjim

FSA do a sensibly priced outer. I find it amusing how much people pay for a few grams of stamped out alu!

therealhoops
    Free Member

I’ve always been a fan of TA rings especially on dual setups. Good luck find them 🙂
    Alt choice would be Middleburn hard coats.

RealMan
    Free Member

At the moment I’m running two rings, 26 and 38. The 38 is a middleburn, the 26 started off as a middleburn, and chainsucked from new whenever you changed down. After it had bedded in a bit, it chainsucked constantly. I rode a whole 3 day weekend in Wales on my big ring it was so annoying.

I changed to a deore steel 26, and it was instantly cured. Now the only time it chainsucks is when its covered in mud and I change down under load ie: my fault.

BigJohn

Steel for me. I bought a 22t from the local (Henry Burton) and when I got it home, noticed it was STX/RC. Still works a treat though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some new chainrings….’ is closed to new replies.