Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me some new brakes
  • mrflaky
    Free Member

Well the time has finally come to replace my aged Magura Louise discs with something a bit more powerful.

Riding wise I do a mix of the gravity enduro series, all day XC rides, the odd uplift and doing the Mountain of Hell this year, so more gravity orientated is my thinking (203mm rotors ideally).

Currently riding a Commencal Supreme MiniDH, dual rings, Fox 36’s, heavy but a great skill compensator on the downhills!

Money is a bit tight so looking at about 200quid max on a full set, so thinking maybe second hand? I had always run Hope’s on my DH bikes, the Maguras were free from a mate when I built up the Commencal so a bit out of touch with what is good and what is bad, seem to be some deals to be had on Avid Elixir 5’s but no idea if they are any good!

So any help, advice would be great! cheers

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would strongly recommend the new Deore XTs. While I have the XTRs myself, the only real difference is the finish (the XTs hadn’t been released when I got them). Mechanically I think they are identical and the performance has been excellent.

They are as strong as the Formula The Ones they replaced, but easier to bleed and far less temperamental on set up. The XTs should also be just about in budget.

vorlich
    Free Member

Some Formula Megas direct from the formula.it website? 172 euros

http://store.formula-brake.com/items/brake-set-mega-3

Very pleased with mine, except them came with organic pads.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrflaky
    Free Member

cheers guys, just having a look at the XT and Formula’s now;

Vorlich – did the Formula’s come bled? not a problem in itself but would no doubt need to get a Formula bleed kit (to go with the Hope, Magura & Brembo/KTM ones sitting around in the shed!)

vorlich
    Free Member

Yes, worked straight out of the box.

IHN

As ever, I will say BB7s

Hassle free install, hassle free (basically no) maintenance, powerful, great feel with SD levers, no horrible fluids to bleed/boil. Not light, but then neither’s your bike.

BB7s. They Just Work.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Saint up front, SLX out back.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Shimano brakes seem to be well thought of – I had a pair of the original Saints and they were great; needed very little fiddling, easy to bleed and set up although by today’s standards they are not that powerful.

I also really like Hayes brakes – I’ve had two sets of HFX9’s, HFX 9 Carbon and Mags, none of which let me down. Ugly, heavy, bit wooden etc but reliable. My only issue is that they are a pig to bleed.

Not to sure about the Elixir; the Juicy could do no wrong when they first came out, but there seem to be a lot of people unhappy with the performance of their Avid’s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some new brakes’ is closed to new replies.