Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me some music pls … variations on blues
  • Aus
    Free Member

After some new music – variations on

– boogie blues
    – Texan – rock blues (Lynyrd Skynyrd – esque!)
    – jazzy blues

Thanks!

Cougar

Joe Bonamasa?

aa
    Free Member

perhaps some g love and special sauce,

or g love’s solo work.

danceswithcats

For the jazz/blues thing, if you haven’t got it already, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is essential. In the same vein, Giant Steps by John Coltrane and Different Corners by Theloneus Monk should all be on the same playlist. All three albums are ‘growers’; given three listenings they are in you. Technically, I believe they’re actually bebop, but that’s really just a reawakening of blues for a more modern era, so I think they’re relevant.

King Curtis’ final album, Live at Fillmore West, is more of an easy listening disc, but is very beautiful. It includes the version of A Whiter Shade of Pale that plays over the opening of Whitnail and I. It is also interesting, because it is the live disk recorded the week before he was stabbed and killed. Morbid, but true.

The term ‘Texan’ sends shudders up my spine, whether related to music or politics, but I know what you mean. There is an Italian Blues band called Strozzini who did a wonderful album called Murphy’s Law, which is really intensely good; the final track, Go Away, was used on a Mountain Bike Video a few years ago and is a huge, camp blues anthem, like a parody of American self-pity rock. Unfortunately, Strozzini have since changed labels and Murphy’s Law is not easy to get. I bought it through the Ubuntu Music store on Rhythmbox, but I’m not sure whether that is still up and running.

Any search for jazzy blues that doesn’t include SoulIISoul is incomplete. Their third album, Just Right, went very jazzy and is a perfect album for the headphones on a solo mountain biking day out.

aa
    Free Member

jazzy b was at a gig i did at the rock garden in covent gardens a few years ago. He’s a wee fella, but had a presence about him.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Early AC /DC

_tom_
    Free Member

The Kills for something a bit more modern with a dirty bluesy feel.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINdVagq7Gc[/video]

Oh and The Black Keys

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK446tjll2Q[/video]

Lucero might be worth a listen as well.

colournoise

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLddnG2VBc[/video]

Along with the rest of the Whiteout album. Although the earlier stuff is worth checking out too (if only to see where Jack White, The Kills et al got all their ideas from) –

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1LB4StySo[/video]

slainte 8) rob

danceswithcats

tom, nice. I’d heard of the kills, but not listened.

manitou
    Free Member

The Allman Brothers Band
    The Derek Trucks Band
    Ian Siegal
    Matt Schofield Trio
    Robben Ford

MartynS

Stevie Ray Vaughan..

Muke
    Free Member

Slim Lightfoot

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Early ZZ Top.

Joe Bonamassa, +many.

The Black Crowes.

Blues Traveler.

George Thorogood.

Canned Heat.

The Grateful Dead.

Rory Gallagher.

Gov’t Mule.

Early Fleetwod Mac.

Robin Trower.

Stevie Ray Vaughan.

That should keep you going for a while!

MussEd
    Free Member

New music ? White Denim, Alabama Shakes, black keys, jack whites new record, kassidy…

llamaknob
    Free Member

Clutch

stratobiker
    Free Member

young guns…..
    kenny wayne shepherd
    jonny lang
    oli brown

old skool……
    kenny burrel
    scott henderson

also…….
    kylie minogue

🙂

SB

_tom_
    Free Member

Danceswithcats, I’ve only just got into them as well, had them mixed up with The Thrills who are crap so i never listened!

Aus
    Free Member

that’s brilliant – thanks all. And happened upon Dishwalla recently (1990’s ‘grunge’?) which I’ve loved … any recos along those lines too would be welcome. It’s great getting recos for new (old) stuff.

Ta

mikey74
    Free Member

The Allman Brothers
    Gov’t Mule
    Clutch (for something bluesy, but a bit heavier)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan – Live at Montreaux.

Sandwich

Try some Marcus Bonfanti for modern blues.

danceswithcats

Aus, if grunge is in the mix, do you like Bush? (I know..fnarr fnarr) The album that always gets slagged off-The Science of Things, is my favourite, although Razorblade Suitcase is brilliant for bad temper days. I’ll check Dishwalla. I have vague memories of a flatmate having an album, I think.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some music pls … variations on blues’ is closed to new replies.