Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me some knee pads! And elbow pads maybe!
  • hopefiendboy

Hi all

Looking for some knee pads for general riding or enduro stuff. My son is getting into it and therefore I am too!

As I’m an xc rider I have no idea about this sort of kit.

Any recommendations or bargains out there? Would reckon I need a large size.

Cheers in advance!

mark90
    Free Member

Review of lighter pads here….

14 Knee Pads Tested & Reviewed

I really like my POC air knee pads, all day pedal comfy and I have tried out the protection many times.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m asking Santa for another pair of Dainese Trailskins …

matt_outandabout

We had kids 661 pads – OK, but a real hard ‘lump’ – underneath the nice cover they are very retro looking skate pads from 1990’s….

Eldest_OAB has some very comfy Bliss pads – quite ‘full on’, but confiest I have tried.

I am thinking of getting some for all OAB’s this year, following a concentration lapse in the alps last summer that led to fall…

Akers

+1 for POC Air. The elbow pads a great too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I tried a massive range of them on before settling on POC VPD2.0. When out on the bike, they’re not as comfy as when trying on at home or in the shop. Annoying. My previous 661 Kyle Straits were comfier.

A fave from my mass trying on session were Dainese Trail Skins 2. They are a lot lighter and less bulky and – in retrospect – a better pad for my riding. STW liked them too.

southcoaststeve
    Free Member

I went for the Alpinestars Paragon after reading the STW reviews, best value and light.
    They are reasonably priced and light, however they slide down my legs at an alarming rate, my legs measured up on the threshold for medium / large, I opted for medium assuming they might give a bit, they simply don’t stay in place. Annoying.
    However, they are comfortable and will protect my shins at least, on the plus side, since I’ve been wearing them I haven’t fallen off the bike!

sideshow
    Free Member

Call me old school but I really like my old style Fox Launch Knee Shin guards. Plastic stormtrooper style and cover the shin as well right down to the ankle. Comfy enough to ride uphill in as well but if you don’t like that then quick to take on/off for a big climb.

Not sure they’re available any more – shin protection has gone out of fashion. In 3 years time they’ll probably be selling it to us again like it’s the latest innovation.

sideshow
    Free Member

The *old* fox launch elbow/forearm guards were good as well, but the later hard plastic ones they really screwed up and made overly fat and clunky. I had to return a pair despite loving my mates ones I had borrowed for about a year (same product line).

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve been using RaceFace Charge – very light and comfortable.

kayak23

Big fan of G-form. Been wearing them a couple of years now.
    Very comfortable with D30 type stuff in them.

This isn’t me wearing them.

joemmo
    Free Member

tried the Alipinestars Paragon and they were comfy and generally stayed in place despite feeling a little loose, however the stitching started to fail after a few hours riding and I returned them for refund. Replaced with the POC VPD which are better made but not as comfortable and tend to be a bit pinchy behind the knee annoyingly.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the POC VPD Air pads, I’ve got both knee and elbow.

z1ppy

Replaced my G-Form with Mk1 Trailskins, both were/are great and I’m happy to recommend either, though the later feel slightly more bulky so inspire more piece of mind pre ride 😀
    Or do what my m8 did, buy every one CRC stock, try them all on and keep the set that he liked

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member
    honeybadgerx

Dainese trail skins are ace. Comfy all day but more protection than gform type pads.

strangey13
    Free Member

I’ve found Fox, Dakine and Troy Lee stuff normally fit well and wear well too. Same as everything though that its probably best to try as many as you can and decide how much you want to spend and protect.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Nookie bikes on pink bike are selling Troy Lee Shock Doctors at half price. Bit tougher than the super light weight ones, but I’ve had them for a couple of rides so far and they’ve been great, very comfy and clean up like new in the wash.

djbmtb
    Free Member

Race Face ambush knee pads for me. Personally find them very comfy but they have the advantage of being able to undo all the velcro straps to take them off without removing shoes. Ideal for long uphills on hot days

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t really see the point of the skimpy knee pads.

These mofos are indestructable, very comfy and despite being bulky I totally forget I’m wearing them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox-racing-launch-pro-knee-guards-ss17/rp-prod60809

blitz

Tried quite a few in the summer. Ended up with IXS flow’s. Felt the best balance of comfort and protection. Fit well, stay in place and don’t really notice them once you’re riding.

ads678

Ive got some older bulkier race face dig for big stuff and some g forms for general mtbing. The g forms are well comfy.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some knee pads! And elbow pads maybe!’ is closed to new replies.