Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me some (inexpensive) lights
  • slackboy

Hi,
    So I’m thinking about doing some night riding but don’t know where to start light wise. Can someone recommend some inexpensive lights to get me started.

I’m pretty crap so won’t be doing any serious off road – think bridlepath, easier singletrack rather than Gnarrr. Probably on Holcombe Hill if thats any help.

What do I need – is a head torch a good idea as well?

any suggestions from Amazon grateful accepted (I’ve a voucher to use)

Thanks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

UTFS

DezB
    Free Member

(or, what he said)

slackboy

UTFS

Thats very helpful, thank you.

DezB
    Free Member

My pleasure

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Gullad Dez 😀

alexpalacefan

There’s a guy selling a perfect Exposure set up on the classifieds.

I’d be making a cheeky offer for the pair.

APF

woody2000

I bought one of those solarstorms recently. Lasted one ride, cheap shit. Thankfully Amazon refunded no questions. I only bought it as some **** nicked my Diablo. I’ll never buy a cheap light again! I’ve bought a lezyne deca drive 1500xxl (great name) for £90 from rutland

DezB
    Free Member

I bought one of those solarstorms recently. Lasted one ride,
    I’ve got 2 and recommended to others who have had no problems.
    I’ll never buy an expensive light again!

dmorts

mtb batteries V2 @ £70 Great light, even better at the current price

Alpkit Headtorch Looks pretty good, also smaller version available

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Headlight is the best thing as it points where you are looking.
    Bar light can double up and give a wider flood beam of the general ground.
    Claimed lumen’s are about as accurate as internet dating profiles
    Beam pattern and lenses are more important than power

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 and recommended to others who have had no problems.
    I’ll never buy an expensive light again

+1. Very happy with Solarstorm X2. They are a couple of years old now so there are bigger and brighter models but these are fine. Much prefer a bar light personally. Never really felt the need for a helmet light with these bright LEDs

lunge

Get a SolarStorm, I have one and it does a great job for not much money. If its crap then send it back, Amazon are good for returns.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I bought some lights ftom C&BSeen which are superb. They are not the cheapest you’ll find, however they are a good balance between price and quality. A few in my group have them now & all rave about them. Easily on a par with lights 4x as expensive. Their customer service is also superb. I had a problem with mine and was sent a replacement unit the same day I spoke to the chap. Just told me to send back the old one whenever I got the chance. Since then they have been faultless, as have those of the 4 guys I tide with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

occasional use a solar storm being aware the battery is the really weak point

Something more expensive just gets you a proper [ and therefore decent ] battery not a better light

I have solar storms for the kids when they go out night riding and have used them myself but lack of battery life [ 2 ish hours is all i would trust them for] is the problem with these light as I need 4 hours +

medoramas
    Free Member

Niterider Lumina 750 and 400. Shopping around you’d get both for about £90 now, as they’ve released new series and the standard Lumina’s get nice price reductions.

The 750 comes with helmet mount, but stick the lamp on the handlebars, then fit the 400 on your lid (using the mount from 750). Perfect lights in my opinion (and proper jobbies, not some Chinese copies of the copies of the copies…)

slackboy

Thanks all. Went for the solarstorms. At £15 it seemed rude not to.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some (inexpensive) lights’ is closed to new replies.