Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Recommend me some good books for holiday!
  • woody74

Need some good book recommendations for holiday. Nothing to high brow but easy reads for the beach whilst keep an eye on my two kids. Open to fiction and non fiction.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

maybe a bit niche, but I’m loving some classic Chinese literature just now. Reading The Water Margin, Outlaws of the Marsh. Plenty of violence, easy read, it can just be a bit hard to follow the characters because of the names.
    Recently read The Romance Of the Three Kingdoms, enough plot twists and turns to make Game of Thrones look like Noddy Goes To The Shops, totally engrossing and a brilliant read (IMO). Not highbrow as such, but takes a bit of following, like who’s who and who’s on which side this chapter. Get the Moss Roberts translation though, there is a free Kindle download but it was more like an academic textbook, Moss Roberts is written as a readable book.

Next on the list will be Journey Into the West (aka Monkey).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

For a bit of fantasy fiction then Joe Abercrombie’s books are excellent. First Law Trilogy.

For historical fiction Conn Iggulden books are good. Really liked the Ghengis Khan series.

For a crime/political slant then James Ellroy would be a recommendation. Either the la quartet or the American tabloid trilogy.

Robert Harris, Neil Gaimen, Kurt Vonnegut for some classic stuff and Philip K Dick. all good stuff.

For non fiction, Tom Wolffe -The Right Stuff, In the heart of the sea by…cannae remember, Ted Simon – Jupiter’s Trave, Robert Harris – Selling Hitler.

servo
    Free Member

I really enjoyed “Ready Player One” by Ernest Cline. Speilberg is making it into a film. Sci-fi, virtual reality, dystopian future, 80s retro 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some good books for holiday!’ is closed to new replies.