Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Recommend me some cranks for a rohloff
  • mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

I need to buy some new cranks for my rohloff setup

i always fancied some XTR cranks, perhaps secondhand.

Has anyone found a set of cranks that give a good chainline with the Rohloff.

Cheers

bencooper
    Free Member

The outer chainring of a standard triple is usually about right for a Rohloff.

Chain line is over-rated anyway 😉

avdave2

Chain line is over-rated anyway

I assume that’s your general attitude to slinging something together for your customers – yeh that’ll do it’s not quite right but it’ll work. 🙂
    I bet you’ve spent hours making sure you’ve got your chainline spot on on all those Rohloff builds you’ve done.

Middleburn do a Rohloff specific single ring chainset.

bencooper
    Free Member

Note to self: don’t make jokes on here, some people take it seriously 😉

Actually, yes – for most Rohloff builds I get the chainline as straight as is reasonably possible, but for some it’s not possible to have a dead straight chainline, and it has no effect on performance. Derailleurs manage fine without a straight chainline.

Middleburn do, and it’s lovely – and there are other Rohloff-specific chain sets – but they’re really single-speed chain sets of the right size with the chainring in the outer ring position. There’s no magic about it, Rohloff designed the hub to have the same chainline as the big ring (if you use the 15,16 or 17t cog).

trail_rat
    Free Member

all i did to get my chainline right with standard Xt chainset and a renthal ring on outer was-

take the spacers out the BB cup on the right and fit them to the LHS instead to shift the whole chainset left…. its not right , not pretty to the trained eye but straight 😀 (and middleburn spiders and their Xtype cranks were not around when i built that bike…… – my new rohloff build “may” get some middleburn Xtype Fat cranks though now that i know about this)

ndthornton
    Free Member

Raceface cranks have 2 small spacers on the axle which allow you to fine tune the position as they are about half the thickness of a BB spacer. I found these very useful when setting up my Alfine as its not ideal to be moving the cranks by a large amount.

They were raceface Evolve – cant confirm all Raceface cranks have them but it seems likely.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some cranks for a rohloff’ is closed to new replies.