• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by flip.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me… some classical music
  • highclimber
    Free Member

I’ve just listened to Beethoven’s 7th (allegretto) which has put me in the mood for some more but I have no idea where to start other than I like that type of classical movements. I don’t care for piano stuff that much.

Any recommendations away from the obvious options?

seahouse
    Free Member

Holst Planet Suite is great, just about every sci fi movie you have ever seen has ripped it off in some way

mogrim

I’d search for Proms on Youtube, they’re not all Land of Hope and Glory… Another good search is for Gustavo Dudamel, the conductor.

But to answer the question: How about a bit of Mahler?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’d take the number 7 down one and listen to the Pastoral (6th) symphony, which is my favourite, but it is obvious (you said away from the obvious).

How about:

Overture from Tannhauser (Wagner)
    Shostakovich (Jazz suites 1 and 2)
    Mussorgsky A Night on Bare Mountain
    Dvorak Symphony No 9 (New World)

Enjoy.

crazy-legs

If you like Beethoven, try some of Haydn’s symphonies.
    The later ones are the best known/most played so go for #92 – #104. Similar to Beethoven & Mozart in many ways – Haydn was Beethoven’s teacher for a while.

deluded
    Free Member

I like the heavier stuff –

Carl Orff – O Fortuna

Hector Berlioz – Dreams of a Witches Sabbath

Richard Wagner – Parsifal, Ring

globalti
    Free Member

Get yourself some “Best of…” compilation CDs, that’s a great way of listening to new composers in easily swallowed chunks.

martinhutch

Try Dvorak’s Cello Concerto. There are passages v. similar to that particular movement, and it is a heart-rendingly beautiful piece of music at times.

The Berlioz mentioned above – Symphonie Fantastique, is worth a listen in its entirety – four or five very different movements.

Other composers definitely worth trying out include Brahms and Bruckner.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Beethoven 7 is one of my favourites! Check out the 9th-epic! Perhaps try some Vivaldi ie 4 seasons etc. For more hardcore modernish stuff try Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring

AdamW
    Free Member

Try Sibelius’s fifth symphony. Search out “Strawberry Switchblade” on YouTube – same theme!

SnS
    Free Member

Id agree with globalti in the sense that a selection of compilation cd’s can cover a wide area in a short space of time.

Don’t fully discard the piano…or anything else for that matter – It’s quite surprising what you end up enjoying.

You seem to like Beethoven. I would class Beethoven as one of the easiest composers to listen to. ( & tbh he’s also one of my perennial favorites). – Try listening to a good version of “Moonlight Sonata” ….Then tell me you don’t like piano 😉

Chris

Sandwich

Ofra Hannoy Cello stuff is worth a listen. The Vivaldi flute concertos are nice too.

scaredypants

Beethoven violin concerto’s lovely (as is 9th, as above)

There’s a Saint-Saens organ summatorother that’s brilliant

I love The Barber of Seville for singalongascaredy moments

and I’ve always liked Wagner’s Ring ( 😉 😳 )

HB47

try listening to Radio 3 or Classical FM for a few weeks to experiment – also as Radio 3 is now available on the IPlayer you can pick and choose

takisawa2

I can listen to Ludovico Eienaudi for hours. So relaxing.”The arrival of the queen of Sheba” is a great peice also, as heard at weddings all over.

If you fancy something a bit more modern, check out Codes in the Clouds.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Elgar’s Enigma
    Walton’s Battle of Britain Suite
    Copland’s Appalachian Spring

stuartie_c
    Free Member

A bit of Mozart?

Allegro con brio from Symphony no 25 in G Minor (and Fabian Cancellara’s awesome descending skills)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA[/video]

flip
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JG8KkWhsiY[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me… some classical music’ is closed to new replies.