• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me some chisels – woodworking ones.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have a nice bit of beech that I want to carve something out of for my sons birthday. Recommend me some half decent chisels.

derp
    Free Member

Wouldn’t he prefer an Xbox? 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

He is 4.

And we have an xbox.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My Dads a carpenter most of his tools are Stanley. I’ve inherited his old set, still going strong.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As you can imagine, you can go crazy and spend silly money if you want, which I’m sure you probably don’t want to do.

I have two sets: Stanley for cooking, Marples for shagging (if you know what I mean).

If you look after a decent set of Marples, they’ll last you years.

EDIT: Marples

Stanley

Beech is a very hard, close grained hardwood (hence it gets used for butchers blocks, chopping boards etc) and will need decent kit.

What you planning to carve then SBZ?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I can reliably inform you new Stanley aren’t as good, Marple red-yellow are were it’s at now and the handles are gauranteed split proof. So ignore my earlier post 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Marple red-yellow are were it’s at now and the handles are gauranteed split proof.

Indeed – they’re a tenner more than the set I recommended but well worth it IMO 🙂

maccruiskeen

chisels are for dovetails and mortices + tennons, which is nice if you’re making you’re son a dressing table. For ‘carving’ you want gouges (if SBZ Jr is getting a rocking horse for Chrismas), which your less likely to find in B&Q.

Its the sort of thing you’d get in Tiranti or Axminster. Or if you are a man who is really into his choppers you can get a weighty tome full of tools sent to you from the continent under plain wrapper from the gentlemen at Dick. No innuendo intended, but if you’ve got wood, get dick.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Not made a final decision on what I’m going to make him yet, but it’ll be quite intricate and take a few months to finish – it’ll include playing with a woodturning lathe too.

derp
    Free Member

Intricate like this:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The best chisels I’ve ever owned are my Robert Sorby firmer chisels. Unsurprising they’re not cheap.

I suspect their curving chisels are up the job too.

http://www.buckandryan.co.uk/product.php/site/froogle/sn/SOR606

neninja
    Free Member

Got a set of Marples red/yellow and they are excellent. Much better than any I’ve owned before.

Cougar

Is there anything STW can’t fix?

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Marples, on offer at £50ish iirc.
    However they get used very little, as I use the set from Screwfix – Forge Steel :
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-wood-chisel-set-3pcs/86451

These got a good review in Good Woodworking mag a year or so back, and were rated better than the Marples. 3.5 for the Marples, 4 for the Forge Steel.
    Stanley Fatmax got 4.5.
    Overall, they were all much of a muchness as regards quality, but if price is a factor, then the Forge Steel are way in front.
    It was noted in the mag that almost all of the chisels had to be flattened and sharpened properly before use.
    Alan.

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re buying chisels don’t forget the stone and a sharpening guide.

project
    Free Member

A dremel or an electric carving tool work better, with no malleting, dont forget youll also need some skill and a bench or vice to hold the beech to.

ALWAYS CARVE AWAY FROM YOU AND BLUNT TOOLS WILL INJURE YOU.

Learnt that during my appreticegship and still got a squidgy thumb, from where the chisel took part of it away.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh indeed, there are few things more useless (and dangerous at times) than a blunt chisel 😀

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve got a set of oire nomi chisels, which i think means “wood chisel chisel” seeing as nomi means chisel already in japanese. anyway, they look a little like this:

their construction is similar to that of a samurai sword. folded layers of hard and soft steel. they can be sharpened up to be sharper than Marples and will stay sharper for longer.

they do chip more easily and because of the hardness of the steel it takes longer to buff/grind out any chips. sharpening is also a PITA, again as it takes a lot longer than for normal chisels and it is best done with a wet stone. but then again you needn’t sharpen them as often as a standard chisel.

HTH

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Anyone from the ******* community, very high probability of finding a chiseller amongst that lot, they’re all at it.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Marples here too, paired up with a trend fast track sharpening kit

-m-
    Free Member

On the Forge Steel ones from Screwfix it’s worth noting that it’s currently cheaper to buy them separately than as part of the set…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some chisels – woodworking ones.’ is closed to new replies.