Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some cheese …
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Seriously.

I like a good strong cheddar, the sort that makes your mouth a bit sore, you know what I mean – is it your taste buds that react or something (someone once said this but it could be wrong?), but the stuff I get from my local supermarket constantly disappoints and what is labelled as mature tastes like flavourless wax. So what can I look out for, I'm happy to buy online and get some delivered if someone can recommend some and a place to buy it … I had a quick google but some are very expensive or have high postage, looking for maximum taste good value, so anyone?

Bear
    Free Member

if you ever get to Canterbury then the Goods Shed has a good selection

ton

wensleydale with rhubarb.
    and do not laugh.
    i too ama extra strong cheese kind of bloke.
    but the wensleydale with rhubarb is delicious.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Lincolnshire Poacher Double Barrel. You'll never look back.

ridingscared
    Free Member

montgomery cheddar is nice, as is Hereford Hop. Look in a local deli of farmers market as opposed to your supermarket (though Waitrose have a fair selection). Go for the cheese made with unpasteurised milk. Chandos deli in bristol is excellent, as is the slow food market we have here every month. Comparing say cathedral city with a good locally made cheese is like comparing a fine single malt with bells, though it can be more expensive you'll use far less as the taste is that much stronger.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Mmmm, thanks for the quick replies, these sound like they might be local or speciality shop cheeses, I'll have to do some digging around my local area – Sussex if anyone has recommendations for that area? – but I'll make a list and look out for any suggestions

😀

earl_brutus

davidstow extra mature, not a bad ole cheese, get it down the coop

brakes
    Free Member

second the Montgomery Cheddar, the normal is good, but the smoked is to die for, if a little hard

Pigface
    Free Member

Colliers is pretty good for pre packed.

beej

Snowdonia Cheese Co, Black Bomber.
    http://www.snowdonia-cheese.co.uk/

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Snowdonia cheese Black Bomber looks good, yummy 😛 Amber Mist looks good too, mature cheddar laced with whisky, out of stock though …

twang
    Free Member

earl_brutus – Member
    davidstow extra mature, not a bad ole cheese, get it down the coop

Ay, and tesco…..proper strong and yet creamy, not sour

RichPenny
    Free Member

Montgomerys Cheddar is indeed pretty good, you could get it in Waitrose a while back, pay for it though… It is available in extra mature, 24 months I think but that's not so common. Keens Cheddar is also very good. As an alternative, Cornish Yarg is very tasty.

Find a local deli, they'll sort you out. Buying it online is prohibitively expensive unless you get loads and freeze it.

Pembo
    Free Member

+1 for black bomber, my local deli stocked Monty's for a few years which I really enjoyed but they just started selling black bomber. A bit drier than Monty's but a better flavour.

TexWade
    Free Member

Tickler Cheddar is the one I like – get it from Waitrose.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some cheese …’ is closed to new replies.