Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend Me Some Cheapish DH Rims/Wheelset
  • philwarren11
    Free Member

After ripping the sidewalls and pretty much ruining my rims on uplift days I’m looking for a second set of wheels for DH use. I’m pretty heavy, well I am heavy, 18 stone and according to strava I ride quite fast. Lol.

Don’t care about tubeless ready, tried it, kept ripping the tyres off the rims.

Go!

toys19
    Free Member

It is a risk to say it here, but I have had superstars cheapest DH wheels for years now and they are brilliant. I am a fat, hard braking, hard riding, low skill, lands like a skydiving baby elephant git..

b45her
    Free Member
    philwarren11
    Free Member

Great price on those rims but the hubs dont get good write ups, especially on a 20mm and 142/12, which is what i need.

scruff
    Free Member

What rims did you ruin? my Nukeproof (sunn MTX rims) wheels were a bargain but dent pretty easy, but mostly straightened out easily enough with molgrips. Mavic rims are pretty robust IME.

cookeaa

Mavic Fan boi here:

I reckon the EX729 would be appropriate, Cheaper than an EX823, normal eyeles, non UST… used to be D321s (I’ve still got some fully functioning D321s) Weighs a shade more more (~700g?) but if its Biff-core riding you plan to do then accept the mass and plough on…

If you really want to save a couple of hundred grams there’s the EX721 (590g) again pretty robust but if you are a weighty rider pushing the wheels hard I’d say EX729 on whatever hubs you fancy…

Having said all of that OP you said you were “ripping the sidewalls” could the issue be more tyre selection than rim choice?

legend
    Free Member

Superstar hubs are fine. The standard bearing wont last too long, but decent replacements when they do go will sort them right out. Standard Switch freehub is solid too

philwarren11
    Free Member

Roval Traverse rims on my Stump evo.

Some great info tho, thanks people. 🙂

Very good question regarding the tyre choice, they were a set of Specialized Purgatory tyres, 2.3, which are tubeless ready.

The rims have had a battering in 6 months, ive managed to get the most of the dings out with a flat plate and a set of mole grips.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I have a pair of Halo Combat wheels that are for sale.
    bombproof rims, 36h, white.

Interested?

jairaj

Great price on those rims but the hubs dont get good write ups, especially on a 20mm and 142/12, which is what i need.

The Switch hubs are great its the Tesla hubs that have a few dodgy reviews.

creamegg
    Free Member

I am a fat, hard braking, hard riding, low skill, lands like a skydiving baby elephant git

core

Nobody has said Stans Flow on Pro 2 evo yet. (Standard ST response).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

OP wants “cheapish”…

core

People seem to think you can get them for £275 the pair…………..

legend
    Free Member

Heavy plougher with non-eyeleted Flows? Definitely not what the OP needs

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@core

£275 isn’t cheap

£143 for the superstars – that’s more like cheap

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Me Some Cheapish DH Rims/Wheelset’ is closed to new replies.