Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me some cheap wheels
  • flyingmonkeycorps

My Superstar wheels have given up the ghost after three years of no maintenance. Well the rear hub has, the front is ok; but both the rims are quite battered, so I think it’s time to upgrade to something new and shiny. Before I press the Superstar button, are there any bargains out there?

Need to be 26″, 20 mm front and 142 x 12 mm rear, with chunky rim. Which puts most factory wheel sets out the equation.

mikey74
    Free Member

What sort of riding/bike?

flyingmonkeycorps

That would help wouldn’t it! Cotic Rocket, Peak District, occasional big mountain trips, trail centres, local woods… I’m not the most gentle rider. Tubeless would be nice but not essential.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheeky weekday bump! I’m currently looking at the Tesla / Tactic combo on Superstar, any feedback or suggestions? Budget of around £250.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Oh no here we go… 😆

IMPO, would never touch SS from a customer’s pov.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Perhaps DT Swiss iirc do a 1900 wheel set which may fit your criteria.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve had a couple of wheelsets from SS in the past and been really pleased with them to be fair. Just wondering if there are any better options. I shall have a look at those DTs…

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Crank bros iodine wheels are cheap at the mo but unsure myself what they are like.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ironically with my tacit liking for Superstar I’m not a fan of Crank Brothers. I did have a look at them on Merlin (they do seem well priced) but they’re a 135 x 9 mm rear, and I’m not convinced you can get a converter to 142 x 12 mm (though willing to be proven wrong).

chakaping
    Free Member

See if the superstar tech 4 wheels take a 20mm front axle.

If so I think they are unbeatable on value. Get the ds25 rim for your needs.

flyingmonkeycorps

The Tech 4’s do look perfect, but all the rims are currently out of stock :/

chakaping
    Free Member

Worth emailing them, they usually advise on expected delivery dates for new stock.

I have those wheels and would buy again without hesitation, have been battering them for six months with no issues at all.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I have done. Probably worth hanging on if it’s not gonna be too long, they look pretty spot on.

Either that or try to fix the one I have, but I reckon it’s been on borrowed time for a while now.

flyingmonkeycorps

Balls. That said, restock November / December. Might have to try the Teslas after all.

**Edit** Or the EX23s but only in gold, which would ruin the lovely black and white colour scheme of my bike.

craig24
    Free Member

https://www.bikesyndicate.com/product/hope-hoop-wheelset-mountain-bike/

£288 Hope Hoops when using 10% off code on their website.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Rerim your front with the same rim?

Buy new rear?

spectabilis
    Free Member

DT Spline E1900.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some cheap wheels’ is closed to new replies.