Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me some Canti brakes
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Thinking of taking the cable discs off my CX bike so was wondering whats the best canti brake to replace them with. They will need to go with Durace levers and would prefer silver.

Also where would be the best place to put the front canti cable mount as I'll need to get one of those too

Thanks for any assistance

Ken

Picto
    Free Member

Tediously traditional but I used froglegs on my old cross bike with old ultegra levers. Were OK but stopping power was woeful compared to the BB7s I now use. On the plus side froglegs were easy to set up compared to an old set of Dia compe 987s I used initially.

I would only fit cantis rather than discs if needed for a specific event. Less stopping power and make a mess of the rims in winter.

aP
    Free Member

Teltro make some decent wide canti brakes and apart from in very wet conditions they work much better than the shimano road cable discs on my Portland.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm happy with Frogglegs, I found them fiddly to install but great to fine tune and excellent stoppers.
    Also got Tektros which are very tidy and have the advantage of fully adjustable pads.
    I choose to race on the Frogs though.

My canti guide is directly above the headset, I have never ever experienced any issues with that set up.

Stoner
    Free Member

These Tektros have more power than the original On-Ones that were on here.

I think these are the 720s

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I'd go froglegs or Tektro out of choice like those above, but actually use some old crappy shimano ones-because I'm tight & got them FOC from my old shop

marionheck
    Free Member

I have a set of froglets for sale if you want, brand new and never used.

Email me at dnwsmith @ hotmail .com

There are sitting there doing nothing so can have them cheap. Thy are White. £20 posted for the pair.

epicyclo

I reckon the quality of the outer cable used has more to do with how good cantis are than which brand.

Going to Jagwire transformed my cantis. I had tried 3 different makes of cantis and then I twigged it was the cables, not the brakes that were the problem. I also found that using old fashioned top loading brake levers instead of aero made a difference. Nothing wrong with the quality of the aeros, but the cable run with the older style brake levers is smoother.

It is also useful to stick a cable adjuster into the rear brake cable – I find I can never judge the rear cable length spot on before clamping the cable end down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some Canti brakes’ is closed to new replies.