Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some brakes for my Orange Alpine please
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Recommend me some brakes for my Orange Alpine.
    Max budget £100 an end.

tony07
    Free Member

What are you currently running? Do you like them?

I’ve had avids and shimanos. And never got on with the shimano xt’s. Loads of power but no feel compared to avids. But they are easier to look after.

Going back to avids personally from shimano xt’s

guitarhero
    Free Member

Will be replacing Saint M810’s which I like.
    Got SLX and Deore on other bikes.
    The easy choice would be XT’s but just interested in what people are using

nickdavies

What’s wrong with the saints?
    IIRC wasn’t the thing to do with M810 calipers to stick XTR levers on them? Would cost £100 for both ends together.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

2 choices in brakes at the min in my mind. Spend the money and get some Hopes, I run M4s and despite what some say they have loads of power but most importantly amazing modulation. Or save the money and buy Shimano which for the price and are just impossible to beat right now. As above why are you changing if you like the saints? The saints are a potent brake, others might not feel quite as anchor like.

guitarhero
    Free Member

My saints already have the xtr lever mod, and they have been great brakes, but the rear has lost power and bleading ain’t getting it back, so assuming I need new brakes,
    What are people using and liking?
    Tossing up between;
    Shimano xt
    Avid elixer 9 trail
    hope e4 in purple

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Welovemountains.com have formula the ones for your budget. I have them, and also new XT on my other bike, the formulas are 3 years old, and every bit as good as the XT, if not better.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been a big fan of Formula The Ones, but I have to admit the newer ones seem to be losing a bit of the reliability they had – and also the modulation doesn’t seem as great.

Still good, but not as completely awesome as they were. Just got a pair of SLX myself for my AM bike.

Scamper
    Free Member

Zee? Heavier than deore, but more modulation than xt/slx and all the power you need

johnhe

I love he Shimano XT’s. I’ve tried Hope Mono Minis, Magura Julies and Hayes Stoker Trails and I much, much prefer the XT’s to any of those. There are lots I haven’t tried though, but I’m just saying that Deores/SLX/XT seem to be very popular for a reason.

kedmun
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Welovemountains.com have formula the ones for your budget. I have them, and also new XT on my other bike, the formulas are 3 years old, and every bit as good as the XT, if not better.

Sorry to hijack a bit, but do you find the Formula brakes a PITA to get set up properly? Seems to be VERY little room between pads & disk to get the calipers straightened. I’ve spent whole evenings swearing away while trying to get them silent! The front has a tendency to hoooowl down hills, even if dry, if I get them slightly off.

FYI, never had such an issue with Shimano Deore brakes on my old Cube – considering ditching these Formulas for some Shimanos…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kedmun, can’t say I had that issue with either the ones, or the megas tbh. I’ve had the ones on my soul for over three years, and they are still excellent.

lornholio
    Free Member

Will be replacing Saint M810’s which I like.

Zees. Pretty much the same as Saints minus the supplied finned pads, tool-free reach adjust and free stroke screw. Throw some M4 16mm grub screws into them and you’ve got the free stoke adjustment if you want it.

I’ve had mine for a few weeks now – excellent. Not as good modulation as Avids but better than my old SLXs, and Shimano’s famous easy bleeding. About €190 posted from the Germans at the moment.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of my XT’s but if I’m honest my Deores feel better at the lever despite numerous bleeds. The XT’s feel a bit more powerful but have bigger rotors.

I like Formula brakes but they parts are silly expensive but are at least available whereas when Shimano brakes die levers or callipers need replacing.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Taken a punt on some X0 trails. Cheers for the replies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some brakes for my Orange Alpine please’ is closed to new replies.